Latest problem with Obamacare. Too many people now have access to healthcare.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
In what is clearly the worst problem yet, millions of the formerly uninsured now have health insurance.

Wave Of Newly Insured Patients Strains Oregon Health Plan

Wave Of Newly Insured Patients Strains Oregon Health Plan : Shots - Health News : NPR

Millions of Americans who didn't have health insurance last year now do because of the Affordable Care Act.

In Lane County, Oregon, Trillium Community Health Plan is struggling to deal with a huge influx of new patients looking for health care. CEO Terry Coplin says the company figured 26,000 people would sign up in the first few years. Instead, about that many signed up right off the bat.

"We weren't expecting to get such a large assignment of patients in the first two months," says Coplin. "These patients who are coming onto the program — many have not seen a physician for years. We're dealing with not just a large number of patients, but also what appears to be a much sicker population of patients."

Cheryl Stumph is one of them. She and her husband, Mike, run Green Streak Automotive, an all-service garage in Veneta, Ore.

"Cars and trucks and tractors and generators and lawn mowers and boats and motor homes, and I think the only thing I haven't done is an airplane, so far," she says.

Last November, Stumph's 27-year-old son had a stroke and died at the wheel of his tow truck. The stroke stemmed from a genetic problem, so Stumph spent the winter worrying about her six other kids.

Kyle Thompson and his family are all going to have health coverage in Oregon, thanks to the state's successful effort to enroll people in Medicaid.
Shots - Health News
Oregon Shines On Medicaid, As Texas Stalls On Sign-Ups
Genetic testing is expensive, and she didn't have health insurance. But now she and her family get Medicaid through Trillium Health.

"That was really relieving," Stumph says. "You know, because we can check on the other kids and maybe not lose them. Oh, my God, we're 50 and aren't there things we're supposed to do at this age of our lives? And, you know, we're doing it, and it's great. It just gives you hope."

She's thrilled to be able to get a mammogram and treatment for a stubborn infection. The kids can get genetic testing. She says her husband has a chronic medical problem that needs attention, too.

Stories like Stumph's are being repeated across Oregon. Trillium Health is overwhelmed.

Trillium's Coplin says the health plan has come up with a four-part plan to deal with this unexpected influx.

First, it will pay bonuses to doctors who accept new patients covered by Trillium.

Second, Trillium is giving Lane County $900,000 to open a new clinic in an existing building. "They have proposed ways that they can get this clinic up and running by mid-year," says Coplin.

Third, Trillium is hiring a consultant to see if existing clinics can increase efficiency, for example, by changing who fills out forms. "Having physicians do clerical work is really a waste of valuable resources," Coplin says.

And finally, Trillium is offering $500,000 to any clinic or group of physicians willing to expand their practice to take on another 5,000 adult patients.

Meanwhile, Trillium is making some short-term fixes to help new enrollees find a doctor in the area.

Coplin says if people suffer serious accidents, they can go to the emergency room. If the injuries are less serious, they can go to urgent care.

But someone suffering a minor complaint can fall through the cracks.

Lane County Public Health Officer Dr. Patrick Luedtke thinks Trillium's plans will probably work, but he's anxious about those cracks.

"We have a shrinking pool of providers, and we have a growing need, in an aging population, for health care," he said. "So we need to get creative, and that's what we're doing."

Stumph is pleased to be getting treatment, but there have been hitches. "It took a month, I think, to get the first appointment for my husband," she says.

They've been to several appointments and the doctor told Cheryl she'd have to give up smoking, get a little more exercise and follow all the usual doctor recommendations. She says she's working on it.

This story is part of a partnership with NPR, Oregon Public Broadcasting and Kaiser Health News.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
NPR ! The mouth piece of the US Libs!

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Like it or not, Obamers is going to be remembered for this move as his crowning achievement.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
of course they have. :lol:

Twitter probably shouldn't be your primary source for information, much less a tweet from Ann Coulter.

The actual article is here: http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR600/RR656/RAND_RR656.pdf

It states that 9.3 million more people had health insurance in March 2014 than in September 2013.

The majority of that was through people gaining health coverage at work, and another big chunk was through more people being covered by medicaid, but that was what the Affordable Care Act was supposed to do.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Twitter probably shouldn't be your primary source for information, much less a tweet from Ann Coulter.

The actual article is here: http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/research_reports/RR600/RR656/RAND_RR656.pdf

It states that 9.3 million more people had health insurance in March 2014 than in September 2013.

The majority of that was through people gaining health coverage at work, and another big chunk was through more people being covered by medicaid, but that was what the Affordable Care Act was supposed to do.

Of course such a tard like you would never dream of checking on how they came about those ridiculous numbers. You just want to swallow more and more! HO!

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Well it depends on who you ask.

Educated people look at this more favourably.

There is a vast difference between being educated and having credentials. Most educated people don't understand the laws of economics and unintended consequences.

...Wave Of Newly Insured Patients Strains Oregon Health Plan...

I have the utmost respect for you. So let me ask you a question. What happens when a finite resource like quality health care is overwhelmed by new demand?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm getting butthurt by the tenor of this thread. I need some of Dr. TB's famous butthurt cream.
I don't know, he doesn't swing one way or the other, only what is logical at the moment...that is contrary to human nature for most.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
The Rand "survey" that is being shredded by everyone? Why would I read that BS. Even Rand admits there is a huge margin of error.

But go ahead and swallow it all... rub it all over.

Lol, why are you complaining about this to me and not Locust, who actually brought this article up in the first place? Do you have a thing for me?

If you can find a better report on this, I would genuinely be interested in seeing what it says. We could go with the White House Numbers if you want, but they are much higher, so I don't know if that would please you.