Now They Want To Be Able To Vote!

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
In 2013, North Carolina passed one of the worst pieces of voter suppression legislation in the nation.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
This is just so freaking ridiculous. Instead of working against mandatory ID for voting purposes, which without it elections are rife for exploitation, why are people not demanding access to ID for those that can't afford the fees?

Such a stupid argument against this and, of course, more hand wringing.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
This is just so freaking ridiculous. Instead of working against mandatory ID for voting purposes, which without it elections are rife for exploitation, why are people not demanding access to ID for those that can't afford the fees?

Maybe because they are fine with no voter ID . Much easier to game the system .

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
if they ever let the gays vote I'm gonna light myself on fire.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
can't ruin my gayties weekend man...rock on 97.3.

*strikes a pose

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Two reasons. One is,just as you suspect, a chance to raise hell and get folks all upset and screaming.

The other is that there's more to getting ID than the fee. Travel costs. Administrative interference. Telling somebody who took a day off work (unpaid) that her birth certificate isn't legible, or fails to meet some other requirement designed to deny ID to "those people."

The U.S., and particularly the South, has long experience with the use of administrative pettifogging to deny members of certain groups the vote. Might wanna at least consider that maybe they have a point not so easily seen from Canada.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Two reasons. One is,just as you suspect, a chance to raise hell and get folks all upset and screaming.

The other is that there's more to getting ID than the fee. Travel costs. Administrative interference. Telling somebody who took a day off work (unpaid) that her birth certificate isn't legible, or fails to meet some other requirement designed to deny ID to "those people."

The U.S., and particularly the South, has long experience with the use of administrative pettifogging to deny members of certain groups the vote. Might wanna at least consider that maybe they have a point not so easily seen from Canada.
Da man is always out ta get ya!

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

I'm not saying, have never said, they don't have a real problem......just that they're making the wrong argument. Fighting to keep people who don't have IDs without them, seems to me like it's keeping them down in more ways than it could potentially be 'helping' them.