Unbelievable rise of single motherhood in America over the last 50 years

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
David AkinVerified account ‏@davidakin

41% of all U.S. births to unmarried moms; 72% of all black U.S. births to unmarried moms

Few institutions in America have evolved over the last 50 years quite like motherhood. More women are having their children later in life. Or they're doing so in less traditional ways: before marriage, without marriage, or with unmarried partners. Single motherhood has grown so common in America that demographers now believe half of all children will live with a single mom at some point before the age of 18.

The implications of this seismic shift in family structure are broad and deeply debated. Research suggests that children with two parents fare better in many ways — in school, in their own relationships — than children with only one at home. And those implications are unevenly distributed in society: A black child today is much more likely to be born to a single mom than a white child, or the child of a mom with a college degree.

You've likely heard these trends before, but the sweep of how dramatically they've occurred over the last half-century is breathtaking. Consider this chart, from Princeton's Sara McLanahan and Harvard's Christopher Jencks. It shows that more than 70 percent of all black children today are born to an unmarried mom, a three-fold increase in that rate since the 1960s:

more

The unbelievable rise of single motherhood in America over the last 50 years - The Washington Post

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Finally the destruction of families is almost complete. Bring on the debauchery!

There is more than one kind of family.

I was raised by a single mother. It was rough, but it was better than the alternative considering my father was an emotionally abusive alcoholic.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
The breakdown in black families is now almost alarming too. Many attribute the young black male crime rate to discrimination. I blame it on the family unit failure which has resulted in anger building in the neglected children.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
And the left loves it because of all the "poor" people being generated by the "single" moms. Almost a 100% chance that single moms will use the gubmint as their sugar daddy.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
And the left loves it because of all the "poor" people being generated by the "single" moms. Almost a 100% chance that single moms will use the gubmint as their sugar daddy.

You live in a very dark bitter world, Walter.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
You live in a very dark bitter world, Walter.
I live in the real world. Most single moms do not contribute economically to our society and most boys in jail are the product of single moms.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Graphs. Pfft!

A child needs a mother and a father. Or two fathers. Or two mothers. Or, I suppose, two mothers and a father. Or some collection of sexually involved adults. Or a goat. Whatevs. 'S'all good man.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You know it... lucky for us single guys.. ;)

What ever happen to the nice traditional family..?? eh?
it was a myth...that's what happened to it

The father goes to work, the wife keeps care of the house, cooking and kids..
the men went off to war and the women went off to work
OH Yeah, middle class wages fell when women hit the work force.
no dude, industry died and the factory lines buckled

Then you needed two to make ago of it. Liberalism
you always needed two unless you worked in an unionized factory or were white collar