The 5th Amendment: Why A Law Professor Says "Don't Talk To Police"

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
In my recent interview, “Serfdom is the New Normal” – Talkin’ Oligarch Blues with Perpetual Assets, I mentioned the dangers of talking to the police in light of the recent epidemic of shady civil asset forfeitures. What many people fail to realize, is that you aren’t obligated to have casual conversations with police when you have been pulled over. In fact, such conversations are often used solely to manufacture an excuse for further action against you. For example, take this excerpt from the recent Washington Post article, Highway Seizure in Iowa Fuels Debate about Asset-Forfeiture Laws:
Simmons said he was issuing a warning for the failure to signal.

After handing over the paperwork, he said the stop was over. Then he asked the driver, Newmerzhycky, if he had “time for just a couple quick questions.”

Police who specialize in highway interdiction use casual conversations to avoid triggering legal questions about the length of stops. If the conversations are consensual, courts consider the added delay to be legal.
During a routine highway stop for a minor traffic violation, I can’t think of a good reason why it would ever be in your interest to continue chatting with a cop.
Highway police are trained to use the chats as an opportunity to take stock of alleged “indicators” of criminal activity, including nervous speech patterns, a pulsing carotid artery and inconsistencies in stories. They are also trained to seek permission for warrantless searches.
It’s really sad that it has come to this. It would be much better to live in a society where people could have enough trust in police to chat casually with them. The more police engage in bad behavior, the less the public will want to engage.

The trickier part about all of this, is that it isn’t clear what a reasonable length for a stop is. Here’s the Washington Post on the issue, from the article, Waiting for the Dogs During Police Traffic Stops:
Imagine a police officer pulls over a car for a routine traffic violation, such as speeding or driving with a broken taillight.

During the stop, the officer develops a hunch that there may be drugs in the car. He contacts a local K-9 unit and requests a trained drug-sniffing dog; when the unit arrives, another officer will walk the dog around the car to see if it alerts to drugs inside. Although the Supreme Court has held that the use of the dog is not a search, the length of a warrantless stop must be reasonable. The officer can’t delay the driver forever.

This raises a question of Fourth Amendment law that has led to a lot of lower court litigation: If the officer has no reasonable suspicion that drugs are in the car — that is, he only has a hunch — how long can the traffic stop be delayed before the dog arrives and checks out the car?

Lower courts have generally answered the question by adopting a de minimis doctrine. Officers can extend the stop and wait for the dogs for ade minimis amount of time. But exactly how long is that?

Just yesterday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit held in United States v. Rodriguez that seven to eight minutes is de minimis. On the other hand, the Supreme Court of Nevada held a few months ago in State v. Beckman that nine minutes is too long.
With all that in mind, I strongly suggest watching the following video with almost 5 million views of Law Professor James Duane, simply titled: Don’t Talk to Police.

Dont Talk to Police - YouTube

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney and obviously none of this should be taken as legal advice. It is meant to provide you with some information and you should do your own research (laws vary by state).

In Liberty,

Michael Krieger

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Now to get the RCMP to stop posing as tourists walking the dog in Tim's parking lots doing illegal searches.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
The officer can’t delay the driver forever.

That is only true in theory. But this does not keep them from forcing people to wait HOURS until they are good and ready to dismiss them from the stoppage. It has happened enough times but, as happens so often, the news media to do not generally report it. The thing to do is for legislatures to outlaw such stoppages so that people will not be hassled needlessly.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
The officer can’t delay the driver forever.

That is only true in theory. But this does not keep them from forcing people to wait HOURS until they are good and ready to dismiss them from the stoppage. It has happened enough times but, as happens so often, the news media to do not generally report it. The thing to do is for legislatures to outlaw such stoppages so that people will not be hassled needlessly.

If any police officer in the USA were to attempt to keep a motorist from leaving for hours, they would be in BIG trouble. They would be subject to possible Criminal Charges, as well as Civil Liability. AND, if any evidence of a crime was found after preventing a person from leaving, after several hours, it would NOT be admisable in any criminal court.

This is EXACTLY why these rights were codified into the written Constitution of the United States of America. To prevent the government from abusing the rights of citizens, as the British ad done to the American colonists.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
It happened to a friend of mine a few years ago. She was delayed by a policewoman on a highway who liked to push her weight around and did not get so much as one cent from the county in which it happened.

Zipperfish

House Member
Apr 12, 2013
Vancouver
Well a police instructor I knew said that people foregoing their right to remain silence was the single biggest boon to any investigator. If you are arrested, it means that the person arresting you believes you committed the crime for which you are being arrested. Your best bet is stay quiet and call a lawyer as soon as you can. Comply quietly, quickly and completely with all directions of the officer. If you are not being arrested (traffic stop) be polite and brief.

When a cop asks you if you know how fast you were going, or if you know why you have been pulled over? Well if you tell him you were going about 100, and it's an 80-zone, you've just incriminated yourself. Otherwise, the onus is on him to provide the incriminating evidence.

As I learned as a youngster (and I still have the scars to prove it!) there is absolutely no upside in provoking a cop. You _are_ going to lose that battle.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Well a police instructor I knew said that people foregoing their right to remain silence was the single biggest boon to any investigator. If you are arrested, it means that the person arresting you believes you committed the crime for which you are being arrested. Your best bet is stay quiet and call a lawyer as soon as you can. Comply quietly, quickly and completely with all directions of the officer. If you are not being arrested (traffic stop) be polite and brief.

When a cop asks you if you know how fast you were going, or if you know why you have been pulled over? Well if you tell him you were going about 100, and it's an 80-zone, you've just incriminated yourself. Otherwise, the onus is on him to provide the incriminating evidence.

As I learned as a youngster (and I still have the scars to prove it!) there is absolutely no upside in provoking a cop. You _are_ going to lose that battle.

yup

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/fun-jokes/130166-how-not-get-your-ss.html

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Actually, you can say you were going the speed of light. If he hasn't read you your Miranda rights, your answer to the question isn't admissible.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
This is a Canadian forum, talking about Canadian laws..

You a US Lawyer or are you now a Canadian Lawyer?? Make up my mind.

Canadian forum yes, but check the sub-forum. Also the OP was clearly mentioning Iowa, and a Washington Post article.

For Tbone, do officers have to read Miranda rights for traffic stops? I thought Miranda rights are issued when they take you into custody and before interrogation?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
This is a Canadian forum, talking about Canadian laws..

You a US Lawyer or are you now a Canadian Lawyer?? Make up my mind.
Presumably that's why the OP in the thread is talking about U.S. Law, the Supreme Court, and rights under the U.S. Constitution? And it's posted in a forum called "US-American Politics."

You just found a whole new gear of stupid, Boom.

Canadian forum yes, but check the sub-forum. Also the OP was clearly mentioning Iowa, and a Washington Post article.

For Tbone, do officers have to read Miranda rights for traffic stops? I thought Miranda rights are issued when they take you into custody and before interrogation?
The key is the phrase "custodial interrogation." "Custodial" means you reasonably believe you are not free to leave, and "interrogation" means any communication designed to elicit a response. That's pretty much the result of 49 years of litigation on Miranda.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
On the odd occasion when I've been pulled over by a cop, they invariably ask; "where you coming from"?

I've yet to have the balls to ask why they need to know.

I mean, how many old, bald, fat guys who look like me, can they be looking for ?

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
On the odd occasion when I've been pulled over by a cop, they invariably ask; "where you coming from"?

I mean, how many old, bald, fat guys who look like me, can they be looking for ?
I think they ask you those questions, so you'll open your mouth to answer and they can smell your breath if you've been drinking....
At one of them spot checks when I was asked where I was coming from, I pointed behind my truck and said..."back there"
Then when he asked me where I was going... I pointed in front and said"That away"
He just laughed, satisfied that I hadn't been drinking, and said ...."You better get going if you want to get there".....

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

I used to believe that but some recent events here have changed my mind. Mind you I live in a rural area and deal with the same cops on a regular basis on many different issues.

I told a cop a few years ago that this isn't nazi Germany and it's none of his business where I've been or where I'm going. He told me I had a burnt out bulb by my license plate and got back in his car. As I've said, I live in a rural area so you get to know these guys and they get to know I'm not intimidated by their ****. In most cases, once I get to know them, we get along royally. I'm not sure if there's much benefit to doing it to a cop that you're never going to see again. It might make you feel good is about all.