U.S. Climate change education agenda gaining traction


mentalfloss
#1
Obama unleashing power of data on climate change

WASHINGTON (AP) - The Obama administration hopes to fight global warming with the geeky power of numbers, maps and even gaming-type simulations.

The White House on Wednesday announced an initiative to provide private companies and local governments better access to already public climate data. The idea is that with that localized data they can help the public understand the risks they face, especially in coastal areas where flooding is a big issue.

The government also is working with several high-tech companies, such as Google, Microsoft and Intel, to come up with tools to make communities more resilient in dealing with weather extremes, such as flooding, heat waves and drought. They include computer simulations for people to use and see what would happen with rising seas and other warming scenarios. Also, companies will hold brainstorming sessions with computer programmers aimed at designing new apps on disaster risk.

NASA and the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration will try get people to create simulations to understand flooding risks in an upcoming coastal flooding challenge. One effort would include putting sensors on Philadelphia city buses to collect data to track the effect of climate change.

In its second term, the administration has made more of an effort to connect global warming to its effect on people, especially extreme weather and disasters. White House advisers John Podesta and John Holdren in a blog said the idea is to create easy-to-use tools for the average person to prepare people to be more resilient to the harms of climate change.

Climate scientist Chris Field of the Carnegie Institution for Science, who later this month will be the chief author of a massive United Nations affiliated report on the impacts of global warming, hailed the efforts.

“It is especially important for people, communities and firms to understand the features of their environment and their operations that create climate risk,” Field said in an email. “We need a serious, sustained conversation about climate change and dealing with it in a responsible manner.”

The federal government plans a clearinghouse website for climate data at http://climate.data.gov

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...limate-change/


White House to Launch Interactive Website on Climate Change

The Obama administration is launching a new online effort to warn the public about the dangers of climate change.

The White House is unveiling a new website Wednesday, climate.data.gov, that will let citizens, businesses and local governments take the latest scientific data and see how their communities will be affected by rising seas, heat waves and drought.

The data used by the website will be collected from the space agency NASA, the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration and other federal government agencies.

The website is part of U.S. President Barack Obama's efforts to boost public support for his initiative to fight climate change.

White House to Launch Interactive Website on Climate Change
 
Colpy
Conservative
+1
#2
I wonder if that data includes the fact that the earth has NOT warmed significantly in SEVENTEEN YEARS.

That the ice caps GREW by 29% this year.

That the vast majority of the money that idiot Obama threw towards green technology has achieved absolutely NOTHING.

Is the idiot trying to bankrupt the nation??

Or is he really that stupid??
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#3
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I wonder if that data includes the fact that the earth has NOT warmed significantly in SEVENTEEN YEARS.

It includes global average temperature by year.

Quote:

That the ice caps GREW by 29% this year.

It includes arctic sea ice by year since 1980.

Quote:

That the vast majority of the money that idiot Obama threw towards green technology has achieved absolutely NOTHING.

That's not data, that's political opinion.

Quote:

Is the idiot trying to bankrupt the nation??

That's not data, that's political opinion disguised as a question.

Quote:

Or is he really that stupid??

Ditto.
 
captain morgan
Bloc Québécois
+1
#4
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

That the vast majority of the money that idiot Obama threw towards green technology has achieved absolutely NOTHING.

That is not true. The hundreds of millions that went into Solyndra provided a very lavish lifestyle and retirement fund for the senior guys that supported the Obama campaign.

That is something
 
Dixie Cup
Libertarian
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post

I wonder if that data includes the fact that the earth has NOT warmed significantly in SEVENTEEN YEARS.

That the ice caps GREW by 29% this year.

That the vast majority of the money that idiot Obama threw towards green technology has achieved absolutely NOTHING.

Is the idiot trying to bankrupt the nation??

Or is he really that stupid??



I think maybe its both of the latter!
 
mentalfloss
#6
Educating people on climate change?

What preposterous nonsense.
 
petros
+3
#7  Top Rated Post
Propaganda is now educational information?

Modern day Ring Around the Rosie for the kids and those who no longer mature.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#8
I wonder if anybody besides me has actually looked at the website.

Nah, really I don't. Pretty clear.
 
Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
+1
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by ColpyView Post


That the ice caps GREW by 29% this year.

Grew by 29% over what? Which ice caps? Northern sea ice has been declining quite significanctly, even over the last 17 years. South pole ice has been growing slightly. Arctic sea ice:

 
petros
#10
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

I wonder if anybody besides me has actually looked at the website.

Nah, really I don't. Pretty clear.

I got as far as "Superstorm" Sandy. Far enough to avoid the renaming of the 65million year old phenomenon formerly known as an Arctic Low and other weather events.

Quote: Originally Posted by ZipperfishView Post

Arctic sea ice:

How come it doesn't go back further than the late 1970s?
Last edited by petros; Mar 19th, 2014 at 09:54 AM..
 
Locutus
#11
brain salad surgery
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#12
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

The White House on Wednesday announced an initiative to provide private companies and local governments better access to already public climate data.

This implies there is secret climate data.
 
mentalfloss
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

This implies there is secret climate data.

How?
 
Zipperfish
No Party Affiliation
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

I got as far as "Superstorm" Sandy. Far enough to avoid the renaming of the 65million year old phenomenon formerly known as an Arctic Low and other weather events.


How come it doesn't go back further than the late 1970s?

I dunno. Go ask 'em. nsidc.
 
IdRatherBeSkiing
+1
#15
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

How?

"better access to already public climate data"

The implication is there is climate data that is not already public.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Educating people on climate change?

What preposterous nonsense.

I am sure they will leave out that the climate has been in constant change since the earth's creation.
 
mentalfloss
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by IdRatherBeSkiingView Post

"better access to already public climate data"

The implication is there is climate data that is not already public.

I don't see how you inferred that if it already says the exact opposite.

Better access doesn't mean it's hidden.

It could be mean that articles are currently accessible through some paywall or that the same info. could now be included on a company's vpn. Or it could just mean that the convenience of having a central hub for all of this information strengthens accessibility.
 
EagleSmack
+1
#18
Superstorm Sandy... propaganda.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
+1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by petrosView Post

Propaganda is now educational information?

Modern day Ring Around the Rosie for the kids and those who no longer mature.

What about the six million dead polar bears. The CO2 producing NAZI'S must be stopped.
 
mentalfloss
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

I am sure they will leave out that the climate has been in constant change since the earth's creation.

I doubt it.

Part of the whole climate change deal is contrasting the effects of natural factors with human activity.
 
EagleSmack
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

I doubt it.

Part of the whole climate change deal is contrasting the effects of natural factors with human activity.

Will they say there will be less jobs, additional taxes, and that their money will be taken from them to be given to 3rd world juntas for weapons and bank accounts in Switzerland?
 
darkbeaver
Republican
+2
#22
Part of the whole climate change deal is not accurately contrasting the effect of natural factors with human activity. A simple contrast of the total weight of humans against the total weight of the planet easily highlights the futility and stupidity of blameing humans for natural climate deviations.
 
mentalfloss
#23
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Will they say there will be less jobs, additional taxes, and that their money will be taken from them to be given to 3rd world juntas for weapons and bank accounts in Switzerland?

Hoooooo noes.
 
EagleSmack
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by mentalflossView Post

Hoooooo noes.

Of course not.
 
mentalfloss
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by EagleSmackView Post

Of course not.

https://www.data.gov/climate/
 
EagleSmack
+1
#26
 
petros
+1
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

What about the six million dead polar bears. The CO2 producing NAZI'S must be stopped.

Blind bipolar bears.
 

Similar Threads

69
Climate Change and the American Political Agenda
by mentalfloss | Jul 25th, 2012
0
29
Climate Change
by Gonzo | Oct 24th, 2005
no new posts