IRS claims they lost Lois Lerner’s emails (you know, the good ones)

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
I’m gonna just go ahead and say this is nothing but a bunch of HOOEY:
WASHINGTON TIMES – The IRS told Congress on Friday that it has lost some of former employee Lois G. Lerner’s emails, including some covering communications with Democrats in Congress and with other parts of the government, according to the House’s top tax-law writer.

Rep. Dave Camp, chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, said he was stunned that it took more than a year into the investigation for the IRS to inform Congress that it didn’t have those emails.

The agency blamed a computer crash for the mishap.

“The fact that I am just learning about this, over a year into the investigation, is completely unacceptable and now calls into question the credibility of the IRS’s response to congressional inquiries,” Mr. Camp said. “There needs to be an immediate investigation and forensic audit by Department of Justice as well as the Inspector General.”
The IRS is obviously steeped in corruption. If this isn’t an argument to abolish the IRS, I don’t know what is.

IRS claims they lost Lois Lerner’s emails (you know, the good ones) » The Right Scoop -

David Burge ‏@iowahawkblog

Oddly, government can produce all of your emails from 2009-2011.

and...

Nixon, 1973: 18 minute gap. IRS, 2014: 700,000 minute gap.

DTH ‏@DavidTHogan

@iowahawkblog @charlescwcooke This needs to be in every press conference/interview/Sunday talk show

The agency blamed a

computer crash

for the mishap.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
How believable is it that the emails were lost? Has anyone heard of data recovery. There's an entire industry based on it. How believable is it that the IRS didn't have backup?

Does anyone remember the eighteen minutes of erased Nixon Watergate tapes? That enraged the country, and was one of the events that brought down a president. Americans in the current era aren't very similar to those Traditional Americans from the early seventies. Americans today are more like livestock.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Check with Snowden.

I don't know about Snowden. He is part hero and part traitor. However, I do believe in Glenn Greenwald. It would appear Greenwald is the only American to have acted honorably over the course of the last ten years.

Btw, on the subject of the lost Lois Lerner emails, the dog ate my homework.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Why does this announcement surprise us? Look at previous issues surrounding some very sensitive documents in question. All the communications relevant to the investigation suddenly disappeared just before they were ordered to be brought forth. This is our government in action folks.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I don't have a proper metaphor but this makes Nixon's Watergate look like a high school prank.

But it is Obama's Administration so...

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
As usual, best comment yet is from Mark Steyn:

"They're openly sneering at us now. Late on Friday, the Internal Revenue Service revealed that two-and-a-quarter years of Lois Lerner's emails have been "lost"

"Over the weekend, Charles Krauthammer and Peggy Noonan and George Will compared Lois Lerner's missing two-and-a-quarter years to Rose Mary Woods' missing eighteen-and-a-half minutes. President Nixon's secretary - the soi-disant "Fifth Nixon" - died in 2005,"

"You could fill a memorial library with novels set in the Seventies in which she serves as the instant all-purpose cultural allusion. She's there in Rick Moody's The Ice Storm, and Delia Ephron's Hanging Up, and Wally Lamb's She's Come Undone, and Robert Ludlum's Apocalypse Watch ("I figured we had one of those Rose Mary Woods things"). In Samuel Shem's The House of God four generations of a family gather for dinner, and Rose's turn provides fun for young and old:
Spurred on by the news photos of Rose Mary Woods spread-eagled between the foot pedal of her tape recorder and the phone behind her as if awaiting a quick roll in the hay with Nixon, we laughed and chortled together that now, finally, Nixon was going to get his… My brother's four-year-old daughter… was learning to play with her toy phone by picking it up and spread-eagling herself and screaming RO-MARY REACH RO-MARY REACH…
"Does anyone think Lois Lerner will rate a barrel-load of novels and parody awards? Most Americans have no idea who she is because, unlike Rose Mary Woods, the media have declined to make her a punchline. On Saturday, Ms Lerner failed to make the front page of The New York Times - or any other page. Emboldened by the acquiescence of the media's court eunuchs, American government is on the move, exiting the First World and heading for banana-republic territory, at quite a clip.
So, like a Gay Nineties boulevardier riddled with tertiary syphilis, the diseased IRS staggers on. Benghazi and Baghdad are far away, but the most powerful revenue agency on the planet is in your home, in your bank, in your credit card statements. If the IRS is corrupt, it wouldn't matter if every other federal agency were squeaky clean, which they certainly aren't. But it's beyond that: the IRS is systemically corrupt, and they're getting away with it. Which means that they'll keep doing it, and worse.
If you listen carefully, that sound you hear in the two-year static of vaporized evidence is your government laughing at you."

We Don't Need No Stinkin' Emails :: SteynOnline

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Bizarre. As the old saying goes, it's not the conduct, it's the cover-up that gets you. In this case, neither Lerner nor the IRS did anything wrong in the first place, but now they're doing everything they can to cover that up.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Bizarre. As the old saying goes, it's not the conduct, it's the cover-up that gets you. In this case, neither Lerner nor the IRS did anything wrong in the first place, but now they're doing everything they can to cover that up.
Right .