The right v. the obligation to bear arms.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
The right v. the obligation to bear arms.

Reading how an NRA member's statement that gun crimes usually occur in 'gun-free' zones, I got the impression that he's implying that if I choose to not be armed, then I have none to blame but myself if I'm ever attacked.

In Canada, where many places are "gun-free" zones, I've never felt the need to own a firearm.

I'm not sure I'd feel the same in the USA where few places are "gun-free zones."

If I did live in the USA, would I still feel free to not own a firearm? I honestly don't know the answer because I've never lived there. I'd visited only Washington State and New York State in my life, and felt comfortable being unarmed there, but what about in the southern states? Are there people in the USA who own weapons out of necessity but who would rather not? How do we balance the right to bear arms with the right to not bear arms without then being blamed if attacked? How does society balance these two rights?

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If you're murdered or injured by an armed criminal and you weren't armed, it's not your fault. The NRA member who said otherwise is just an idiot and an *******. This is what the NRA does. They have a psychotic single-minded view of the world. The cause of any problem is not enough guns and the solution is more guns.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
As opposed to the opposite single minded view of the world where an absence of of guns will make it all safe and cuddly.

Some day we'll meet in the middle.

It won't be any time soon.

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
As opposed to the opposite single minded view of the world where an absence of of guns will make it all safe and cuddly.

Yes Bear, as opposed to the opposite view.

Earlier Machjo asked me if reasonable was reasonable. Now you're telling me the opposite is opposed. The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Yes Bear, as opposed to the opposite view.

Earlier Machjo asked me if reasonable was reasonable. Now you're telling me the opposite is opposed. The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.
I see you missed the point.

I'm guessing it wasn't on purpose.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In Canada, where many places are "gun-free" zones, I've never felt the need to own a firearm.
I'll take you places in Canada where you'll beg to own one. I'm glad you feel all cozy and safe living where cop response time is 4-6 minutes. The people who fight for gun Rights are those who don't have the 4-6 minute luxury. For us/them a cop can be as much as 45 minutes away.

Glacier

Electoral Member
Apr 24, 2015
Okanagan

Clearly the optimal number of guns per household is 35 to 40...