Obama snubs Keystone XL in Union Address

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
State of the Union Address: 8 Crucial things Obama said - or didn't

President Obama delivered his sixth State of the Union address on Tuesday, making pledges on minimum wage and health care, among others.

Here are some key points from the address:

President Barack Obama didn’t say the K-word.

No mention of Keystone XL – the controversial and long-delayed pipeline that would unlock Alberta’s vast carbon-laden oil sands which have been targeted by environmental activists as the world’s dirtiest oil. Frustrated Canadians, including foreign Minister John Baird who implored the Obama administration for a decision – any decision, even the wrong one – rather than more delay earlier this month, will have to keep waiting. Aside perhaps from a few Canadians, no one expected Mr. Obama to announce anything about the pipeline in the speech. He didn’t even say “Keystone” which may place its importance in perspective. Climate change activists heard only another vague promise. “When our children’s children look us in the eye and ask if we did all we could to leave them a safer, more stable world, with new sources of energy, I want us to be able to say yes, we did,” the President said.

$10.10 is the new minimum for some

Why $10.10? Because that’s the minimum hourly wage on which a full-time worker could support a family of three and clear – just – the poverty line. Mr. Obama, who was ignored by Congress last year when he pitched for a nation-wide $9-hour minimum wage, set the level for federal contract workers – the gardeners and cleaners and cafeteria staff – who work for private companies at $10.10 an hour. It will boost incomes for hundreds of thousands. But it’s mainly designed to goad Congress into action. “Say yes. Give America a raise,” urged the President.

New agenda, old items

On his watch, Mr. Obama has turned missile-firing drones into the weapon of choice as the U.S. hunts those who the President has approved for elimination – even some American citizens. Last night, Mr. Obama said he wanted to put new, unspecified limits on the targeted assassinations by drones over foreign counties. Meanwhile, the President, stung by revelations that U.S. spy agencies – also on his watch – have been Hoovering up masses of data, including every phone call along with hacking mobile apps to mine more information, said he wanted to restore public confidence so “that the privacy of ordinary people is not being violated.” And the President who vowed to close Guantanamo Bay within a year of taking office says he still wants to do it.

Immigration

Former president George W. Bush tried and failed to persuade a recalcitrant Congress to reform America’s immigration system and bring the estimated 10 to15 million illegal aliens out of the shadows with some sort of decent and humane route to lawful residency. Mr. Obama renewed the push in his speech just as he did last year. Only this time, with mid-term elections looming and the Republican Party desperately in need of votes among Hispanics, it might happen.

Health care

The U.S. has a “broken health-care system,” the President admitted, adding: “And in case you haven’t heard, we’re in the process of fixing that.” Mr. Obama said more than nine million people have signed up for the new scheme, dubbed Obamacare. He intends to provide close to universal health care by fining anyone who refuses to buy coverage and subsidizing the poor to help them pay. Stay tuned as the mid-term elections loom and Republicans take aim.

Heartfelt ovation

State of the Union speeches inevitably feature dozens of applause lines that predictably produce waves of clapping from a president’s party faithful and stony silence from his opponents. But there was nothing staged about the standing ovation for Army Ranger Sergeant Cory Remsburg, who spent months in a coma after a roadside bomb nearly killed him in Afghanistan. Partially paralyzed, blind in one eye, the veteran sat next to First Lady Michelle Obama during the address. Mr. Obama lauded the wounded warrior as someone who “does not quit,” prompting the emotional outpouring of the night.

Where credit is due

Russian President Vladimir Putin, whose arm-twisting was crucial on securing Syria’s agreement, may be surprised to know that “American diplomacy, backed by the threat of force, is why Syria’s chemical weapons are being eliminated.” Mr. Obama also touted the deal with Iran, urging hawks in Congress to give diplomacy a chance. It could, said the President, end the risk of war with Iran.

Moving forward

“America does not stand still, and neither will I,” said the President who heads out of frigid Washington on Wednesday for a two-day, four-state road trip to sell his call for action. Stops in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Tennessee will give Mr. Obama a chance to reprise his message from the hour-long, State of the Union speech.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...l-things-obama-said-or-didnt/article16566888/

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I like Petro's suggestion, ban tankers hauling oil from Alaska in Juan de Fuca..

I mean, if Obama is truly all about the environment, then he shouldn't balk at the idea when it's suggested..

Just 3 More years..

He takes an Oath to the Constitution, then in the State of Union Address says he will bypass the government.. maybe he's confused, he thinks he's King Obama..

The Emperor Has No Clothes.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh boy. Will Obama be able to take the flak when imported CDN electricity hits 20 cent a KWH

Go ahead Barry, pitch your own pipeline from the Bakken.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
State of the Union Address: 8 Crucial things Obama said - or didn't

President Barack Obama didn’t say the K-word.

No mention of Keystone XL – the controversial and long-delayed pipeline that would unlock Alberta’s vast carbon-laden oil sands which have been targeted by environmental activists as the world’s dirtiest oil.

Northern gateway and Energy East have 'unlocked' the sands... Hell, we haven't even talked about the 1 million bbls/day that are pegged to be moved by rail in Western Canada

All Obama has accomplished is deleting the opportunity for Gulf Coast refiners to profit from AB's oil on the export market. Quite honestly, KXL is not in Alberta's best interests, he's very much doing the oilsands a huge favour.

Seems that it's only Obama that isn't interested in the world's dirties oil (as opposed to that extra clean and eco-friendly oil from everywhere else)

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Energy east is conventional heavy.

Is anybody complaining about Saudi, Iraqi, or Venezuelan oil sands being imported.

Oh and for eastern Canadians...guess what you,re burning if not foreign oil sands oil.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
And it still will be heading for upgrade opportunities (value add) in Eastern Canada and probably headed for the European market at Brent (related) pricing. Additional product will go to Ontario/Quebec, etc as well as South to the NE USA.

It's a big win for Canada no matter how you cut it

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Harper says he won't take no for an answer.

Would have liked to be a fly on the wall when O'bomber heard that.

Response to his aide might have been: "Who that mutha fukka think he be !!!! Get summon and pop a cap in he ***".

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
And it still will be heading for upgrade opportunities (value add) in Eastern Canada and probably headed for the European market at Brent (related) pricing. Additional product will go to Ontario/Quebec, etc as well as South to the NE USA.

It's a big win for Canada no matter how you cut it

Energy east will be upgraded here in Regina.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
"A lot of that is because of our incredibly privileged position as printer of the world's reserve currency. It makes us immune to economic realities endured by the rest of the world, at least for the time being
CDN dollar was taking a chunk of that glory until CDN debt was cranked up and investments in the US dollar made by our beloved PM scared off currency holders and traders.

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
Guys, it's okay.

Keystone was no biggie lol

Nuggler - E. Canada. Cute. I prefer Canadastan myself.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
Guys, it's okay.

Keystone was no biggie lol

Does the reality hurt that bad?

KXL was the only thing that was really stopping (read: massive delays) in the 2 other pipelines.

Now that the WH is sitting on the fence on KXL - the other 2 are fast-tracked.

Kudos to the ecotards that were fighting the good fight... They can now bask in the results that even more bitumen will be mined out of AB and Sask.

Nuggler - E. Canada. Cute. I prefer Canadastan myself.

Ever thought of relocating to one of the real 'Stans'?

I'll kick in for a 1-way ticket fer yas

If that is what were happening.

In large part, it is both directly and indirectly