Obama is worst president since WWII: poll

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
beyond the usual good-natured rib-tickling pick-on-barry thread fare:

WASHINGTON — It’s not the kind of history Barack Obama planned on making — but Americans now rate him as the worst president since World War II.

With two years left to go in his second term, Obama “beat out” predecessor George W. Bush, who left office during a steep economic downturn and an unpopular war, for the dubious distinction, a new Quinnipiac University poll found.

Respondents were asked to rate the best and worst presidents from the list of 12.

One-third picked Obama as the worst, while 28 percent picked Bush.

By comparison, only 13 percent cited Richard Nixon, who resigned under the cloud of the Watergate scandal.

Eight percent chose Jimmy Carter, who left office with a stalled economy and having been unable to win the release of American hostages held in Iran.

When it comes to which president Americans consider best, Ronald Reagan cleans up, with 35 percent picking the Gipper.

Eighteen percent picked Bill Clinton and 15 percent chose John F. Kennedy, whose tenure often gets mediocre ratings from professional historians but who tends to do better among a public still enchanted by the days of Camelot before JFK’s assassination in 1963.

Eight percent chose Obama as the best president, while a mere 1 percent gave that nod to Dubya.

Most of Obama’s “worst” votes come from Republicans — 63 percent of whom picked him as dead last, far more than any other contender, with Carter trailing, at 14 percent.

But Obama also was slapped with the “worst” label by more than one-third of independents — a factor that continues to tug at his overall approval ratings.

Going head-to-head with his predecessor, 39 percent said Obama was better than Bush, while 40 percent said he was worse.

“Over the span of 69 years of American history and 12 presidencies, President Barack Obama finds himself with President George W. Bush at the bottom of the popularity barrel,” said Tim Malloy, who conducted the Quinnipiac poll.

Obama’s emergence as the worst president has come at the benefit of his predecessors. Clinton, Carter and Nixon all saw the biggest improvements in this category from 2006 to this year.

Americans also are feeling buyer’s remorse with Obama: 45 percent said the country would be better off if Republican Mitt Romney had won the presidency in 2012, while 38 percent said the country would be worse off.

Romney said at an event in New Hampshire Wednesday that he wouldn’t pursue a third presidential run.

Obama’s overall approval rating is an underwater 40-53 — a troubling sign for Democrats heading into the midterm elections.

But he can take solace in the fact that presidents usually see their numbers rise after they leave office.

And the survey itself appears prone to let people vent their opposition to a current White House occupant, while various other contenders can split the remaining disgruntled vote.

Eight years ago, while his own public-approval rating was in the tank, Bush was the hands-down leader in the “worst” category, followed by Nixon and Clinton.

Obama paying the price for insisting he’s right | New York Post

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
hm interesting results, can some one help me out here...who did the poll (was it unbiased) and what questions were asked and where was the poll done?

if the poll was not unbiased it means nothing, well actually that's not true either: it means someone needs to believe in this desparately and we won't even go into the psychological reasons for why

because to me the results seem really skewed, not that it matters all that much...I will never dislike anyone as much as I dislike Bush

usually polls say...the poll was conducted: where, questions asked were...etc

just saying

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
hm interesting results, can some one help me out here...who did the poll (was it unbiased) and what questions were asked and where was the poll done?

if the poll was not unbiased it means nothing, well actually that's not true either: it means someone needs to believe in this desparately and we won't even go into the psychological reasons for why

because to me the results seem really skewed, not that it matters all that much...I will never dislike anyone as much as I dislike Bush

just saying

here go:

National (US) Poll - July 2, 2014 - Obama Is First As Worst Presid | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/images/polling/us/us07022014_U73jabn.pdf

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California

just saying

Are you familiar with the Quinnipiac poll? It is recognized by both left and right as being unbiased.

I wasn't aware WWII was ever a President

Obama is the worst president since Herbert Hoover.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
From June 24 – 30, Quinnipiac University surveyed 1,446 registered voters nationwide with a margin of error of +/- 2.6 percentage points. Live interviewers call land lines and cell phones.

The Quinnipiac University Poll, directed by Douglas Schwartz, Ph.D., conducts public opinion surveys in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Iowa, Colorado and the nation as a public service and for research.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
* greatest corporate profits since 1900

* highest Wall Street activity in over 14 years

* record job creation with recapture of all jobs lost under Bush (more jobs in total than under Bush's 8 years)

* ended USA involvement in 2 needless wars

* no terrorism within our shores

* fewer American civilians attacked overseas than under his predecessor

* Obama has raised FAR more tax revenue

* health care reform has saved countless lives

If you watched last night's tv news you would know the media, which has criticized Obama so much in the past six years, were full of praise for his success in improving the economy. Of course, all one needs to do is to do an online search and they can readily find numerous links which prove Obama is the GREATEST president economics wise ever:

https://www.google.com/search?q=eco...fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
* greatest corporate profits since 1900

* highest Wall Street activity in over 14 years

* record job creation with recapture of all jobs lost under Bush (more jobs in total than under Bush's 8 years)

* ended USA involvement in 2 needless wars

* no terrorism within our shores

* fewer American civilians attacked overseas than under his predecessor

* Obama has raised FAR more tax revenue

* health care reform has saved countless lives

If you watched last night's tv news you would know the media, which has criticized Obama so much in the past six years, were full of praise for his success in improving the economy. Of course, all one needs to do is to do an online search and they can readily find numerous links which prove Obama is the GREATEST president economics wise ever:

https://www.google.com/search?q=eco...fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=np&source=hp

so why do you think this poll concluded thus?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Sal,

so why do you think this poll concluded thus?

When Quinnipiac or Rasmussen polls give results that right wingers don't like, they dismiss the results as being "biased" or left wing. When they give results those pundits like, then they decide the poll numbers are accurate.

When you check out the articles shown in the link I have provided you would have no choice but to agree that the Obama economic and political policies are the best we have seen since Clinton. The news media has not done its job in reporting these truths as facts on your nightly news although they did so last night because of the hugely positive jobs numbers. Now if the media was to report these truths every night instead of constantly criticizing Obama the vast majority of Americans would give him a FAR higher approval rating.

Now it's up to the Democrats to make political capital out of all this as it is a good basis for them to win the November elections. If they fail to capitalize it can result in losses rather than the wins they and the USA deserve.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Will Obama finally get some credit for the improving economy?

Will Obama finally get some credit for the improving economy? - The Washington Post

Today’s jobs report was a very good one: 288,000 new jobs were created in June, and the unemployment rate fell to 6.1 percent, the lowest it has been since September 2008, just before the crash. Furthermore, we’ve now had five consecutive months with more than 200,000 jobs added, which hasn’t happened since 1999-2000. So will Barack Obama get the credit?
Probably not. First of all, we shouldn’t get too excited; there are still a lot of people looking for work, there are a lot who have gotten discouraged and dropped out of the labor force, and there are a lot working part time when they’d rather have full-time jobs. But even if everyone is in agreement that things are looking up, the president can expect to get partial credit, at best.
Obama’s economic ratings have never been very high, at least since the initial honeymoon of his election wore off. In fact, they’ve hovered around 40 percent for most of his presidency, as this chart aggregating results from a variety of surveys (courtesy of Huffpost Pollster) shows:
The most important reason for this is, of course, the simple reality that the economy hasn’t been that great in the past six years; even when there have been a couple of good months in a row, the hole the country has been trying to climb out of was so deep that no one could honestly say things were going splendidly. But there’s a partisan element too, in that ratings of the president have become much more clearly predictable by party in the last decade or so. If you look at the polarization of Gallup approval ratings — the difference between how Democrats rate the president and how Republicans rate him — you see that 10 of the 12 most polarized years ever came in the presidencies of Barack Obama and George W. Bush.
That means that no matter how good the economy gets, only a tiny number of Republicans will ever say that Obama is doing a good job on the economy.

... more ...

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
it may well be that the polls will not change as right wing talk radio fills the airwaves with myths - but then, as I wrote above, it is up to the Democrats to make political capital out of the good news we saw immediately after the poll was taken; if they fail to do so it's their fault for the numbers not changing

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
it may well be that the polls will not change as right wing talk radio fills the airwaves with myths - but then, as I wrote above, it is up to the Democrats to make political capital out of the good news we saw immediately after the poll was taken; if they fail to do so it's their fault for the numbers not changing

and as the poll says, your boy is considered the worst, by a far cry...just suck it up until the next bit of good bama news comes along. :lol: