Mother of 7 in jail because her kids skipped school dies in cell

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
A 55-year-old Pennsylvania mother of seven, sentenced to serve two days in jail because her children were absent too much from school and she couldn’t pay some $2,000 in truancy fines, was found dead in her cell.

The Associated Press reported that District Judge Dean R. Patton, who sent her to prison reluctantly, blamed a judicial system that imprisons poor people who can’t pay fines for minor offensives such as truancy fines. He said:
“This lady didn’t need to be there. We don’t do debtors prisons anymore. That went out 100 years ago.”
It hasn’t gone out in Pennsylvania.

The dead woman was identified as Eileen DiNino, of Reading, who went to jail to wipe clean some $2,000 in fines and court costs imposed on her since 1999 because a number of her children were absent too much from school in Reading and Muhlenberg townships. The fines themselves are not exorbitant — ”$8 for a “judicial computer project”; $60 for Berks County constables; $10 for postage” – but they can accumulate into a big number, the AP said. According to WFMZ, she had 55 pending violations.
What cause DiNino’s death had not been determined.

The AP reported that more than 1,600 people have been jailed in Berks County over school truancy fines since 2000. It quoted lawyer Richard Guida, who handed DiNino’s and many other people’s truancy cases as a solicitor some years ago, as saying:

“What you see is kind of a slice of inner-city life. The people home taking care of the children are mothers. Many times, they’re overwhelmed, and some of these kids are no angels.”
WFMZ reported that Pennsylvania law allows for a five-day jail sentence for every truancy violation, and it quoted Berks County Commissioner Christian Leinbach, (R) , as saying:
“That unfortunately is part of the law in Pennsylvania and I think it is insanity. There has got to be a better way to deal with truancy than putting somebody in prison.”

Mother of 7 in jail because her kids skipped school dies in cell - The Washington Post

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Wait. They locked up a poor woman because of what her kids did to "teach her to control her kids?"

How very right wing. Worked real good, too!

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Wait. They locked up a poor woman because of what her kids did to "teach her to control her kids?"

How very right wing. Worked real good, too!

The judicial system got it all wrong... Seeing how her kids weren't in school and,consequently, were not consuming educational resources, the mother and family really should have been paid the cash that she saved the system.

Shame

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I've read a number of sound bites on the web about imprisoning the poor lately. I can't believe this is going on.

We're back to Charles ****ens times.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
The law has to apply equally to everyone, unless there is interest in having multiple justice systems that deal differently with the same issues.

But truancy fines? and debtors prison? it's seems a bit extreme.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Sure it's silly, but these are the rules... Either they apply equally to everyone or no one.

That said, it seems that this lady/family had 50+ unpaid fines over a 15 year period..... This, in it's own way, is a joke in and of itself

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I wonder what she died of.

It may not in fact have anything to do with being jailed at the time.

The reasoning behind jailing her however is archaic.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Check your next traffic ticket. It might have 3 options. Pay up. Fine option of community service or a default stay in the pokey. Take your pick.

I took default once when a teen. 7AM to 7PM on a Saturday and Sunday sitting in room at the cop shop. The take out they fed me cost more than the fine.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
read what I wrote again, out loud, it will help

after reading the article

I read what you wrote, I quoted what you wrote. It's "archaic".

btw, so is stoning a woman for adultery. It's "archaic".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The Summary Offences Procedure Act, 1990
The Summary Offences Procedure Act, 1990, deals with the procedures for charging individuals with provincial offences and offences against municipal bylaws, including bylaws of the Wascana Centre Authority, the Meewasin Valley Authority, the Wakamow Valley Authority, the University of Regina and the University of Saskatchewan. The Act also prescribes the court's powers and duties respecting provincial offences, which generally follow the summary conviction provisions of the Criminal Code, and the enforcement of fines resulting from convictions.

The most common offences relate to driving. However, many Saskatchewan statutes have summary offence provisions (e.g., statutes dealing with the sale and use of alcohol, fishing and hunting, the use of provincial parks' facilities, and environmental safety).

Proceedings under the Act may begin by issuing the alleged offender a summary offence ticket - either a summons ticket or an offence notice ticket. Instead of the normal court process, a defendant who has been served with a summons or an offence notice, and who wishes to plead guilty, may deliver the summons or offence notice and the amount of the fine specified before the date due to the place specified.

Offences that go to trial are under the jurisdiction of a judge of the Provincial Court or a justice of the peace. Where the penalty on conviction of a summary offence is a fine, the person is given the option of choosing to participate in the Fine Option Program. Under this program, an offender who is convicted and sentenced to a fine may work off any part of the fine.
A person convicted of a driving offence who has defaulted on paying the fine imposed will have his or her driver's licence suspended or cancelled until the fine is paid. The Minister of Justice may file the conviction with the Court of Queen's Bench to make a judgment enforcing the order.
Where the default is against a corporation, the justice may issue a warrant of distress to any sheriff, bailiff or peace officer to seize items belonging to the corporation to satisfy the outstanding fine.
Justices are also permitted to order restitution as a sentence for provincial offences. At the sentencing of an offender, the justice may order the offender to pay, as restitution, all or part of the cost of restoring or replacing property damaged, lost or destroyed as a result of the offence. The restitution order may be ordered in addition to any other penalty imposed on the offender.
Amendments to this Act relating to the enforcement of parking bylaws came into force on January 1, 2006. These amendments:
allow a parking summons to be served by mail;
provide that a default conviction can occur where a person does not respond in any way to a summons;
provide that a lien can be registered against a vehicle owned by a person with an outstanding parking fine; and
set out the procedure to be followed before a person can be incarcerated for an outstanding parking fine.