Mozilla CEO Resigns Amid Controversy Over Stance Against Gay Marriage

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich Resigns Over Stance Against Gay Marriage - TIME

Brendan Eich, who became the company's chief executive less than two weeks ago, faced a firestorm over his support for California's Proposition 8, the 2008 law which banned gay marriage in the state

The CEO of Mozilla, the company behind the popular Firefox web browser, has resigned following controversy over his stance against gay marriage. Brendan Eich, a co-founder of the organization who was tapped to be chief officer less than two weeks ago, has faced intense criticism for his $1,000 donation to support Proposition 8, a 2008 California law that banned same-sex marriages.

“Mozilla prides itself on being held to a different standard and, this past week, we didn’t live up to it,” Mitchell Baker, Mozilla’s executive chairwoman, wrote in a blog post. “We didn’t move fast enough to engage with people once the controversy. We’re sorry. We must do better.”

Following the selection of Eich as CEO, multiple Mozilla employees publicly criticized the choice because of his support of Proposition 8. Half of Mozilla’s board of directors resigned last week, though the company has said their departures were not related to Elch’s donation.

In her blog post, Baker said the company had not yet decided on a new CEO. She also stressed that Mozilla supports equality for all regardless of race, gender or sexual orientation. “While painful, the events of the last week show exactly why we need the web,” she wrote. “So all of us can engage freely in the tough conversations we need to make the world better.”

This is some pretty nutso stuff. I wholeheartedly believe that gay people should be able to marry, but I don't think anyone who has every thought otherwise should be written off forever.

This was a cause that happened to be pretty widely popular in California at the time(they did win after all), so I don't think it is necessarily productive to use it as a list of people who are forever and always enemies of equality.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Oh comrades - I fear for our progressive friends at Mozilla! They forced their CEO, Brendan Eich (the creator of JavaScript and a co-founder of Mozilla.org) to resign, because he gave $1000.00 to Prop 8 (the Support Traditional Marriage bill) in California several years ago :O and, well, tolerance!

Twitter is aflame with people uninstalling Firefox and going with alternative browsers, like Pale Moon- because Hate - which, of course, I, myself could never recommend! OMG, it runs on the same Gecko engine as Firefox, and if you use the Migrate tool it takes only seconds to copy your Firefox bookmarks and entire profile!

It's a dark day for the Left, comrades. Ironically, many of the haters on Twitter are gay people themselves, claiming that they like freedom more than the fake tolerance shown by Mozilla! - See more at: Buh Bye, Firefox!

Buh Bye, Firefox!

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich Resigns Over Stance Against Gay Marriage - TIME

This is some pretty nutso stuff. I wholeheartedly believe that gay people should be able to marry, but I don't think anyone who has every thought otherwise should be written off forever.

This was a cause that happened to be pretty widely popular in California at the time(they did win after all), so I don't think it is necessarily productive to use it as a list of people who are forever and always enemies of equality.

Equality is the transhuman ideal and tolll of the NWO to help create two classes. The middle must go. Slaves are equal. Cheerful sh it eh.

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
I guess you have to have the right opinions to be CEO.

I use Google Chrome regardless.

Your opinions definitely matter as they relate to your role in the company. As CEO, you are pretty much always a representative of the company, so it would be perfectly legitimate for them to be concerned about any causes that he was openly supporting or opposing while CEO.

But this was a private donation made 6 years before he was chosen as CEO. There seems to be no indication that he was ever publicly advocating against gay marriage in any forum, much less in any way relating to Mozilla.

It just seems so crazy to reduce someone to one choice that has nothing to do with his work at the company.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Once you assume the CEO of a company or the President of an organization you become the
public face of the group and the voice of direction. And no, while you hold the position you don't
just say what ever you please as you are the person the public views as in charge.
I am the President of the BC Fruit Growers Association and I deal with all levels of government,
the general public, the media and the members of the farm community as well as BCFGA
members. No I am not going to pander to one against another but I am going to be responsible
enough to keep in mind what my role is and how I can do the best job. I am there to benefit the
Association not go about spouting off my own view all the time.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Ok boys and girls, have a gander:

Barack Obama on Gay Marriage - YouTube

Where was that criticism when the mainstream media was carrying Obama on their shoulders on his way to the White House in 2008?

Now,

‘Should he be impeached?’ A reminder about who had same definition of marriage as ex-Mozilla CEO

News that, in 2008, former Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich donated $1,000 to the effort to pass California’s Proposition 8 in support of traditional marriage has culminated in Eich being forced to resign as head of the company. Some are even claiming that Eich’s position on the issue means he’s not fit to run a large organization.

Can we retroactively apply the same “rules” the Left is demanding? Where was this kind of outrage a mere few years ago? Those are among the questions being asked.

President Obama didn’t change his position on the issue of gay marriage until the spring of 2012, but we don’t recall the Left insisting that disqualified him from the presidency.

Holding a pro traditional marriage opinion while running a tech company though is apparently a total disqualifier.

read the whole thing with the prog tweets too:

‘Should he be impeached?’ A reminder about who had same definition of marriage as ex-Mozilla CEO | Twitchy

cram it mozilla. the board should be fired.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Was it official company policy for someone not to hold this prejudice?

Should an organization have the freedom to hire the people they feel are appropriate and say fukk off to the rest?

And he chose to leave didn't he?

He could have stayed and just apologized.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Was it official company policy for someone not to hold this prejudice?
Doesn't matter. It is a private company with employment at will, terminable by either party for any legal reason.

Should an organization have the freedom to hire the people they feel are appropriate and say fukk off to the rest?
Should they? Philosophical question. Do they? Yes, provided they are not discriminating against a suspect class.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Why is this an Obama thread now?
lmao.....because he is the scourge of the world every thing that currently happens is his fault.. and every chance to attack him must be taken...doncha know... it's pay back for the all comments made about the moron who came before him...it's entertaining no?

to see how he lives in the minds of the right...

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Well it sure isn't because the blatant hypocrisy shown by the other mozilla douchebags financially supporting their candidate who (then anyway, until 2012) thinks different than they do today. Or at least these bozos say they think different. You don't think they might just be saying that for attention, or fear of squeaky wheels and stuff do you?

I don't care about barry's failures in this thread but it sure ties in with the reason buddy was forced out now don't it. :lol:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Once you assume the CEO of a company or the President of an organization you become the
public face of the group and the voice of direction. And no, while you hold the position you don't
just say what ever you please as you are the person the public views as in charge.
I am the President of the BC Fruit Growers Association and I deal with all levels of government,
the general public, the media and the members of the farm community as well as BCFGA
members. No I am not going to pander to one against another but I am going to be responsible
enough to keep in mind what my role is and how I can do the best job. I am there to benefit the
Association not go about spouting off my own view all the time.
I guess you never read the article .It stated that he donated money to the cause , that he never campaigned for or against it and that he treated all employees respectfully and equally .

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I guess you never read the article .It stated that he donated money to the cause , that he never campaigned for or against it and that he treated all employees respectfully and equally .

Not enough. Conformity and submission to Progressive Ideals is required. Either that or complete silence.

As for Brandon... I am quite sure he did alright with the severance package. I would bet they gave him a sweet golden parachute so this goes away quietly.