Arizona lawmakers pass bill to allow faith-based discrimination


SLM
No Party Affiliation
+2
#1
Arizona lawmakers pass bill to allow faith-based discrimination



David Schwartz, Reuters

Feb 20, 2014 , Last Updated: 11:15 PM ET

PHOENIX - Arizona lawmakers gave final approval on Thursday to a bill that would allow businesses to refuse service to customers when such work would violate their religious beliefs, in a move critics describe as a license to discriminate against gays and others.
Under the bill, a business owner would have a defense against a discrimination lawsuit, provided a decision to deny service was motivated by a "sincerely held" religious belief and that giving such service would have substantially burdened the exercise of their religious beliefs.
"The Arizona legislature sent a clear message today: In our state everyone is free to live and work according to their faith," said Cathi Herrod, president of the conservative Center for Arizona Policy, which helped write the bill.
The bill passed the Republican-controlled state House of Representatives 33-27 on Thursday, a day after it won similar approval in the state Senate. It will go to Republican Governor Jan Brewer, who has not indicated whether she will sign it.
The American Civil Liberties Union branded the legislation as "unnecessary and discriminatory," saying it had nothing to do with God or faith.
"What today's bill does is allow private individuals and businesses to use religion to discriminate, sending a message that Arizona is intolerant and unwelcoming," said Alessandra Soler, executive director of the ACLU of Arizona.
The Arizona law is seen by critics as an attack on the rights of gays and lesbians to equality under the law at a time when same-sex marriage activists have notched several court victories in recent months.
Some 17 U.S. states and the District of Columbia now recognize gay marriage in a trend that has gained momentum since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that legally married same-sex couples nationwide are eligible for federal benefits.
Since mid-December, federal judges have ruled curbs on same-sex marriage unconstitutional in Oklahoma, Utah and Virginia, although the decisions have been stayed pending appeal. The New Mexico Supreme Court has also legalized gay marriage.
But Arizona is among more than 30 states that still ban gay or lesbian couples from marrying, by constitutional amendment, statute or both.
House Minority Leader Chad Campbell, a Democrat who opposed the measure, called it "state-sanctioned discrimination" that clearly targets members of the gay community.
"We're telling them, 'We don't like you,'" Campbell said, during a heated floor debate. "'We don't want you here. We're not going to protect you, we don't want your business, we don't want your money and we don't want your kind around here.'"
State Representative Eddie Farnsworth said the bill was wrongly being portrayed as discriminatory and that it only made "minor tweaks" to current state law.
"This is simply protecting religious freedom that is recognized and defended and supported in the First Amendment that the founders wanted - nothing else," he said.

Arizona lawmakers pass bill to allow faith-based discrimination
 
Most helpful post: The members here have rated this post as best reply.
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+7
#2  Top Rated Post
Aside from the fact that this will be struck down in court I can see where it could backfire royally. Taxi drivers will now be able to refuse to pick up christians to start with and gay doctors could withhold treatment. Should be interesting.
 
petros
#3
Sweet. Now all the R.C. Mexicans can kick culo on the Born Yesterdays.
 
WLDB
No Party Affiliation
+1
#4
This should make the unemployed atheists of Arizona happy.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+2
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Arizona lawmakers pass bill to allow faith-based discriminationState Representative Eddie Farnsworth said the bill was wrongly being portrayed as discriminatory and that it only made "minor tweaks" to current state law.
"This is simply protecting religious freedom that is recognized and defended and supported in the First Amendment that the founders wanted - nothing else," he said.

Arizona lawmakers pass bill to allow faith-based discrimination

Did religious freedom need protecting in NM before? I'm sure Christians wouldn't need their faith protected. Not so sure if you were Hindu, Buddhist or the M****m. And why would a population of around 4% be any threat to the beliefs of the other 96% of NM?
Nah, this is thinly-disguised bigotry.
Oh, and BTW, legislators of NM, we won't be visiting your state any time soon. CA could use the bucks we'd spend.
 
DaSleeper
#6
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

Aside from the fact that this will be struck down in court I can see where it could backfire royally. Taxi drivers will now be able to refuse to pick up christians to start with and gay doctors could withhold treatment. Should be interesting.

How would that be different from this......
Sharia Law or Canadian Law.....
 
Mowich
Conservative
+1
#7
Quote: Originally Posted by SLMView Post

Arizona lawmakers pass bill to allow faith-based discrimination



David Schwartz, Reuters

Feb 20, 2014 , Last Updated: 11:15 PM ET

PHOENIX - Arizona lawmakers gave final approval on Thursday to a bill that would allow businesses to refuse service to customers when such work would violate their religious beliefs, in a move critics describe as a license to discriminate against gays and others.
Under the bill, a business owner would have a defense against a discrimination lawsuit, provided a decision to deny service was motivated by a "sincerely held" religious belief and that giving such service would have substantially burdened the exercise of their religious beliefs.
"The Arizona legislature sent a clear message today: In our state everyone is free to live and work according to their faith," said Cathi Herrod, president of the conservative Center for Arizona Policy, which helped write the bill.
The bill passed the Republican-controlled state House of Representatives 33-27 on Thursday, a day after it won similar approval in the state Senate. It will go to Republican Governor Jan Brewer, who has not indicated whether she will sign it.
The American Civil Liberties Union branded the legislation as "unnecessary and discriminatory," saying it had nothing to do with God or faith.
"What today's bill does is allow private individuals and businesses to use religion to discriminate, sending a message that Arizona is intolerant and unwelcoming," said Alessandra Soler, executive director of the ACLU of Arizona.
The Arizona law is seen by critics as an attack on the rights of gays and lesbians to equality under the law at a time when same-sex marriage activists have notched several court victories in recent months.
Some 17 U.S. states and the District of Columbia now recognize gay marriage in a trend that has gained momentum since the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in June that legally married same-sex couples nationwide are eligible for federal benefits.
Since mid-December, federal judges have ruled curbs on same-sex marriage unconstitutional in Oklahoma, Utah and Virginia, although the decisions have been stayed pending appeal. The New Mexico Supreme Court has also legalized gay marriage.
But Arizona is among more than 30 states that still ban gay or lesbian couples from marrying, by constitutional amendment, statute or both.
House Minority Leader Chad Campbell, a Democrat who opposed the measure, called it "state-sanctioned discrimination" that clearly targets members of the gay community.
"We're telling them, 'We don't like you,'" Campbell said, during a heated floor debate. "'We don't want you here. We're not going to protect you, we don't want your business, we don't want your money and we don't want your kind around here.'"
State Representative Eddie Farnsworth said the bill was wrongly being portrayed as discriminatory and that it only made "minor tweaks" to current state law.
"This is simply protecting religious freedom that is recognized and defended and supported in the First Amendment that the founders wanted - nothing else," he said.

Arizona lawmakers pass bill to allow faith-based discrimination

How do you define ...... better yet how do you prove that someone's belief is 'sincerely held'? Really.
 
taxslave
No Party Affiliation
+1
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by DaSleeperView Post

How would that be different from this......
Sharia Law or Canadian Law.....

SHaria law does not apply in Canada . YET.
 
shadowshiv
Free Thinker
+6
#9
Arizona continually finds itself in the news, and not in a good way either.
 
tay
+4
#10
 
damngrumpy
No Party Affiliation
+1
#11
The beginning of the end for America and even Russia is much closer.
In Russia they are listening to the Russian Orthodox Church the same
bunch that hoodwinked the people prior to the Revolution and in America
the Crazies like this bunch of legislators is slowly taking control and they
will kill personal freedom, for Jesus.
When governments single out segments of the society for persecution we
should all be concerned it has never ended well.
The French Revolution
Britain's Oliver Cromwell Experiential
the Russian Communist Revolution
Germany's experiment with the Nazis
Even the Joe McCarthy anti Communist hearings of the fifties.
Whether is be zealots from the right or left the people suffer in the long run
Today they persecute the Gays, who is next? As late as the fifties the
system society persecuted school kids who were left handed even and I
was one of them, never changed hands though.
Think about this they persecute these same people in Russia and governments
condemned the action yet a federal government sits by while these zealots do
the same thing makes one wonder eh?
 
Goober
Free Thinker
+2
#12
Arizona pizzeria refuses to serve legislators | Boston Spirit Magazine | Boston.com
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
#13
Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

SHaria law does not apply in Canada . YET.

I still think it'd go over like a lead balloon.

Awesome.
 
Walter
-1
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by shadowshivView Post

Arizona continually finds itself in the news, and not in a good way either.

Your opinion.

Quote: Originally Posted by taxslaveView Post

SHaria law does not apply in Canada . YET.

Not that the Liberals didn't try.
McGuinty Wants "Sharia" Laws For Canadian Muslims - Canadian Chat | DSLReports Forums
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#15
Brace yourself for a shock, Wally. The governor may veto the bible-thumper bill.

Just warning you.
 
Walter
-1
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Brace yourself for a shock, Wally. The governor may veto the bible-thumper bill.

Just warning you.

Warn yourself, too.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+3
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Warn yourself, too.

Wow, what an intelligent, cutting comment! You just get smarter and smarter every day, don't you?
 
Walter
-1
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Wow, what an intelligent, cutting comment! You just get smarter and smarter every day, don't you?

Always have been brighter that you.
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by WalterView Post

Always have been brighter that you.

Yep, you're just the smartest guy in Canada, that's for certain sure.

It shines in every post you make.
 
Cannuck
No Party Affiliation
#20
If it is not vetoed, the NFL says they will yank next years Super Bowl out of Phoenix. It'll be interesting to see if the governor puts a price tag on freedom
 
Tecumsehsbones
+1
#21
Quote: Originally Posted by CannuckView Post

If it is not vetoed, the NFL says they will yank next years Super Bowl out of Phoenix. It'll be interesting to see if the governor puts a price tag on freedom

Just a replay of when AZ refused to acknowledge MLK Day.


Quote:

Governor Evan Mecham’s first act in office was to rescind an executive order creating a Martin Luther King Junior Day in Arizona. It was all downhill from there.The state faced boycotts and protests…and the National Football League took the Super Bowl out of Sun Devil Stadium.Finally, after five years of fights, marches, and failed referenda, Arizona became the first state in the nation with a voter-approved holiday honoring Martin Luther King Junior.

Eight/KAET | Arizona Stories
Arizona is full of slow learners.
 
darkbeaver
Republican
+1
#22
I intend to occupy Arizoni some day.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+2
#23
Looks like the Guvner has some sense: Arizona governor vetos bill giving businesses right to refuse service to gays | National Post
 
Tecumsehsbones
+2
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Looks like the Guvner has some sense: Arizona governor vetos bill giving businesses right to refuse service to gays | National Post

Well, you know what this means. It'll be illegal for good Christians to show the holy love of Jesus by throwing queers, darkies, and Meskins outta their stores and restaurants.

I calculate the Antichrist'll be along directly, now that the Satanic sinners in Wash'tin and that lesbian Governor Brewer done stabbed good God-fearin' folk in the back.
 
El Barto
+1
#25
Goes to show , religious beliefs tends to dull the mind...
 
Liberalman
+1
#26
The Constitution that American hold dear has "equality for all" clause in there which put freedom of religion in jeopardy since all of them have a racist or gender prejudice component in their beliefs and God is the main problem and make the Constitution flawed.
 
Tecumsehsbones
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by LiberalmanView Post

The Constitution that American hold dear has "equality for all" clause in there which put freedom of religion in jeopardy since all of them have a racist or gender prejudice component in their beliefs and God is the main problem and make the Constitution flawed.

That would be an excellent point except that the Constitutino has no "equality for all" clause, and the kind of discrimination the Arizona legislation was supporting doesn't violate the Constitution, but a Federal statute, to wit, the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
 
The Old Medic
Conservative
#28
The Governor vetoed the bill, as she did a very similar one last year.

Some people just do not understand how government in the USA work. We do not have a Parliamentary system in any of the 50 States, or in any of the Territories. State legislators can pass anything they choose to pass, but unlike Canada (and Great Britain, etc.) passing a bill does not make it law.

They can only make a law, without the Governor's approval IF they can muster a 2/3 vote of BOTH houses of the State legislature, to override that Veto.

There are pros and cons to both systems, but personally, I prefer the US model. No one party controls everything in most cases.
 
L Gilbert
No Party Affiliation
+1
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by TecumsehsbonesView Post

Well, you know what this means. It'll be illegal for good Christians to show the holy love of Jesus by throwing queers, darkies, and Meskins outta their stores and restaurants.

I calculate the Antichrist'll be along directly, now that the Satanic sinners in Wash'tin and that lesbian Governor Brewer done stabbed good God-fearin' folk in the back.

I guess. Whatta bummer.

Quote: Originally Posted by The Old MedicView Post

The Governor vetoed the bill, as she did a very similar one last year.

Some people just do not understand how government in the USA work. We do not have a Parliamentary system in any of the 50 States, or in any of the Territories. State legislators can pass anything they choose to pass, but unlike Canada (and Great Britain, etc.) passing a bill does not make it law.

They can only make a law, without the Governor's approval IF they can muster a 2/3 vote of BOTH houses of the State legislature, to override that Veto.

There are pros and cons to both systems, but personally, I prefer the US model. No one party controls everything in most cases.

Basically what you are saying is the States follow rule by law. Well, that's what a republic does. That's why the States is a Republic. And yes, it is different than a democratic monarchy.

I am pretty sure that most people get that.
 
B00Mer
Libertarian
#30
BAD TITLE!!

Arizona lawmakers pass bill to allow faith-based discrimination.

No they did not pass the law... but what is wrong with the law... It America, should you not have the right to deny service and other have the right not to buy your product??
 

Similar Threads

23
Faith-based schools
by I think not | Sep 27th, 2007
5
Faith-based schools
by CBC News | Sep 19th, 2007
24
Discrimination Of Faith
by selfactivated | May 3rd, 2007
1
Bush OK's Teaching Torture In Faith Based Schools
by Paranoid Dot Calm | Oct 31st, 2004
no new posts