'Walking Dead' actress sentenced 18 years for ricin-laced letter to Obama

spaminator
Lisa Bose McDermott, REUTERS
First posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 01:49 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 03:51 PM EDT
TEXARKANA, Texas - A Texas actress was sentenced to 18 years in a federal prison on Wednesday on a biological weapons charge for mailing letters containing the toxic agent ricin to President Barack Obama, former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and a gun control advocate.
Shannon Guess Richardson, 36, whose career included minor television roles in shows such as "The Walking Dead," also will be subject to five years of supervised release and restitution of $367,000.
Richardson, shackled and dressed in the brown uniform of an inmate, apologized in a federal court in Texarkana, Texas, to Obama, Bloomberg and Mark Glaze, the director of Mayors Against Illegal Guns, a group founded by Bloomberg that lobbies for stricter gun laws.
"I never intended to hurt anyone," she said.
A lawyer for Richardson and U.S. prosecutors reached a plea deal in December for the 18-year sentence. Richardson, who could have faced life in prison, said she took the deal because she did not want to be "listed as a terrorist."
"I wouldn't go down that road," she said in court.
Richardson tried to blame her husband for the letters that were sent in May of last year, according to prosecutors.
The letters read, in part: "You will have to kill me and my family before you get my guns. Anyone wants to come to my house will get shot in the face," according to court documents.
In a court document signed by Richardson, she outlined how she extracted the toxin with materials she bought with her husband's credit card.
Richardson was arrested in June 2013 and a federal grand jury accused her in a three-count indictment of mailing the letters to Obama, Bloomberg and Glaze.
Ricin, a highly toxic substance, is found naturally in castor beans, but it takes a deliberate act to manufacture it and use it to poison people, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Exposure to even a small amount of ricin can cause death and no known antidote exists.
One mail clerk suffered minor injuries from the letters Richardson sent.
"Today's sentencing brings an appropriate and just end to what is surely one of our most unusual, even bizarre cases," U.S. Attorney John Malcolm Bales said.
Shannon Richardson is pictured in this booking photo from the Titus County Sheriff's Office, made available on June 8, 2013. Richardson, a Texas actress accused of mailing ricin-laced letters to President Barack Obama and New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, has reached a plea deal with federal prosecutors and is expected to plead guilty in a court appearance today, according to federal court documents. REUTERS/Titus County Sheriff's Office/Handout

'Walking Dead' actress sentenced 18 years for ricin-laced letter to Obama | Worl (external - login to view)

JLM
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by spaminatorView Post

Lisa Bose McDermott, REUTERS
First posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 01:49 PM EDT | Updated: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 03:51 PM EDT
TEXARKANA, Texas - A Texas actress was sentenced to 18 years in a federal prison on Wednesday on a biological weapons charge for mailing letters containing the toxic agent ricin to President Barack Obama, former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and a gun control advocate.
Shannon Guess Richardson, 36, whose career included minor television roles in shows such as "The Walking Dead," also will be subject to five years of supervised release and restitution of $367,000.

That bitch could be dangerous if she put her mind to it!

El Barto
+2
#3  Top Rated Post
The letters read, in part: "You will have to kill me and my family before you get my guns. Anyone wants to come to my house will get shot in the face,"

Yeah ummm here is an armed and dangerous idiot... yup sure helped your cause there

Sal
No Party Affiliation
Quote:

Richardson tried to blame her husband for the letters that were sent in May of last year, according to prosecutors.
The letters read, in part: "You will have to kill me and my family before you get my guns. Anyone wants to come to my house will get shot in the face," according to court documents.
In a court document signed by Richardson, she outlined how she extracted the toxin with materials she bought with her husband's credit card.

not someone who should be loose in public....

petros
Quote:

Richardson, who could have faced life in prison, said she took the deal because she did not want to be "listed as a terrorist."

How is what she did terrorism?

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

How is what she did terrorism?

ter∑ror∑ism

noun
the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Locutus
+1 / -1
I'm just relieved that nothing happened to barry.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

I'm just relieved that nothing happened to barry.

THAT could have completely messed up your dinner invitation

BaalsTears
Emotions run high among those who perceive themselves to be on the receiving end of transformation.

Twila
Walking Dead? She looks like the evil socrceress from Game of Thrones...

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2
Aha! Hadn't seen this thread and posted a link on another thread.

Thankfully, she will have another 18 years to think over her wickedness and quick picking on Obama!

JLM
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by gopherView Post

Aha! Hadn't seen this thread and posted a link on another thread.

Thankfully, she will have another 18 years to think over her wickedness and quick picking on Obama!

She'll be out in 3-6 years.

gopher
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

The courts are all Republican so that would not be too much of a surprise.

mentalfloss
Good.

Her and Brevik can play videogames together.

Tecumsehsbones
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by JLMView Post

There is no parole in the Federal system and prisoners are required to serve at least 85% of their sentences.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
ew hope she wasn't planning on having children then, cause that dream's over, thank god

Tecumsehsbones
She already has six. Should be enough for any criminal.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

She already has six. Should be enough for any criminal.

oh geez, it already reproduced...that's a shame

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

ter∑ror∑ism

noun
the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

That definition describes basically everything the govt does.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by PoliticalNickView Post

That definition describes basically everything the govt does.

Yeah, but you got your gun, so it'll be OK.