America's a democracy?

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011

Popularity from citizens on a policy has no influence on whether congress will pass a bill or not. What does have influence? Money.

Last edited:

gore0bsessed

Time Out
Oct 23, 2011
So money influences politics. Hell of a scoop there who knew.
yes, money given by corporations to lobby politicians so they can pass favorable bills to themselves not in the interest of actual voters. popularity of polices among the actual voters has no impact on whether government passes a bill or not. americans consistently vote for a government that doesn't care for them basically. how's that a democracy?

was the question i posed, not whether this was groundbreaking news or not. but it is to many people i'm sure.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
hey gore0bsessed I have question if you are an american ------->> can Puerto Rican vote at there ?
I have an answer, Mahan.

Puerto Rico is represented in Congress by a person called a "delegate" in the House of Representatives. It is not represented in the Senate and cannot vote for President. The delegate may speak and participate in procedural votes, but may not vote on bills.

Puerto Rico's local government consists of a governor and a two-chamber legislature. All of these offices are elective. There is no governor-general or other official appointed from outside.

Mahan

Electoral Member
Feb 27, 2015
Islamic Republic of Iran
I have an answer, Mahan.

Puerto Rico is represented in Congress by a person called a "delegate" in the House of Representatives. It is not represented in the Senate and cannot vote for President. The delegate may speak and participate in procedural votes, but may not vote on bills.

Puerto Rico's local government consists of a governor and a two-chamber legislature. All of these offices are elective. There is no governor-general or other official appointed from outside.

Thank you very much Tecumsehsbones

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
apparently... the "best" democracy that corporations money can buy!

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Have a proposal for improving this, or just pissing and moaning as usual?

pissing and moaning? Why... aren't you (also) overly sensitive! :mrgreen:

oh wait. Is this you suggesting... acknowledging... a/the need for improving "America's democracy"?

what's that U.S. motto again? "In Citizen's United We Trust"? Is that it, hey?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
pissing and moaning? Why... aren't you (also) overly sensitive! :mrgreen:

oh wait. Is this you suggesting... acknowledging... a/the need for improving "America's democracy"?

what's that U.S. motto again? "In Citizen's United We Trust"? Is that it, hey?

Still waiting for a proposal for improvement. Still not getting one. What a surprise.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
America's a democracy? When did that happen?

1776? No
1783? No
1865? No
1930s?No
1945? No
1962? No
1963? No
2000? No
2008? No
2015?

Perhaps, as in Canada, a work in progress?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Seems kinda obvious. Follow Norway's example. Or do you mean how do convince American politicians to follow Norway's example, if it's clearly not in corporate interests?
All of the above. It's called a discussion. You come up with your big idea, then examine the details of how to bring it about.

You know that, of course. I'm mostly writing this for the benefit of waldo and the onlookers.

waldo

House Member
Oct 19, 2009
Seems kinda obvious. Follow Norway's example. Or do you mean how do convince American politicians to follow Norway's example, if it's clearly not in corporate interests?

what was even more obvious was the/my reference to the SCOTUS Citizen's United decision... apparently, the Chief doesn't draw inference well... at all!

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
I like the US's democracy. Sometimes the citizens choose well, Reagan comes to mind, and sometimes the choose poorly, BHO and FDR come to mind. Still, the US is a better country than 99% of the others.