E-cigarettes face restrictions as cities update smoking ordinances

Locutus
Electronic cigarettes, touted as a smokeless alternative to regular cigarettes, are coming under increased scrutiny as cities and counties consider applying the same restrictions to e-cigarettes as to their tobacco counterparts.

At a workshop last week, the Rancho Cordova City Council was unanimous in directing staff members to treat e-cigarettes like regular cigarettes as they draft amendments to city code sections governing smoking.

more big e-government

E-cigarettes face restrictions as cities update smoking ordinances - Our Region - The Sacramento Bee

Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
lone wolf
Free Thinker
E-cigs are just as much a trigger to a born-again-non-smoker as the real thing

Liberalman
+1
When are they going to ban car exhaust and factory smoke?

Locutus
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

They had to take care of VOC's first.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
+1
Tell me that bus with the two-and-a-half inch tailpipe isn't going to mess with my breathing space....

Goober
Free Thinker
+1
I started using an E Cigarette, has helped cut down my smoking of cigarettes.
50 to 10 chemicals in an E Cigarette or 4000 to 5000 chemicals in tobacco.
Pick your poison.

Locutus
+8
#7  Top Rated Post
I want those too-much perfume/bodyspray douchebags banned too.

Liberalman
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by lone wolfView Post

Tell me that bus with the two-and-a-half inch tailpipe isn't going to mess with my breathing space....

Walking to the store is healthy unless you are on a main street where hundreds of cars pass by you producing a cloud of car exhaust that you are breathing in which cancels out the healthy walk

mentalfloss
Cigarette companies are the obvious villain in this war.

darkbeaver
Republican
+1
Nic is my dearest friend.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by LocutusView Post

fuking -A it's enough to choke ya to death

DaSleeper
+1

Yep....Sometimes at the grocery store or the mall some even manage to gag my aging and deteriorating olfactory nerves......

BornRuff
+1
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

You can't release car exhaust or factory smoke in a restaurant or office either.

Electronic cigarettes, touted as a smokeless alternative to regular cigarettes, are coming under increased scrutiny as cities and counties consider applying the same restrictions to e-cigarettes as to their tobacco counterparts.

At a workshop last week, the Rancho Cordova City Council was unanimous in directing staff members to treat e-cigarettes like regular cigarettes as they draft amendments to city code sections governing smoking.

more big e-government

E-cigarettes face restrictions as cities update smoking ordinances - Our Region - The Sacramento Bee

If what they say is true, and the vapor does contain carcinogens and other chemicals, then why should they be treated differently than cigarettes? I totally respect your right to do what you want to your body, but I expect you to respect my right to the same thing as well.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Nic is my dearest friend.

Been one of mine too.... I'm considering another dissolution of the friendship soon - now that the dog has managed to walk much weight from this frame. If it weren't for cheap smokes on rez....

There's excuse #657

Sal
No Party Affiliation
I was a pack and a half a day gal.

Took Zyban for 3 weeks and never went back.

Still trying to convince myself that I was not one of the 1%ers that are not physically addicted.

I still miss it but hardly anyone in my world smokes any more. I was one of the final hold-outs.

I was all excited for a bit when the e-smokes appeared but thought it sounded too good to be true and of course it was.

55Mercury
I demand a ban on farting and jail terms for repeat offenders!

DaSleeper
+2
Quote: Originally Posted by SalView Post

Still trying to convince myself that I was not one of the 1%ers that are not physically addicted.

I still miss it but hardly anyone in my world smokes any more. I was one of the final hold-outs.

I was all excited for a bit when the e-smokes appeared but thought it sounded too good to be true and of course it was.

If you quit that fast, you probably are one of those that had a physical habit, not an addiction.......
I'm an ex-smoker myself, but what I can't stand are the ex-smokers that are like religious converts and want to "force" everyone else to stop.
If there are a couple of smokers on the street, I will not make a detour to avoid them, or look down at them.....While a direct whiff of smoke might actually make me cough, I'm not adverse to the distant odour, that sometimes brings back pleasant memories of a leisurely smoke by a campfire while hunting in the fall..................

Goober
Free Thinker
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

If you quit that fast, you probably are one of those that had a physical habit, not an addiction.......
I'm an ex-smoker myself, but what I can't stand are the ex-smokers that are like religious converts and want to "force" everyone else to stop.
If there are a couple of smokers on the street, I will not make a detour to avoid them, or look down at them.....While a direct whiff of smoke might actually make me cough, I'm not adverse to the distant odour, that sometimes brings back pleasant memories of a leisurely smoke by a campfire while hunting in the fall..................

I have tried everything. Reason I am trying the e cigs.

Sal
No Party Affiliation

I think it is true that I was one of the small percentage not physically addicted...it was easy for me to quit a pack and a half a day habit

yes I was a die hard, I never even seriously considered quitting, ever. Had zero intention. My doctor was super late one day so while I was waiting for him I was reading brochures on quitting smoking aids.

Out of curiosity when I went in I asked him which aid he would recommend for me. He actually laughed. "No aid other than drugs will help you. Your type of addiction is equivalent to a heroin addict." Then he whipped out a script pad and wrote me a perscription. I remember filling it and thinking hm, let's try these things just for a lark.

I used the drugs for a week while smoking and then quit. I took the pills for two weeks after but they were escalating my anxiety to a point where I thought I couldn't breathe. Actually later when friends quit not using the drug they went through a period of time where they thought they couldn't breathe too so I don't know if it was actually the pills .

A year later on my quit anniversary I shared a puff of my girlfriends but I didn't like it any more.

Quote:

yeah born again non smokers
Quote:

If there are a couple of smokers on the street, I will not make a detour to avoid them, or look down at them.....While a direct whiff of smoke might actually make me cough, I'm not adverse to the distant odour, that sometimes brings back pleasant memories of a leisurely smoke by a campfire while hunting in the fall.................

oh for sure, I loooove the smell of people smoking when passing them by in the street. I don't like the stink of stale tobacco smoke on clothing though. That is wicked.

I was kind of hoping the electronic would pan out and be given the green light.

grumpydigger
Pretty soon they'll try to ban someone holding a pen or pencil in their mouth because it is a cigarette substitute.

More laws more rules

Sal
No Party Affiliation
do they even make candy cigarettes any more...probably not huh?

Goober
Free Thinker

do they even make candy cigarettes any more...probably not huh?

I would say yes- They could lead to kids smoking -Fk me. Just like paying certain games that children play are bad emotionally.

Sal
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by GooberView Post

I would say yes- They could lead to kids smoking -Fk me. Just like paying certain games that children play are bad emotionally.

for a while they banned smoking from movies and tv shows but.....theeeeeeeeeere back folks.

there was an anti-smoking commercial that always made me light up...I think it was for gum, they show a person outside by themselves taking a deep drag on a cigarette while the rest all popped gum...it always made me think; yup time for a cigarette

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by grumpydiggerView Post

Pretty soon they'll try to ban someone holding a pen or pencil in their mouth because it is a cigarette substitute.

More laws more rules

They already ban pointing your finger and c*cking your thumb in school...so your point is not so far fetched....

Tecumsehsbones

They already ban pointing your finger and c*cking your thumb in school...so your point is not so far fetched....

Well, that's only fair, seeing as how they banned fingering your point and thumbing your c*ck years ago.

lone wolf
Free Thinker
Pointing with two fingers used to be called non-threatening. Now it's an Auto

Quote: Originally Posted by 55MercuryView Post

I demand a ban on farting and jail terms for repeat offenders!

'ere now.... Holding it in results in methane explosion.

Good fart is good thing - especially that first one vertical when butt says "good morning" to body

#juan
No Party Affiliation
+1

So was I. I never took Zyban but quit about 30 times.....Once I quit for almost two months........I went out for a drink with some friends, at least half of whom smoked.......... After a few beers I thought.......one won't hurt........I was back to over a pack a day very quickly.
I finally quit for good about thirty years ago. I quit cold turkey.......I think I wanted to quit. Never started again.

DaSleeper
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Well, that's only fair, seeing as how they banned fingering your point and thumbing your c*ck years ago.

How about you pulling my finger would be banned too....

Sal
No Party Affiliation
Quote: Originally Posted by #juanView Post

So was I. I never took Zyban but quit about 30 times.....Once I quit for almost two months........I went out for a drink with some friends, at least half of whom smoked.......... After a few beers I thought.......one won't hurt........I was back to over a pack a day very quickly.
I finally quit for good about thirty years ago. I quit cold turkey.......I think I wanted to quit. Never started again.

I believed I was a lifer and had no intention of trying to quit. No one was more surprised than I. My friends who still smoked back then were shocked because I was the "heavy" compared to them.

If I could have smoked the way they did (six to 8 a day) I likely would never have quit but my habit just kept increasing. I would smoke from the time I got out of the shower in the morning until I went to bed at night. If I woke up, I got up for a cigarette.

I was also shocked at how fast my lungs pinked up. Apparently though they are larger than they should be. That may cause problems down the road.