US economy rebounds strongly in Q2, expands at 4%

mentalfloss
+1

US economic growth accelerated more than expected in the second quarter and the decline in output in the prior period was less steep than previously reported, which could bolster views for a stronger performance in the last six months of the year.

Gross domestic product expanded at a 4.0 percent annual rate as activity picked up broadly after shrinking at a revised 2.1 percent pace in the first quarter, the Commerce Department said on Wednesday.

Also Read: US growth mixed; taper to continue: Das Captial

That pushed GDP above the economy's potential growth trend, which analysts put somewhere between a 2 percent and 2.5 percent pace. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast the economy growing at a 3.0 percent rate in the second quarter after a previously reported 2.9 percent contraction.

The economy grew 0.9 percent in the first half of this year and growth for 2014 as a whole could average above 2 percent. The first quarter contraction, which was mostly weather-related, was the largest in five years.

Employment growth, which has exceeded 200,000 jobs in each of the last five months, and strong readings on the factory and services sectors from the Institute for Supply Management underpin the bullish expectations for the rest of the year.

The government also published revisions to prior GDP data going back to 1999, which showed the economy performing much stronger in the second half of 2013 and for that year as a whole than previously reported.

US economy rebounds strongly in Q2, expands at 4% - Reuters (external - login to view)

Grievous
No Party Affiliation
Not sure why Obama gets the credit for this.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2
Blame Obama!

Grievous
No Party Affiliation
I don't think he anything to do with it.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+3
#5  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by GrievousView Post

I don't think he anything to do with it.

Oh, OK.

Whenever the numbers have gone down the forum right wingers immediately blame him. Using their logic, whenever the numbers go up he should get an equal amount of praise. Strangely, we don't get that here from those pundits.

Grievous
No Party Affiliation
I don't think he has any influence plus or minus.

The man really doesn't have a policy beyond the affordable health care act.....which hasn't destroyed the economy like some predicted.

Just gave some poor and sick people peace of mind.

I'd say the governor's and the house have had a greater impact on the economy than Obama.

mentalfloss
+1
Canadians grow pessimistic about economy, while U.S. consumer confidence hits post-crash high

darkbeaver
Republican
Anyone who believes those numbers should PM me for a wonderful opportunity that I'll share with the first ten respondents. Please limit your advances to one per household.

darkbeaver
Republican

What Will Happen First, An Economic Collapse or Martial Law? | InvestmentWatch (external - login to view)

I guess the rabid capitalists have no faith in this rebound or they would inquire after my fantastic offer, fourty two pounds of GO FU CK YERSELF for 1.99 while inventory lasts.

Locutus
a whole 'quarter'. cool story bro.

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

a whole 'quarter'. cool story bro.

Get your millions out of the bank Locutus.http://forums.canadiancontent.net/im...cons/icon7.gif

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Get your millions out of the bank Locutus.http://forums.canadiancontent.net/im...cons/icon7.gif

I'm a cash man.

darkbeaver
Republican
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

I'm a cash man.

You might take note of the dollars precipitous decline.

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

You might take note of the dollars precipitous decline.

it's a topsy turvy world eh...I'll hold onto my paper for the time being.

Sons of Liberty
So much for the IMF prediction.

BaalsTears
The US economy grew at the rate of 1.9% during the first two calendar quarters of 2014. That's hardly something to be proud of.

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

S economy rebounds strongly in Q2, expands at 4% - Reuters (external - login to view)

Bet it's only a matter of time before Obama gets blamed for that!-

Kreskin
+2
If it grows any more the Republicans will be really mad.

Walter
+1 / -2
Quote: Originally Posted by KreskinView Post

If it grows any more the Republicans will be really mad.

Why? They're saying it's about time and would have happened sooner without the current POTUS.

no new posts