A foolish faith in authority is the worst enemy of the truth.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Indeed, scientists have shown that people will go to absurd lengths – and engage in mental gymnastics – in order to cling to their belief in what those in authority have said.
Part of the reason so many are so vulnerable to naive belief in authority is that we evolved in small tribes … and we assume that the super-elites are just like us.
In reality, there are millions of psychopaths in the world … and they are largely running D.C. and on Wall Street.

Albert Einstein: “A Foolish Faith In Authority Is The Worst Enemy Of The Truth� | The Mind Unleashed

grumpydigger

Electoral Member
Mar 4, 2009
Kelowna BC
Authority figures use this blind faith to con and manipulate the unthinking masses. And it gives the unthinking masses a sense of security that they're doing and pleasing their proverbial big brother.
Politicians, religious leaders even law enforcement put out statements to literally manipulate the vast majority of the population.

We know what's best, and if you don't fall in line like good little sheep there will be consequences.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Part of the reason so many are so vulnerable to naive belief in authority is that we evolved in small tribes … and we assume that the super-elites are just like us.

As a child I knew adults knew more then I did and so was reassured that life would be ok. As a teenager, even though I rebelled against my parents hard, I knew that adults still knew more about the workings of the world. As an adult, I learned that most adults know very little about the workings of the world and even less of those adults, when asked a question would use critical thinking, and logic instead of a knew jerk emotional response.

We need to teach critical thinking in school.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Critical thinking is against political, religious and corporate interests. The psychopaths are in power because there is so little critical thought and that is what they count on. Sheeple will follow anybody who offers to take the burden of thought off their hands.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Critical thinking is against political, religious and corporate interests. The psychopaths are in power because there is so little critical thought and that is what they count on. Sheeple will follow anybody who offers to take the burden of thought off their hands.

I know that it's bad...sheeple. I do understand the attraction to it though. Growing up, my dad watched nothing but PBS. Nova, nature of things, documentaries on wars. I remember being young and watching some horrific documentaries. The iconic footage of a suspected viet cong man in Vietnam shot in the head. the video footage of the piles of starved holocause bodies, the mounds of shoes and hair. Of burned arms stretched under the metal walls seeking freedom. the footage of a black man having been chained to a tree and burned alive. It was harsh and I cried. I can imagine wanting to know nothing about human what humans are capable.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I know that it's bad...sheeple. I do understand the attraction to it though. Growing up, my dad watched nothing but PBS. Nova, nature of things, documentaries on wars. I remember being young and watching some horrific documentaries. The iconic footage of a suspected viet cong man in Vietnam shot in the head. the video footage of the piles of starved holocause bodies, the mounds of shoes and hair. Of burned arms stretched under the metal walls seeking freedom. the footage of a black man having been chained to a tree and burned alive. It was harsh and I cried. I can imagine wanting to know nothing about human what humans are capable.
Awareness is both a freedom and a terrible burden. Most people don't want to think about it but would rather others tell them what to think about what is important. This is why "reality" TV is so prevalent today - social engineering at its finest. "Dumb 'em down, Wilbur."

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
As I recall asking why in school usually earned one a rap across the knuckles with a ruler of a cuff on the ear.
I was a "why" person too...drove my teachers crazy. I had to discuss and analyze the why all of the time. and some piece of me had to challenge everything, I had to know they had an answer or could admit that they either didn't know or maybe didn't agree but why I needed to do it anyway... as long as there was an explanation that made some type of sense I was okey-dokey

I had good teachers, they never shut me down.

my house too... I remember picking up books about the war and those were real dead bodies, I was a sensitive kid and my parents were practical realists having living through the war, air raids, streets being sprayed with bullets etc. It was watched on tv and discussed ad nauseam.

My nature was to be zen about people, not hurt anyone or anything mentally, physically or emotionally...they had to retrain me so I would survive...I just didn't get it.

Awareness is both a freedom and a terrible burden.
agreed, each of us most find which burdens we can bare to improve that portion of the world... I can't deal with animals but I am okay listening to kids or adults talk about the terrible things that have happened to them...I can help there...but not animals...I can't know about that...

Most people don't want to think about it but would rather others tell them what to think about what is important. This is why "reality" TV is so prevalent today - social engineering at its finest. "Dumb 'em down, Wilbur."
I like reality TV at night sometimes just because it is stupid and mind numbing

take your head off of that kid that came in bruised or is a cutter... ya have to make yourself shut down.