Minneapolis Changes "Columbus Day" To "Indigenous People's Day"

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

It’s been debated for years, but now the city of Minneapolis has decided to change from celebrating Columbus Day to observing Indigenous People’s Day instead.

Columbus Day has been a federal holiday since 1937, though not all states observe it, including Alaska, Hawaii, Oregon, and South Dakota.

The day has long been a hot button issue over whether it is offensive to the American Indian culture to credit Christopher Columbus with the discovery of America.

On Friday, the Minneapolis City Council voted unanimously to approve the proposal to rename the day Indigenous People’s Day.

The designation would be observed on all city communications.

Minneapolis Changes "Columbus Day" To "Indigenous People's Day" - Valley News Live - KVLY/KXJB - Fargo/Grand Forks

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Re: Minneapolis Changes "Columbus Day" To "Indigenous People's Day"

Since Columbus was a couple of thousand years late not to mention totally lost celebrating his "discovery" does seem odd.

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com

Columbus Day focuses on the beginning of the Age of Exploration which shaped History as we know it. Whether or not Columbus was good or bad doesn't change the his action of bridging the gap between the New World and the Old. Without Columbus, modern institutions as they are wouldn't exist and Western Civilization would have taken a different turn.

So to those Politically Correct pompas azzholes... Go F*ck Yourselves..

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

ah, the old columbus myth.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

Without Columbus, modern institutions as they are wouldn't exist and Western Civilization would have taken a different turn.

Well, no.

It's not like without him Europe would have never found out about North America. Columbus isn't even the first European to land on North America. I don't think the Europeans would have acted much differently if it was anyone else who bumped into North America by accident.

He obviously played a significant role in history, but that role is a lot more nuanced than what became part of the US founding myths. What he started brought a lot of prosperity to some, and a lot of devastation to others, so I can see how people may be conflicted about celebrating him.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007

Revisionists.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013

Revisionists.

Or just people interested in the truth?

Do you think the founding myth version is really the be all end all?

Your interpretation of the Canadian Constitution turned out to be wrong, so maybe your version of this is wrong too.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

Vermont ditches Columbus Day for Indigenous Peoples' Day

Under the decree, Shumlin said a growing number of cities in towns in the United States have recognized the second Monday in October as Indigenous Peoples' Day.

The day is "an opportunity to celebrate indigenous heritage and resiliency," the proclamation stated.

"I think it's been a really long time coming," said White River Junction Cartoon Studies student Erienne McCray. "Now Vermont has built in this day to celebrate indigenous peoples and i think that's fantastic.

Vermont traditionally "recognizes the historic, cultural and contemporary significance of the Indigenous Peoples of the land that later became known as the Americas, including Vermont," Shumlin's decree stated.

"The State of Vermont recognizes that it was founded and is built upon lands first inhabited by the Indigenous Peoples of this region - the Abenaki and their ancestors and allies - and acknowledges and honors the members of the community, both past and present."
Shumlin encouraged all Vermonters to celebrate the new holiday.

South Dakota is the only other state to recognize Indigenous Peoples' Day.

Vermont became the 14th state in 1791.

Vermont ditches Columbus Day for Indigenous Peoples' Day, Hartford may make the switch for good

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County

I always thought it a rather silly celebration, yes there are a lot of references to Columbus in place names, so why did they name the continents after Amerigo Vespucci and leave it at that?

HarperCons

Council Member
Oct 18, 2015

Columbus Day focuses on the beginning of the Age of Exploration which shaped History as we know it. Whether or not Columbus was good or bad doesn't change the his action of bridging the gap between the New World and the Old. Without Columbus, modern institutions as they are wouldn't exist and Western Civilization would have taken a different turn.

Gibberish. Shut the **** up goof.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

Can't people just enjoy the day off work? Call it Thanksgiving like we do in Canada.

Ludlow

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 7, 2014
wherever i sit down my ars

From what I've read Columbus was an azzhole.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006

..and he discovered an inhabited San Salvador.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015

Shoulda called it european s' day...home

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

I always thought it a rather silly celebration, yes there are a lot of references to Columbus in place names, so why did they name the continents after Amerigo Vespucci and leave it at that?
Well they did name my Provence British Columbia for some reason or other . Maybe that explains some of the place names like Galiano , Sooke and Malispina .But what has that got to do with Spain . I always wondered ,does it rain more in Spain then Sooke ?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Probably a good idea as I'm quite sure Chris didn't get within spitting distance of Minneapolis (which was probably a fairly small berg at the time!)

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

Indigenous Peoples Day....hehehe... how silly.