Detroit Police Chief Goes All Common Sense on Guns

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Puts Thugs on Notice

Detroit Police Chief James Craig shared plenty of common sense wisdom on guns in a recent interview with WDIV-TV. Even though plenty of anti-gun city officials are on record urging residents to call the police rather than use a firearm, Craig knows that is not always a viable option.

Craig also said he wants criminals in Detroit to know they shouldn’t just be afraid of the police — they should also be afraid of responsible gun owners who are prepared to defend themselves and their homes.

“A lot of good Detroiters are fed up,” Craig said. “The message should be that, you know, people are going to protect themselves.”

more

Watch: Detroit Police Chief Goes All Common Sense on Guns, Puts Thugs on Notice | TheBlaze.com

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You know, in principle, I have absolutely no issue with someone defending their life when they are threatened. And I completely recognize that I myself would definitely need some kind of weapon (blunt instrument, knife, gun whatever) if I ever had a direct confrontation with a male. Simply speaking, a normal healthy male would be too physically powerful for me to fend off otherwise. So, when I think of someone like myself owning a firearm for protection, I really have no qualms.

But then again, I'm comfortable with my own common sense and reactions in a tense situation. I tend not to panic or fall apart in the moment, I don't really give in to fear. (Not on the spot anyway, if I think about things too long, then I get fearful.)

The part where I hesitate, that gives me pause, whenever the topic of citizens and guns comes up is not that I fear the intelligent, law abiding, common sense people in society. I fear, and fear for, the jittery, fearful, prone to panic individuals out there.

I just really, really wish there was some kind of way, some kind of assurance, that training citizens would consistently produce better weapons handlers. Because if it did, then that's the condition or requirement I think we'd need to impose as mandatory, by law. Not registries, not licensing, not banning. And I'd really like to see law enforcement and the pro-gun lobby really encourage proper training.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You know, in principle, I have absolutely no issue with someone defending their life when they are threatened. And I completely recognize that I myself would definitely need some kind of weapon (blunt instrument, knife, gun whatever) if I ever had a direct confrontation with a male. Simply speaking, a normal healthy male would be too physically powerful for me to fend off otherwise. So, when I think of someone like myself owning a firearm for protection, I really have no qualms.

But then again, I'm comfortable with my own common sense and reactions in a tense situation. I tend not to panic or fall apart in the moment, I don't really give in to fear. (Not on the spot anyway, if I think about things too long, then I get fearful.)

The part where I hesitate, that gives me pause, whenever the topic of citizens and guns comes up is not that I fear the intelligent, law abiding, common sense people in society. I fear, and fear for, the jittery, fearful, prone to panic individuals out there.

I just really, really wish there was some kind of way, some kind of assurance, that training citizens would consistently produce better weapons handlers. Because if it did, then that's the condition or requirement I think we'd need to impose as mandatory, by law. Not registries, not licensing, not banning. And I'd really like to see law enforcement and the pro-gun lobby really encourage proper training.
I agree with your post.

Also the average IQ is not that high, add to that a tense situation, frankly the ability is just not there.
Further add to that, a person who thinks they can handle it, and give them a John Wayne mentality and the attitude of "I have the right".
It's a recipe for disaster.

And where are these guns going to be stored because by the time an individual figures out someone is breaking into their home, gets the key, unlocks the cabinet and loads the gun 8O is the criminal on hold for that time?

It just doesn't make sense.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
I agree with your post.

Also the average IQ is not that high, add to that a tense situation, frankly the ability is just not there.
Further add to that, a person who thinks they can handle it, and give them a John Wayne mentality and the attitude of "I have the right".
It's a recipe for disaster.

And where are these guns going to be stored because by the time an individual figures out someone is breaking into their home, gets the key, unlocks the cabinet and loads the gun 8O is the criminal on hold for that time?

It just doesn't make sense.

I'm neither pro nor anti gun because I don't think a tool, which is essentially what a gun is, is the problem. It's all operator error.

If we think of a gun similar to a car for example, we do not have people using cars without requiring them to learn how to operate them to a relatively safe standard. So why would we do that with fire arms?

And yes I do know that there are horrid drivers out there who risk life and limb (theirs and ours) on a daily basis, but can you imagine how much worse it might be if we did not require any kind of training at all?

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I'm neither pro nor anti gun because I don't think a tool, which is essentially what a gun is, is the problem. It's all operator error.

If we think of a gun similar to a car for example, we do not have people using cars without requiring them to learn how to operate them to a relatively safe standard. So why would we do that with fire arms?

And yes I do know that there are horrid drivers out there who risk life and limb (theirs and ours) on a daily basis, but can you imagine how much worse it might be if we did not require any kind of training at all?
It can't happen.

Even the use of the statement they use to justify owning a gun;"guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a wonderful demonstration of just who should not be allowed to have a gun. That's the mentality of the average person. I wouldn't trust the average person to look after my cat let alone have a gun in their home.

I'm jaded about guns now...most people are too stupid, too emotional to own guns.

Before I was all about looking up stats for the number of people who are killed accidentally because of poor storage and kids who get their hands on them and accidentally kill their sibling and still people argue that it doesn't happen or throw other stats to counter that...still the kid is dead...screw the stats, the kid is not coming back.

Here's another argument that is stupid: criminals don't give up their guns. :roll: yeah okay

Now i just think; stay the fuk away from me with your guns, and arm yourself to the teeth. I don't care as long as you don't live in my neighbourhood, preferably not even my country. Wear 'em on your hip just stay away from me.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
It can't happen.

Even the use of the statement they use to justify owning a gun;"guns don't kill people, people kill people" is a wonderful demonstration of just who should not be allowed to have a gun. That's the mentality of the average person. I wouldn't trust the average person to look after my cat let alone have a gun in their home.

I'm jaded about guns now...most people are too stupid, too emotional to own guns.

Before I was all about looking up stats for the number of people who are killed accidentally because of poor storage and kids who get their hands on them and accidentally kill their sibling and still people argue that it doesn't happen or throw other stats to counter that...still the kid is dead...screw the stats, the kid is not coming back.

Here's another argument that is stupid: criminals don't give up their guns. :roll: yeah okay

Now i just think; stay the fuk away from me with your guns, and arm yourself to the teeth. I don't care as long as you don't live in my neighbourhood, preferably not even my country. Wear 'em on your hip just stay away from me.
And the people that own guns are all emotional .........

BornRuff

Time Out
Nov 17, 2013
One problem I have with this kind of argument is that in most cases, the channels that legal gun owners are using to purchase guns to protect themselves from criminals are the same channels that are arming the criminals that these people are afraid of.

It isn't like most criminals in the US are smuggling guns in from some corrupt country. Most of the guns used in crimes were purchased from legal sources originally. Legally purchased guns get stolen, friends complete "straw purchases" for others who can't legally buy guns, guns are purchased at gun shows or through private sales, and some licensed dealers are just simply not following the rules.

Loser gun laws seem to create an arms race. That can result in a tense peace for a certain amount of time, but it also allows one person making one bad decision to have huge negative consequences. With so many people out there, there are lots of chances for people to make bad decisions.