Tens of Thousands Sign Petition to Reunite Alaska With Russia

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Tens of Thousands Sign Petition to Reunite Alaska With Russia

MOSCOW, March 25 (RIA Novosti) - Over 22,000 people have signed a petition calling for the secession of Alaska from the United States to seek reunification with Russia.

The petition, available on the White House website, opened on March 21. If the motion attracts 100,000 signatures within a month, the Obama administration is obliged to respond according to its guidelines.
The petition, entitled "Alaska Back to Russia," encourages a vote on secession, citing historic travels of Russian explorers to Alaska, as far back as the crossing of native Siberians across the Bering land bridge over 10 thousand years ago.

The document tracks the settlement of the region by Russians, including Aleuts colonizing the Aleutian Archipelago, and the expedition of famed explorer Mikhail Gvozdez who first sited Alaska in 1732.
Alaska was a Russian colony until 1867 when Russian Emperor Alexander II sold it to the US for $7.2 million -$120 million in today's money after being adjusted for inflation.

In November 2012, a similar petition sought Texas' withdrawal from the US following the state's dissatisfaction with federal economic policy.

Signatories of that petition called for Texas to declare independence in order to maintain a balanced budget and "to protect its citizens' standard of living."

Similar motions were filed by residents of several other American states, including Tennessee, Louisiana, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Alabama and Georgia.

Yet only Texas garnered enough signatures - over 125,000 - to be reviewed by the Obama administration, which turned the petition down saying that while "no one disputes that our country faces big challenges," Americans needed to work together "to find the best way to move forward."

Despite the value of healthy debate, "we don't let that debate tear us apart," the White House said.

source: Tens of Thousands Sign Petition to Reunite Alaska With Russia | World | RIA Novosti

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I think Canada should buy the place. I offer myself as the real estate agent, with a much reduced fees.
TC, I will need a lawyer, ya in?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
This is the kind of nonsense that ultimately chews up time and resources and is
designed to accomplish nothing. And Americans don't know why they are in such
a mess. Its not Obama, the House or the Senate its the citizens and yes they
should kick Texas out more nonsense to chew on

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
I think Canada should buy the place. I offer myself as the real estate agent, with a much reduced fees.
TC, I will need a lawyer, ya in?

In reality Alaska belongs to Canada. it never belonged to Russia. It was given to HBC by the king who got it from a chief in a deal that included everything west of where they were standing.
Russia can have Paulin though.

It would probably be best for the USA if California were seceded to Mexico.

With their debt of course.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
I wonder...do the people that are signing this petition (and not the ones signing it just to be a-holes, but the ones that truly believe in it) realize what they'd be getting themselves into if they "reunited" with Russia? Hope they enjoyed the democracy that they had, as they certainly wouldn't have any of that with their new country.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
and of course there would be another war, what a nice thought, its been so long since the last few.

alaska isn't going anywhere, it is a silly idea that has no validity.

alaska's owner will have a say, NO NO NO NO, and the bomb factory will start up again, the tank factory,
the fighter jet factory, the drone factory, out will come the yellow ribbins, and here we go again.

and of course there would be another war, what a nice thought, its been so long since the last few.

alaska isn't going anywhere, it is a silly idea that has no validity.

alaska's owner will have a say, NO NO NO NO, and the bomb factory will start up again, the tank factory,
the fighter jet factory, the drone factory, out will come the yellow ribbins, and here we go again.

sarah will be long gone, settling in with the gun totin mamas she has pajamas parties with, in
texas somewhere.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
This is the kind of nonsense that ultimately chews up time and resources and is
designed to accomplish nothing. And Americans don't know why they are in such
a mess. Its not Obama, the House or the Senate its the citizens and yes they
should kick Texas out more nonsense to chew on

You bet! Alaska residents are the only ones who should have a say and the rest should mind their own friggin' business!