In 2 years, armed IRS agents fired their guns accidentally more often than on purpose

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
The IRS has shown that it has a hard time finding emails and a hard time explaining its recycling of hard drives. Then there are the guns. The elite unit of the IRS that gets to carry guns doesn’t exactly have a perfect safety record.

According to a government audit, IRS Agents ‘Accidentally’ Discharged Guns 11 Times between 2009 and 2011. Some of those weapons discharges resulted in property damage or personal injury, claimed the report. In fact, agents accidentally fired their guns more times than they did intentionally, said the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration. The IRS’s Criminal Investigation Division is armed, but armed or not, the IRS wields enormous power.

In United States v. Adams, Charles Adams’ conviction for conspiracy and tax evasion were upheld despite his claims that the IRS agents carried guns not allowed by law. Mr. Adams said guns were legal only when the government is enforcing alcohol, tobacco and firearms laws. But this was just a tax search, he argued.

more

IRS Totes Guns, But Doesn't Use Helicopters--Yet - Forbes

actual IRS weapons-firing graph

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
No...citizens have guns for freedom.........necessary because the minions of the state have guns to restrict your freedom.

Umm....that's a tad paranoid.

I have never felt the need to own a gun because the state was gonna take my freedoms away.

For self defense against some turd coming into my home to get may flat screen, that's a different story.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Umm....that's a tad paranoid.

I have never felt the need to own a gun because the state was gonna take my freedoms away.

For self defense against some turd coming into my home to get may flat screen, that's a different story.

Militaries you like excluded.

Not at all.

Never trust any government.

As George Washington said "Government is not reason. It is not eloquent, it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master"

As a protection against fire, one keeps a fire extinguisher.

As a deterrent to tyranny, one keeps weapons.

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
Not at all.

Never trust any government.

As George Washington said "Government is not reason. It is not eloquent, it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master"

As a protection against fire, one keeps a fire extinguisher.

As a deterrent to tyranny, one keeps weapons.

Yep....paranoid.

I'm sorry, but I am just not continuously afraid.

Half the time I forget to lock my door or close my garage.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yep....paranoid.

I'm sorry, but I am just not continuously afraid.

Half the time I forget to lock my door or close my garage.

Let's see....

A short, incomplete list of "paranoids":

The men that penned the English Bill of Rights of 1689

The men that penned the US Bill of Rights.

John Locke

William Blackstone

Thomas Jefferson

Robert Heinlein

George Washington

Benjamin Franklin

Joseph Story

Mahatma Gandhi

John F Kennedy

Patrick Henry

et al

Grievous

Time Out
Jul 28, 2014
Whitby
Develop a sense of history.........it is not a millimetre wide, it is miles wide.

What was essential to liberty yesterday is essential to liberty today

Really?

I just don't have the sense that my ability to carry around a firearm makes me more free from Steven Harper.

I'm not really opposed to some dude getting gun if that is what makes him happy but essential to freedom? Don't buy it.

Just not that afraid of every noise I hear.