Mother of 7 in jail because her kids skipped school dies in cell

tay
A 55-year-old Pennsylvania mother of seven, sentenced to serve two days in jail because her children were absent too much from school and she couldn’t pay some $2,000 in truancy fines, was found dead in her cell.

The Associated Press reported that District Judge Dean R. Patton, who sent her to prison reluctantly, blamed a judicial system that imprisons poor people who can’t pay fines for minor offensives such as truancy fines. He said:
“This lady didn’t need to be there. We don’t do debtors prisons anymore. That went out 100 years ago.”
It hasn’t gone out in Pennsylvania.

The dead woman was identified as Eileen DiNino, of Reading, who went to jail to wipe clean some $2,000 in fines and court costs imposed on her since 1999 because a number of her children were absent too much from school in Reading and Muhlenberg townships. The fines themselves are not exorbitant — ”$8 for a “judicial computer project”; $60 for Berks County constables; $10 for postage” – but they can accumulate into a big number, the AP said. According to WFMZ, she had 55 pending violations.
What cause DiNino’s death had not been determined.

The AP reported that more than 1,600 people have been jailed in Berks County over school truancy fines since 2000. It quoted lawyer Richard Guida, who handed DiNino’s and many other people’s truancy cases as a solicitor some years ago, as saying:
“What you see is kind of a slice of inner-city life. The people home taking care of the children are mothers. Many times, they’re overwhelmed, and some of these kids are no angels.”
WFMZ reported that Pennsylvania law allows for a five-day jail sentence for every truancy violation, and it quoted Berks County Commissioner Christian Leinbach, (R) , as saying:
“That unfortunately is part of the law in Pennsylvania and I think it is insanity. There has got to be a better way to deal with truancy than putting somebody in prison.”

Mother of 7 in jail because her kids skipped school dies in cell - The Washington Post

Tecumsehsbones
+4
Wait. They locked up a poor woman because of what her kids did to "teach her to control her kids?"

How very right wing. Worked real good, too!

Ludlow
+2
I have one question. "where was the dad."

Tecumsehsbones
+6
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

You're right. They should have killed him too.

taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+3
Death to the poor. That should teach them.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+3
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Wait. They locked up a poor woman because of what her kids did to "teach her to control her kids?"

How very right wing. Worked real good, too!

The judicial system got it all wrong... Seeing how her kids weren't in school and,consequently, were not consuming educational resources, the mother and family really should have been paid the cash that she saved the system.

Shame

Twila
+1
I've read a number of sound bites on the web about imprisoning the poor lately. I can't believe this is going on.

We're back to Charles ****ens times.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by TwilaView Post

I've read a number of sound bites on the web about imprisoning the poor lately. I can't believe this is going on.

We're back to Charles ****ens times.

The law has to apply equally to everyone, unless there is interest in having multiple justice systems that deal differently with the same issues.

Twila
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

The law has to apply equally to everyone, unless there is interest in having multiple justice systems that deal differently with the same issues.

But truancy fines? and debtors prison? it's seems a bit extreme.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Sure it's silly, but these are the rules... Either they apply equally to everyone or no one.

That said, it seems that this lady/family had 50+ unpaid fines over a 15 year period..... This, in it's own way, is a joke in and of itself

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+4
I wonder what she died of.

It may not in fact have anything to do with being jailed at the time.

The reasoning behind jailing her however is archaic.

Spade
Free Thinker
+2
The incarceration rate in the US is Number 1.
Mum's the word.

petros
+2
Check your next traffic ticket. It might have 3 options. Pay up. Fine option of community service or a default stay in the pokey. Take your pick.

I took default once when a teen. 7AM to 7PM on a Saturday and Sunday sitting in room at the cop shop. The take out they fed me cost more than the fine.

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

The reasoning behind jailing her however is archaic.

archaic, ya, that's it. The law is "archaic". "It's just an archaic law".

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
Quote: Originally Posted by SpadeView Post

The incarceration rate in the US is Number 1.
Mum's the word.

A chilling statistic... An excellent argument to justify getting rid of all laws

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

archaic, ya, that's it. The law is "archaic". "It's just an archaic law".

read what I wrote again, out loud, it will help

after reading the article

gerryh

I read what you wrote, I quoted what you wrote. It's "archaic".

btw, so is stoning a woman for adultery. It's "archaic".

Nuggler
+7
#18  Top Rated Post

Gerry's "reader" had to go out to the store. He's watchin TV till she gets back. She'll read it to him again maybe.

Tecumsehsbones
+2
Bearden v. Georgia, 461 U.S. 660 (1983).

Bearden v. Georgia - 461 U.S. 660 (1983) :: Justia US Supreme Court Center

petros
+1
The Summary Offences Procedure Act, 1990
The Summary Offences Procedure Act, 1990, deals with the procedures for charging individuals with provincial offences and offences against municipal bylaws, including bylaws of the Wascana Centre Authority, the Meewasin Valley Authority, the Wakamow Valley Authority, the University of Regina and the University of Saskatchewan. The Act also prescribes the court's powers and duties respecting provincial offences, which generally follow the summary conviction provisions of the Criminal Code, and the enforcement of fines resulting from convictions.

The most common offences relate to driving. However, many Saskatchewan statutes have summary offence provisions (e.g., statutes dealing with the sale and use of alcohol, fishing and hunting, the use of provincial parks' facilities, and environmental safety).

Proceedings under the Act may begin by issuing the alleged offender a summary offence ticket - either a summons ticket or an offence notice ticket. Instead of the normal court process, a defendant who has been served with a summons or an offence notice, and who wishes to plead guilty, may deliver the summons or offence notice and the amount of the fine specified before the date due to the place specified.

Offences that go to trial are under the jurisdiction of a judge of the Provincial Court or a justice of the peace. Where the penalty on conviction of a summary offence is a fine, the person is given the option of choosing to participate in the Fine Option Program. Under this program, an offender who is convicted and sentenced to a fine may work off any part of the fine.
A person convicted of a driving offence who has defaulted on paying the fine imposed will have his or her driver's licence suspended or cancelled until the fine is paid. The Minister of Justice may file the conviction with the Court of Queen's Bench to make a judgment enforcing the order.
Where the default is against a corporation, the justice may issue a warrant of distress to any sheriff, bailiff or peace officer to seize items belonging to the corporation to satisfy the outstanding fine.
Justices are also permitted to order restitution as a sentence for provincial offences. At the sentencing of an offender, the justice may order the offender to pay, as restitution, all or part of the cost of restoring or replacing property damaged, lost or destroyed as a result of the offence. The restitution order may be ordered in addition to any other penalty imposed on the offender.
Amendments to this Act relating to the enforcement of parking bylaws came into force on January 1, 2006. These amendments:
allow a parking summons to be served by mail;
provide that a default conviction can occur where a person does not respond in any way to a summons;
provide that a lien can be registered against a vehicle owned by a person with an outstanding parking fine; and
set out the procedure to be followed before a person can be incarcerated for an outstanding parking fine.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+1

Bearden v. Georgia, 461 U.S. 660 (1983).

Bearden v. Georgia - 461 U.S. 660 (1983) :: Justia US Supreme Court Center

guess she didn't have a good lawyer

Tecumsehsbones
+2

guess she didn't have a good lawyer

Well, she's dead, so I chalk this up as another victory for Western Civilisation.

Sal
No Party Affiliation

Well, she's dead, so I chalk this up as another victory for Western Civilisation.

but to be fair, depending upon cause of death, she might have been dead anyway...we will need autopsy results yet....I give the judge credit...he seems to be a tad more enlightened than many but as he said, she should not have been there to begin with

Tecumsehsbones

but to be fair, depending upon cause of death, she might have been dead anyway...we will need autopsy results yet....I give the judge credit...he seems to be a tad more enlightened than many but as he said, she should not have been there to begin with

I'm not real sure of that. I don't know exactly how the statute is written, but the judge almost always has discretion to suspend a sentence. His regret sounds kinda post facto.

captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+2

The judge killed her... The school system killed her.... Is there no justice in the world?

damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+5
The law has to apply equally true, but what happens when the law is wrong or just
ridiculous? America is full of these kinds of laws, and to be fair we have so many
it would be impossible to correct them all in Canada as well.
The problem is our society has outpaced the legal structure. Putting a person in
jail for something someone else is responsible for is nuts.
Get this on one hand we say children should not get special privilege they have to
be responsible in the same breath we sentence a parent to jail for the irresponsible
child we want to rehabilitate.
The mother is dead so I guess justice was done? Some short sighted fool put this
law on the books and society just shrugs its shoulders.
I wonder what it would cost to round up all the outdated laws and the laws that are
unjust and dissolve them I don't think we could even afford to do that there are too many
but its time we started the process for the ones that ruin peoples lives and provide little
benefit for society. Over crowded prisons everywhere and we put mothers in jail for
kids skipping school the judge needs his head examined.

jariax
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LudlowView Post

I suspect the correct question is: "where were the dads?"

BruSan
Justice is blind remember? Here's a question that needs asking. The woman must have been aware for some time that the truancy behaviour of her children was amassing her a debt and if my guess is correct as a single mother she should have been very blunt in passing that little tid-bit along to her progeny thusly: "do you want your mother to go to jail?" "do you want to end up split as a family with all of you living in different foster homes or state facilities?" "is your unwillingness to attend school that important that I as your mother should do time in jail for it?"

So how come these freak'n kids just kept piling up the debt against their mother in what looks like either mom didn't give a crap so never had those discussions with them OR if she did have that discussion on more than one occasion, and the kids didn't give a crap, it might serve some satisfaction to the rest of the family if she had sisters or brothers to sit these little brats down and ask them: "well now that you've played a major part in the death of your mother, what is it you think should be done on your behalf now?"

Actions have consequences and these did not suddenly materialize out of thin air. I believe she was well aware of the required punishment and performed some elective reasoning thus: "three hots and a cot for a couple of days away from them will wipe out this debt, give me a rest and show them what happens when they screw up. Bring it on judge."

Nuggler
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by captain morganView Post

The judge killed her... The school system killed her.... Is there no justice in the world?

I'm not real sure of that. I don't know exactly how the statute is written, but the judge almost always has discretion to suspend a sentence. His regret sounds kinda post facto.

whut yo talkin bout post facto
posts ain't got **** all do wit it
get yo honkey *** ouda here motha fukka
get on de de facto
dose de facto pizzas de bess
big looooy pizza good too
pos facto
haw haw
u dummy
haw haw

gerryh
Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

Gerry's "reader" had to go out to the store. He's watchin TV till she gets back. She'll read it to him again maybe.

as we can see, nuggler is dumber than a sack of nails.....and........

Quote: Originally Posted by NugglerView Post

whut yo talkin bout post facto
posts ain't got **** all do wit it
get yo honkey *** ouda here motha fukka
get on de de facto
dose de facto pizzas de bess
big looooy pizza good too
pos facto
haw haw
u dummy
haw haw

one hell of a bigot.