Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
yawn...

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Well, that's that then. I'm sure Putin will see the light now that American has told him to behave. I bet he's quaking in his boots.

Not.

It's a pity Thatcher isn't with us anymore. She would have sorted Putin out.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
"Although the president did not definitely say whether Russia would face further sanctions if the meeting failed, he said, "What I've said consistently is that each time Russia takes these kinds of steps, that are designed to destabilize Ukraine and violate their sovereignty, that there are going to be consequences.""

So far the only consequences arethat Russia has accepted Crimea as part of their protectorate. At the rate the current trend is going all of the Ukraine Armed Forces will have surrendered to the peasants of the eastern Ukraine by months end.

(in part)
SLOVIANSK, Ukraine – Ukraine’s “anti-terrorist operation” to take back areas in eastern Ukraine seized by pro-Russian forces faltered today as units of Ukraine’s elite forces in tanks and armored personnel carriers defected to the pro-Russian side.
In at least two towns – Sloviansk and Kramatorsk – armored vehicles were seen flying Russian flags and carrying defected troops.
It comes after Ukraine made a big display of military might for journalists on Tuesday, showing off the hardware and forces that would take part in the operation. A little while later, helicopters containing special forces took off on their first mission, taking back the Kramatorsk airfield that had been occupied by armed gunmen.
As the operation continued today, Ukrainian jets and helicopters could be seen flying across the skies of the eastern Donetsk region.
Ukraine’s acting president said Tuesday that the operation would be conducted “gradually with caution and responsibility.”
“I want to emphasize that the aim of the operation is to protect the citizens of Ukraine, to stop terror, to stop criminals and to stop attempts at tearing our country apart,” he said.
Ukraine’s Offensive Falters as Elite Units Defect to Pro-Russia Side - ABC News

Want to bet if any US provocateurs are there they have been taken behind the bushes and beat up? That would include Maggie.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Too bad none of the EU governments have the balls to protect one of their own but, as usual look to the US to do the heavy lifting.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Too bad none of the EU governments have the balls to protect one of their own but, as usual look to the US to do the heavy lifting.
Well the US will just have to invade all of them then, to not do just that is a sign of great weakness.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
I'll bet there is a scheduled "Snicker Session" in the Kremlin daily. The source of the giggles is either Obunco or Joe making more threats! Vladamir is daily pushing their buttons just to keep them moving.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Russia may as well reclaim Alaska as their's. All that will happen is a warning and stern look in "that" tone of voice.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
The last time i was in Alaska, I had excellent borshch. Are you sure it is not Russian already?

As for a major dustup, that ain't going to happen. No one is nuts.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Be kinda funny if Obama sent the Sixth Fleet into the Black Sea. See how fast the Republicans can go from screaming "weakling!" to screaming "dictator!"

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Halifax, NS & Melbourne, VIC
Blah blah blah....

What's Obama gonna do next? Count to three?

Ok Russia..... 1........ 2....... 2 1/4.......

This whole thing was over the moment Russia moved the first soldier across the border. The rest is just theatrics leading to the inevitable.

The thing is, Russia will use force if so desired. The US only uses force against weaker 3rd world nations they think they can take over.... And they couldn't even do that right.

The US, EU, NATO doesn't have the gusto.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Blah blah blah....

This whole thing was over the moment Russia moved the first soldier across the border. The rest is just theatrics leading to the inevitable.

The thing is, Russia will use force if so desired. The US only uses force against weaker 3rd world nations they think they can take over.... And they couldn't even do that right.

Umm. . . in what way is Ukraine not a "weaker 3rd world nation?"

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
When one lacks the will to act it is best not to lay down red lines and to threaten aggressors with actions which will never be taken. Such threats provoke aggressors, and subsequent failure to act on one's threats emboldens aggressors to commit further acts of aggression.

Obama should stop threatening sanctions against Russia. The EU members won't support major sanctions against Russia because they have too much to lose.

Putin is not simply interested in rolling back American power and influence. Putin is also interested in publicly humiliating Obama because Obama is perceived to be a narcissist who will melt down under pressure.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Blah blah blah....

Whatever you say Prax...

Oooops!

Need a history book still it seems. Does your wife let you read?

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
Umm. . . in what way is Ukraine not a "weaker 3rd world nation?"

So the US should invade Ukraine? You either didn't read my post properly or simply lost me with your reply.

Yeah the US could invade Ukraine, but in most of the West's eyes, they're the good guys.

My point is that the US doesn't currently have the means or the will to take Russia head on. Go after some small 3rd world country like Iraq or Afghanistan? They did before but probably won't again for a long time after those two invasions went so well...... They'd have an even harder time with a nation like Russia.

All the US can do right now is thump their chest and use idle threats of inaction.

The EU wouldn't be able to get one soldier to pick up a pistol without months of debates, bickering, votes and finger pointing over who will send who where and how many.

Ukraine isn't protected by NATO, so that's off the table.

And it's honestly none of Canada's business, so the Canadian government will just get on their soap box once or twice and sign a few things to make it look like they give a damn.

China will just pat Russia on the back for whatever they do.

And Australia is currently just sitting back on the couch eating popcorn & watching the soap opera unfold.

Ukraine will simply and gradually merge back into the Neo Soviet Union, the police and military will continue to defect, more and more land will shift into Russia's hands and the farce of a government that took over will disband and get an E- for a dismal effort.

Whatever you say Prax...

Oooops!

Need a history book still it seems. Does your wife let you read?

Same old troll. Someone doesn't lick the US's anus enough for your liking and here you come along with..... Well.... Nothing.

You and Obama got a lot in common.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So the US should invade Ukraine? You either didn't read my post properly or simply lost me with your reply.
You said Russia attacks whom it pleases, and the U.S. only attacks weaker third world nations. You seemed to be contrasting the two. If you look at Soviet/Russian history since WWII, I think you will be hard pressed to find anything it ever attacked that wasn't either a weaker third world nation or a weaker second world nation.

Yeah the US could invade Ukraine, but in most of the West's eyes, they're the good guys.
Can't think of a reason to. Replacing Thugocracy X with Thugocracy Y doesn't seem to me like the best use of our resources.

My point is that the US doesn't currently have the means or the will to take Russia head on. Go after some small 3rd world country like Iraq or Afghanistan? They did before but probably won't again for a long time after those two invasions went so well...... They'd have an even harder time with a nation like Russia.
You think we had the means to take on Russia head on before 2001?

All the US can do right now is thump their chest and use idle threats of inaction.
If you think military action and nothing are the only two alternatives, you're correct.

The EU wouldn't be able to get one soldier to pick up a pistol without months of debates, bickering, votes and finger pointing over who will send who where and how many.
Probably a good thing, all things considered.

Ukraine isn't protected by NATO, so that's off the table.

And it's honestly none of Canada's business, so the Canadian government will just get on their soap box once or twice and sign a few things to make it look like they give a damn.

China will just pat Russia on the back for whatever they do.

And Australia is currently just sitting back on the couch eating popcorn & watching the soap opera unfold.

Ukraine will simply and gradually merge back into the Neo Soviet Union, the police and military will continue to defect, more and more land will shift into Russia's hands and the farce of a government that took over will disband and get an E- for a dismal effort.
Youi say that like it's a bad thing.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB

Praxius

Mass'Debater
Dec 18, 2007
You said Russia attacks whom it pleases, and the U.S. only attacks weaker third world nations. You seemed to be contrasting the two. If you look at Soviet/Russian history since WWII, I think you will be hard pressed to find anything it ever attacked that wasn't either a weaker third world nation or a weaker second world nation.

Can't think of a reason to. Replacing Thugocracy X with Thugocracy Y doesn't seem to me like the best use of our resources.

You think we had the means to take on Russia head on before 2001?

If you think military action and nothing are the only two alternatives, you're correct.

Probably a good thing, all things considered.

Youi say that like it's a bad thing.

To simplify, if Russia wanted to use force, they would be more inclined to do so then say the US or the EU. They showed this with the Georgian conflict. The thing is, they know they don't have to use force and waste their own energy when the current system is working just fine.

All I'm saying is that Obama / US should just stop with all this huff'a'luff crap, throw their hands in the air and say, "You know what? It ain't our problem, you guys sort this crap out."

Because that's all the US can do.

Well, that's not all the US can do.... They can always make things worse (which would be typical) by slapping a bunch of sanctions on Russia, which in turn makes Russia pull their own sanctions and cut their supplies to the EU and Ukraine, thus they get shafted more than Russia..... And then the US can turn to them and say "You're welcome."