School OK banning American flag T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
SAN FRANCISCO — Officials at a Northern California high school acted appropriately when they ordered students wearing American flag T-shirts to turn the garments inside out during the Mexican independence celebration Cinco de Mayo, a federal appeals court ruled Thursday.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said the officials’ concerns of racial violence outweighed students’ freedom of expression rights. Administrators feared the American-flag shirts would enflame the passions of Latino students celebrating the Mexican holiday. Live Oak High School, in the San Jose suburb of Morgan Hill, had a history of problems between white and Latino students on that day.

The unanimous three-judge panel said past problems gave school officials sufficient and justifiable reasons for their actions. The court said schools have wide latitude in curbing certain civil rights to ensure campus safety.

more

Court: School OK banning American flag T-shirts on Cinco de Mayo - Washington Times

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
I guess they think that Mexicans have no self control or ability to reason. How prejudicial.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mail the American kids some Canadian themed shirts. Then what will the poor beaners do?

I'll even buy them. Dollarama should be stocking up for Canada Day and Halloween by now.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Mail the American kids some Canadian themed shirts. Then what will the poor beaners do?

I'll even buy them. Dollarama should be stocking up for Canada Day and Halloween by now.

The Latino kids would react the same way to Canadian flags because May 5th is their day to celebrate their identity. Anything other than the Mexican flag is a sign of disrespect for them and their identity. America has gone tribal.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Blame Canada?

People up here are so nice and polite we have a ton of spare room for blame. Just checked the jar is empty. Please send some blame ASAP.