Biden: LGBT Rights More Important Than Culture, Tradition

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
LGBT Rights More Important Than Culture, Tradition, Says VP Joe Biden

In a statement that inspired pro-LGBT communities across the globe, Vice President Joe Biden declared Tuesday that gay and lesbian rights should be given more importance than national cultures and social traditions.

According to Politico, Biden was speaking to a group of U.S. and international gay rights activist when he made the bold statement. Biden, a potential 2016 contender, emphasized that the Obama administration is clear with its promotion of pro-gay policies and rights. Biden added that the current administration’s attitude does not only extend to the LGBT movement inside the U.S., but also to the gay and lesbian communities around the world.

In response to a growing number of international policies discriminating against gays and lesbians, most notably in Russia and Uganda, Joe Biden and other top White House officials corresponded with religious, human rights, and HIV health care activists and professionals.

There have been estimates that about 80 percent of all countries in the world enforce anti-gay policies and laws.

Addressing a crowd of around 100 guests at the Naval Observatory’s vice-presidential mansion, Biden said:

“I don’t care what your culture is. Inhumanity is inhumanity is inhumanity. Prejudice is prejudice is prejudice.”

Joe Biden has been one of the most prominent pro-gay politicians in the U.S., especially after he declared his support for gay marriage in 2012. In an interview with NBC’sMeet the Press, Joe Biden expressed that he was “absolutely comfortable” with the idea of gay marriage and that he found the growing acceptance of gay and lesbians across the country heartening.

“Look, I am vice president of the United States of America. The president sets the policy. I am absolutely comfortable with the fact that men marrying men, women marrying women, and heterosexual men and women marrying another are entitled to the same exact rights, all the civil rights, all the civil liberties. And quite frankly, I don’t see much of a distinction– beyond that.”

Recently, the U.S government imposed visa bans against Ugandan officials who have been observed to encourage or enforce anti-gay policies in their home country. Last year, Uganda was the center of human rights controversy after President Museveni allowed the passage of the “Kill The Gays Bill” in the Parliament of Uganda. Last May, two Ugandan gay men, Kim Mikusa and Jackson Makusa, were the first to face charges of homosexuality in the country. Despite heavy warnings from Washington to Kampala, Ugandan president Museveni insisted on a country-wide persecution of gays and lesbians.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Maybe Joe and barney Frank should spend a few nights in Barney's Mens'Brothel? After he has experienced it himself then he might become the voice of experience. Jpe has hoof in mouth disease plus other maladies.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014

In a statement that inspired pro-LGBT communities across the globe, Vice President Joe Biden declared Tuesday that gay and lesbian rights should be given more importance than national cultures and social traditions.

well, that's because he's an idiot.

One really must be able to understand the intelligentsia's agenda in bringing the masses out of their quagmire of ruthless dictatorships which allowed for the LGBT community to be labeled anything but normal.

You are starting to depress me , I now have this vision of you,you have become just some shabbily dressed little bureaucrat with a keybored in some corner with rights you should never have been given.

Obviously your right wing views are what has caused this forum to lapse into decay, and chased all the good posters away.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
An idiot who's absolutely right.

Your support in bringing down western civilization will no doubt be recognized and rewarded by season bathhouse tickets.

One really must be able to understand the intelligentsia's agenda in bringing the masses out of their quagmire of ruthless dictatorships which allowed for the LGBT community to be labeled anything but normal.

You are starting to depress me , I now have this vision of you,you have become just some shabbily dressed little bureaucrat with a keybored in some corner with rights you should never have been given.

Obviously your right wing views are what has caused this forum to lapse into decay, and chased all the good posters away.

You can't strip laurals from me and award them to a forum maintenance person (who nobody ever heard of ) in my stead. I have single handedly cultivated the decay in CCC and refuse to share any credit whatsoever.

Count_Lothian

Time Out
Apr 6, 2014
Your support in bringing down western civilization will no doubt be recognized and rewarded by season bathhouse tickets.

You can't strip laurals from me and award them to a forum maintenance person (who nobody ever heard of ) in my stead. I have single handedly cultivated the decay in CCC and refuse to share any credit whatsoever.

You sir have been Awarded the Cross of Death from the house of Lothian for works well done .

your post made me laugh , and can I peek into the dark recesses of your beaver

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
So if one's culture discriminates against another groups rights then the cultural practice is not a right. If that is the point he's making then he's 100 percent correct.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
You sir have been Awarded the Cross of Death from the house of Lothian for works well done .

your post made me laugh , and can I peek into the dark recesses of your beaver

I imagine the Cross of Death is awarded at some dinner engagement a big city. Send travel arrangments with the plane ticket and be advised I expect ten thousand per speaking engagement. Should I need a rental truck to transport the coveted Cross O Death? And is it gold or silver and of what approximate weight? I'll be busy this coming week buying cloths and having my toe nails trimmed.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
The non productive coupling of same sex humans is a self defeating non replicating waste of bodily fluids. Certainly the pushing of this issue over and above the primal meat and potato necessities will only harden the common mans resistance to change empty of profit or reason.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The pro-discrimination crowd have a point. They realise that a level playing field diminishes their already England-like chances of success.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
Id say rights in general are. I never really cared for tradition anyway. Doing something just because its always been done never made sense to me. If it makes people feel good or something - fine, but I don't see it as a good enough reason to keep it going for everyone else.

The non productive coupling of same sex humans is a self defeating non replicating waste of bodily fluids.

So is hetero sex with birth control by that definition. Its fun, thats good enough both for homosexual sex and hetero-sex with birth control. Personally Ive never had sex with the intention of reproducing and don't see that happening for quite some time to come. Its just fun.

Who is to judge whether those other cultures are right or wrong?

Whoever wants to judge is to judge.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
He is right because some times cultural and tradition. Its the the same as giving
equal rights to women or the slaves in the south Making them equal was against
culture and tradition too.
Progress is often painful and unpopular but culture and tradition must reconcile
its differences with history and freedom and equality
The old conservative traditions are going by the wayside and that is good we are
embracing the future conservatism is keep the same folks in power

Corduroy

Senate Member
Feb 9, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Bigots don't know what to think. On the one hand they hate LGBT people while on the other hand they hate other cultures. It must be hard for them.

Most majority cultures believe they have the right to discriminate against minority or weaker cultures. Who is to judge whether those other cultures are right or wrong?

How very liberal of you.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
The pro-discrimination crowd have a point. They realise that a level playing field diminishes their already England-like chances of success.

For a level playing field to exist the dirt must be packed over and over and over again. Are you accepting deposits? If so, I have a deposit to make.

Sincerely yours,

Ben Dover

Bigots don't know what to think. On the one hand they hate LGBT people while on the other hand they hate other cultures. It must be hard for them.

How very liberal of you.

Gweipo,

I don't have a problem with corksackers and chickenlickers. I just don't care about their predilections and activities. To me it's of no importance. However, I do care about the way they vote if they are Mei Guo ren, but not if they are Jianada ren.

As far as cultures are concerned, not all cultures are equal. That's why Mexico hasn't conquered Zhong Guo.

Sincerely yours,

Lao Peng

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
For a level playing field to exist the dirt must be packed over and over and over again. Are you accepting deposits? If so, I have a deposit to make.

Sincerely yours,

Ben Dover

Gweipo,

I don't have a problem with corksackers and chickenlickers. I just don't care about their predilections and activities. To me it's of no importance. However, I do care about the way they vote if they are Mei Guo ren, but not if they are Jianada ren.

As far as cultures are concerned, not all cultures are equal. That's why Mexico hasn't conquered Zhong Guo.

Sincerely yours,

Lao Peng
Are you looking for Phil McCracken?