Political correctness takes one on the chin

Locutus
House Adopts Amendment to Protect Service Members’ Right to Tobacco

Duncan Hunter: ‘We sleep in the dirt for this country, we get shot at, but we can’t have a cigarette if we want?’

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R., Calif.) is fighting to protect service members’ right to use tobacco, offering an amendment that would stop the Pentagon’s plans to ban the sale of the product on base.

“We sleep in the dirt for this country,” said Hunter, who quit his job after 9/11 to join the Marine Corps. “We get shot at for this country. But we can’t have a cigarette if we want to for this country, because that’s unhealthy.”

Hunter offered an amendment during a House Armed Services Committee markup of fiscal year 2015 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) on Wednesday evening. The amendment would guarantee that no products that were legally for sale in commissaries and bases at the beginning of the year could be banned.

“The reason I bring this up is because we’ve had interference from the Secretary of the Navy and others that think guys like me when we served in the Marine Corps, they’re going to tell us that we can’t buy soda, we can’t buy chewing tobacco, we can’t buy beer, we can only buy 2 percent milk,” Hunter said. “We don’t want that to happen.”

“Especially for the enlisted ranks and the young officers, it’s important that what few amenities we get to keep when we join the service and give our lives up to Uncle Sam for four years, that those amenities, we get to keep them,” he said. “That’s what [the amendment] does.”

Democrats on the committee objected to Hunter’s proposal.

[...anyway...]

The committee adopted Hunter’s amendment by a voice vote.

House Adopts Amendment to Protect Service Members’ Right to Tobacco | Washington Free Beacon (external - login to view)

PoliticalNick
Free Thinker
I think there are a bunch of democrats that will not be getting the armed forces vote in the next election.

EagleSmack
It is not just the cigarettes... our HUMVEEs had lines of brown streaks streaming from the windows to the exhaust.

Tecumsehsbones
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

It is not just the cigarettes... our HUMVEEs had lines of brown streaks streaming from the windows to the exhaust.

Yeah, but that was mostly dysentery and hangovers.

BornRuff
I guess some tobacco lobbyists definitely earned his salary today.

Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
In Afghanistan American smokes were just over a buck a pack. I wanted to start smoking again. ha ha ha. Cubans were like $5. That was awesome.

Goes to show how much the gummint is making off smokes though. They're more than $10 a pack in BC. 95% of that is taxes. The gummint is just like a corner store dealer--get 'em hooked chepa then jack up the price.

Anyways score one for freedom and goal against for teh nanny state. Yeee-haw. Smoke 'em if you got 'em boys!

gerryh
+1
#7  Top Rated Post
Quote: Originally Posted by BornRuffView Post

I guess some tobacco lobbyists definitely earned his salary today.

Ya, I see you're as big an idiot as the moron that came up with the first line of the article.

“The reason I bring this up is because we’ve had interference from the Secretary of the Navy and others that think guys like me when we served in the Marine Corps, they’re going to tell us that we can’t buy soda, we can’t buy chewing tobacco, we can’t buy beer, we can only buy 2 percent milk,” Hunter said. “We don’t want that to happen.”

“Especially for the enlisted ranks and the young officers, it’s important that what few amenities we get to keep when we join the service and give our lives up to Uncle Sam for four years, that those amenities, we get to keep them,” he said. “That’s what [the amendment] does.”

Cigarettes would be just one item in a long list.

One thing, you're consistent as all hell with your ignorance.

BornRuff
Quote: Originally Posted by gerryhView Post

Cigarettes would be just one item in a long list.

Yet he specifically mentioned tobacco, which is important, since you need to make sure that the people paying the bills know that you are doing right by them.

gerryh

Yet he specifically mentioned tobacco, which is important, since you need to make sure that the people paying the bills know that you are doing right by them.

He also specifically mentioned soda pop and 2% milk.

so I guess that means he's in the soft drink company's and dairy industries pockets.

BornRuff

He also specifically mentioned soda pop and 2% milk.

so I guess that means he's in the soft drink company's and dairy industries pockets.

Probably. I'm sure most of those guys would shill for just about anyone with a cheque book. But the tobacco was definitely what he put front and center.

Given the talk about possibly stopping the sale of tobacco on these commissaries, can you imagine the tobacco lobbyist not going out to find someone to champion their case?

gerryh

Probably. I'm sure most of those guys would shill for just about anyone with a cheque book. But the tobacco was definitely what he put front and center.

Given the talk about possibly stopping the sale of tobacco on these commissaries, can you imagine the tobacco lobbyist not going out to find someone to champion their case?

Of course, you're right. It's a conspiracy.

BornRuff

Of course, you're right. It's a conspiracy.

Lol, you think corporations lobbying government representatives is a conspiracy theory?

Tecumsehsbones
The funny part is this is the same bunch that forced base exchanges to stop selling skin magazines.

gerryh

Lol, you think corporations lobbying government representatives is a conspiracy theory?

No, I think you putting this down as a politician cow towing to the tobacco lobby makes it a conspiracy theory.