Kansas Tax Cut Hasn't Created “tens of thousands of jobs.”

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Kansas has a problem. In April and May, the state planned to collect $651 million from personal income tax. But instead, it received only $369 million.

In 2012, Kansas lawmakers passed a large and rather unusual income tax cut. It was expected to reduce state tax revenue by more than 10 percent, and Gov. Sam Brownback said it would create “tens of thousands of jobs.”

In part, the tax cut worked in the typical way, by cutting tax rates and increasing the standard deduction. But Kansas also eliminated tax on various kinds of income, including income described commonly — and sometimes misleadingly — as “small-business income.”

Basically, if your income results in the generation of a Form 1099-MISC instead of a W-2, it’s probably not taxable anymore in Kansas.
Consider me. I draw a salary from The New York Times; if I lived in Kansas, I’d pay state income tax on it. I also earn income from other news outlets, including MSNBC, where I am not a payroll employee. That makes me a “small-business owner” in the eyes of the government, and if I lived in Kansas, my income from MSNBC would be tax-free.

While no state has gone as far as Kansas, four others — Missouri, Ohio, Oregon and South Carolina — have passed laws in the last decade that give some small-business owners lower tax rates than wage earners.

By creating this preference for some types of income over others, Kansas has run into at least five problems:

The Times has me on its staff, but it could commission freelance work from me instead. Income from the same work would then become tax-free under the Kansas rules.

A lot of the beneficiaries of the tax break won’t be small businesses.

Many are sole proprietors like me, who are fundamentally engaged in labor, not entrepreneurship, and aren’t likely to hire anybody just because they receive a tax break.

more

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/29/u...wnback-with-less-money.html?ref=business&_r=0

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It's terrible to let citizens keep more of their own money.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Tax cuts create jobs in ways government has difficulty tracking. More money in workers pockets means nore disposable income to buy goods and services. It would take a special kind of tax relief to suddenly create 10000 new jobs in a state with little industry. Mostly they would have to import industryfrom another high tax area.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Whereas it's a given that tax increases are great for creating soooo many new jobs.... And the workers love new and bigger tax increases on their income.

I'm glad we agree that tax policy does not have a direct effect on job creation.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I think tax cuts if done correctly can create jobs. General income tax cuts create more disposable income which causes people to spend more which causes more money flowing which creates more jobs (and higher tax revenues as you have more taxpayers). Specific cuts to business who will hire employees can also cause this but in my mind to a lesser effect particularly if the cuts are not tied to job creation directly.

I think in this case they probably cut the wrong tax in the wrong way.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Tax cuts are no guarantee of creating jobs nor does increasing them hamper job growth. We had lower taxes in Gopherland under Republican Pawlenty and had higher unemployment. Now under Democrat Dayton taxes are slightly higher but unemployment is lower.

The better way to raise state tax revenue is as I have suggested before = create a tax amnesty program like we had in NYS back in the early 1980s. That generated much more revenue than was anticipated and it can work again.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Tax cuts create jobs in ways government has difficulty tracking. More money in workers pockets means nore disposable income to buy goods and services. It would take a special kind of tax relief to suddenly create 10000 new jobs in a state with little industry. Mostly they would have to import industryfrom another high tax area.

Yes yes but that gives money back in the hands of the unwashed and they will spend or save how THEY see fit. The all knowing government knows better how to spend their earnings. This is a crime.

Oh...and it hurts women and children.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yes yes but that gives money back in the hands of the unwashed and they will spend or save how THEY see fit. The all knowing government knows better how to spend their earnings. This is a crime.

Oh...and it hurts women and children.
Will somebody please think of the children?!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Wally - how the fckk can you possibly know more about what the fckk is going on in Minnesota than I do?

If you in your twisted thinking do not believe that what I have written is correct, then why the hell don't you present some type of proof that the facts are contrary to what I have written? Unemployment is lower, building is booming, we have a new transit light rail system that is working well, the Republican created deficit has been fully reversed, and the quality of life is at the highest I have seen in over 25 years of living in this state. So what the fckk is your problem with these truths?

Angstrom

Hall of Fame Member
May 8, 2011
8O women and children first !
and the immigrants too.

Cause white males are so dominant strong and intelligent everyone else in the country needs government help to keep them at the same competitiveness level.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I would like to see more tax breaks for sole proprietorships. All other ownership entities have more opportunities to better manage taxes, yet the sole proprietor is the one who often needs it the most. I'm not talking lower rates. More deferral opportunities (a pseudo dividend system) would be a start.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What kind of jobs can the government not track that tax cuts create?

Almost all where there is no program that asks businesses how many new hires are due directly to tax cuts. If joe retires and charlie is hired it is nothing to do with tax cuts. Also many self employed simply do not have the time to fill out useless government forms.
The increases in employment are sutle and take time to come about as first people have to amass some of that revenue to start shopping with.

I would like to see more tax breaks for sole proprietorships. All other ownership entities have more opportunities to better manage taxes, yet the sole proprietor is the one who often needs it the most. I'm not talking lower rates. More deferral opportunities (a pseudo dividend system) would be a start.

Sole proprietorship is a silly idea except for part time business. If you are turning over substantually more than a paycheque incorporating will save you money. Pay yourself a small wage and a large dividend.