George H.W. Bush was honored Sunday with a Kennedy "courage" award

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
for agreeing to raise taxes to confront a spiraling deficit, jeopardizing his presidency that ended after just one term.

The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum in Boston honored Bush with a 2014 John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Award.

The award crossed generations and political parties. It was given by Jack Schlossberg, son of the late Democratic president's daughter, Caroline Kennedy, to Lauren Bush, granddaughter of the former Republican president.

Conservatives denounced Bush for raising taxes, breaking a key promise in his successful 1988 campaign for the White House.

Schlossberg said the award recognizes Bush for taking action, even if it was unpopular.

"We celebrate courage today, in a moment of profound change and challenge, in a world gripped by partisan gridlock and inaction," he said.

The budget deal enacted "responsible and desperately needed reforms" at the expense of Bush's popularity and his chances for re-election, Schlossberg said.

"America's gain was President Bush's loss, and his decision to put country above party and political prospects makes him an example of a modern profile in courage that is all too rare," he said.

In a message read by his granddaughter, Bush expressed regret he could not accept the award in person. He blamed his absence on "a nasty rumor" that the evening's awards dinner would include broccoli — a vegetable the 41st president famously dislikes.

"Candidly speaking, my grandfather didn't want to raise taxes," Lauren Bush said as she accepted the award. "But ... he felt he owed the American people action and results. Compromise is a dirty word in Washington today. ... But once we get back to realizing the importance of actual governance, I suspect this too will pass."

Also honored with a Profile in Courage Award was Paul W. Bridges, former mayor of Uvalda, Georgia, who was voted out of office after he spoke out against a law that aimed to drive undocumented immigrants out of the state. Bridges, a Republican elected in 2009, argued that the law would separate families and harm the local agricultural economy.

The award is named for Kennedy's 1957 book, "Profiles in Courage," which tells the stories of eight U.S. senators who took unpopular stands.

Former President Bush honored with Kennedy award

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Good for him.

How many on this forum have flown an aircraft through enemy flak? GHWB did.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Good thread Tay.

Maybe some of you remember Clinton and the Democrats using this broken campaign promise to great effect in the 1992 presidential election with Bill Clinton repeatedly saying "Read my lips"

Just look at this Clinton campaign ad

Bill Clinton attacks "read my lips" - YouTube

So Bush compromised and worked with the Democrat controlled Congress and they rammed it down his throat.

Now the Libs are giving him an award for it 22 years later.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Good thread Tay.

Maybe some of you remember Clinton and the Democrats using this broken campaign promise to great effect in the 1992 presidential election with Bill Clinton repeatedly saying "Read my lips"

Just look at this Clinton campaign ad

Bill Clinton attacks "read my lips" - YouTube

So Bush compromised and worked with the Democrat controlled Congress and they rammed it down his throat.

Now the Libs are giving him an award for it 22 years later.
True enough, though the award is not given by "Libs." What's your point? That politics is a rough game?

Welcome to the real world. Here's your big-boy pants.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
True enough, though the award is not given by "Libs." What's your point? That politics is a rough game?

C'mon... it's a Kennedy award giving by the Kennedy family and "other" prominent Americans. The timing of the award is suspect.

You had me at true enough... but then. ;)

Welcome to the real world.

Care to join us?

Here's your big-boy pants.

Perhaps you should put them on, I already have mine.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
since mr tay put courage in quotes, I took the thread as sarcastic but not enough to invoke my rage or nuthin'.

anyway, attaboy George Sr.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
George was a fool who took the bait held out by the left in order to reach a budget agreement. The Democrats required Bush to betray his base by reneging on his promise not to raise taxes. Then the Democrats campaigned against Bush by claiming he was a tax raiser. He was a fool for acting in good faith with people who always act in bad faith.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
George was a fool who took the bait held out by the left in order to reach a budget agreement. The Democrats required Bush to betray his base by reneging on his promise not to raise taxes. Then the Democrats campaigned against Bush by claiming he was a tax raiser. He was a fool for acting in good faith with people who always act in bad faith.

That is right BT. He cooperated and worked with the Democrats in Congress and for that it gave Clinton and the Democrats their 1992 War Cry...

"READ MY LIPS"

They ran George Sr. into the dirt on that broken promise that they set up. It was genius and diabolical at the same time. That's what George got for working together with the Democrats... soundly bounced from office.

Now the Kennedy's are giving him a Profile in Courage Award. I honestly would have loved to be a fly on the wall when they decided that they would give it to George Sr.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Bush Sr was a good guy. He was masterful in GW1. I thought it was too bad he didn't get a second term.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
since mr tay put courage in quotes, I took the thread as sarcastic but not enough to invoke my rage or nuthin'.

anyway, attaboy George Sr.

ummmmm........If you read the story from the Associated Press at the link I provided you will see that I simply copied their paragraph and I did not add any quote or other marks or words...........

BOSTON (AP) — Former President George H.W. Bush was honored Sunday with a Kennedy "courage" award for agreeing to raise taxes to confront a spiraling deficit, jeopardizing his presidency that ended after just one term.

PS; I did bold the above...............

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
To quote Reagan, government is the problem, not the solution. If government is not the solution at home, it can't possibly serve that role overseas.
Like I said, Kuwait can go to hell.