Michael Grimm (R-NY) threatens to throw the reporter "over the balcony"

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
video

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/01/gop-congressman-threatens-reporter-live

Scotto, was finishing an interview with Staten Island Republican Michael Grimm about the State of the Union when he decided to ask one more question. Grimm immediately cut him off saying "I'm not speaking about anything that is off-topic. This is only about the President's speech." The reporter then spoke to the camera saying that he hoped to ask Grimm about the ongoing campaign finance investigation around his 2010 campaign. Grimm has been linked to an allegedly corrupt Israeli rabbi and his ex-girlfriend has been indicted on charges of being a straw donor among other controversies.
Transcript by NY1:
"And just finally before we let you go, we haven't had a chance to talk about some of the..." Scotto began before Grimm cut him off.

"I'm not speaking to you off-topic, this is only about the president," said Grimm, before walking off camera.

"So Congressman Michael Grimm does not want to talk about some of the allegations concerning his campaign finances," Scotto said before tossing back to the station. But as the camera continued to roll, Grimm walked back up to Scotto and began speaking to him in a low voice.

"What?" Scotto responded. "I just wanted to ask you..."

Grimm: "Let me be clear to you, you ever do that to me again I'll throw you off this f-----g balcony."

Scotto: "Why? I just wanted to ask you..."

[[cross talk]]

Grimm: "If you ever do that to me again..."

Scotto: "Why? Why? It’s a valid question."

[[cross talk]]

Grimm: "No, no, you're not man enough, you're not man enough. I'll break you in half. Like a boy."

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
People who don't know how to conduct themselves in public probably shouldn't be running for public office. What an idiot.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
video

http://crooksandliars.com/2014/01/gop-congressman-threatens-reporter-live

Scotto, was finishing an interview with Staten Island Republican Michael Grimm about the State of the Union when he decided to ask one more question. Grimm immediately cut him off saying "I'm not speaking about anything that is off-topic. This is only about the President's speech." The reporter then spoke to the camera saying that he hoped to ask Grimm about the ongoing campaign finance investigation around his 2010 campaign. Grimm has been linked to an allegedly corrupt Israeli rabbi and his ex-girlfriend has been indicted on charges of being a straw donor among other controversies.
Transcript by NY1:
"And just finally before we let you go, we haven't had a chance to talk about some of the..." Scotto began before Grimm cut him off.

"I'm not speaking to you off-topic, this is only about the president," said Grimm, before walking off camera.

"So Congressman Michael Grimm does not want to talk about some of the allegations concerning his campaign finances," Scotto said before tossing back to the station. But as the camera continued to roll, Grimm walked back up to Scotto and began speaking to him in a low voice.

"What?" Scotto responded. "I just wanted to ask you..."

Grimm: "Let me be clear to you, you ever do that to me again I'll throw you off this f-----g balcony."

Scotto: "Why? I just wanted to ask you..."

[[cross talk]]

Grimm: "If you ever do that to me again..."

Scotto: "Why? Why? It’s a valid question."

[[cross talk]]

Grimm: "No, no, you're not man enough, you're not man enough. I'll break you in half. Like a boy."
i'm sure rob ford feels the same way about the media. ;)

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I meant pushing the media off the edge. ;)

Ohhhhhhhhh. You mean when he was hounded to be honest about the video and he denied it until it became available to the public.

Well, he could have avoided all that by being hones, which he and Mr Grimm don't seem to want to be until it's to late...........

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
You know what's coming next, right? The part where we find out that Grimm has been a raging nutjob for years but he never made the big media ..............

Around 2:30 A.M., there was a commotion on the dance floor. According to Williams, somebody was shouting, “He’s got a gun!” Following a crowd into the club’s garage, Williams discovered that Grimm and the husband had returned, and Grimm was holding a weapon. Grimm was “carrying on like a madman,” Williams said. “He’s screaming, ‘I’m gonna ****in’ kill him.’ So I said to him, ‘Who are you?’ He put the gun back in his waist and said, ‘I’m a ****ing F.B.I. agent, ain’t nobody gonna threaten me.’ ” [...]

Grimm left the club, but at 4 A.M., just before the club closed, he returned again, according to Williams, this time with another F.B.I. agent and a group of N.Y.P.D. officers. Grimm had told the police that he had been assaulted by the estranged husband and his friends. Williams said that Grimm took command of the scene, and refused to let the remaining patrons and employees leave. “Everybody get up against the ****ing wall,” Williams recalled him saying. “The F.B.I. is in control.” Then Grimm, who apparently wanted to find the man with whom he’d had the original altercation, said something that Williams said he’ll never forget: “All the white people get out of here.”

more

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2011/04/congressman-michael-grimm-at-the-caribbean-tropics.html

and

http://www.nationaljournal.com/congress/the-time-michael-grimm-yelled-at-me-20140129

Also ; allegations that Grimm threatened to make an off-duty NYPD officer he was having the barroom altercation with "disappear."

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/05/02/110502fa_fact_ratliff?currentPage=all

As for the campaign finance scandal that the insolent reporter had questioned Grimm about, the reporter probably should have narrowed it down a bit:

More serious charges followed in 2012, when Grimm became the subject of an ongoing federal investigation into his campaign finances. [...] An investigation by The New York Times found that Grimm and Biton told the rabbi's followers that the campaign "would find a way to accept donations that were over the legal limit." [...]
One month later, The New York Times reported that in 2006 Grimm had invested in a luxury development with a former FBI agent, Carlos Luquis, who at the time was under indictment on state racketeering and fraud charges. [...]

Grimm's troubles continue to this day: Earlier this month, the New York Daily News reported evidence of Grimm supporters engaging in “donor swapping." Two weeks ago, Grimm’s reported ex-girlfriend was arrested by the FBI, who charged her with making illegal campaign contributions to Grimm through straw donors. [...]

Grimm failed to report a stop-off to Cyprus as part of the trip for nearly a year. The organizer of that trip was later arrested for bribery.

more

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2014/01/grimms-tales-rep-michael-grimms-history-of-confrontation-182242.html

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
You would think that if politicians didn't want to answer the tough questions about their behaviour they would not put themselves in that position in the first place.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Reporter that Grimm (R-NY) Threatened is Nephew of Gambino Boss

As if impending corruption charges weren't enough, Rep. Grimm now has another reason to be frequently looking over his shoulder...........

The journalist is related to Anthony Scotto, former head of the Brooklyn longshoremen’s union and a former boss in the Gambino crime family.
“Michael is a tough reporter, and in true Scotto fashion, he’s not easily intimidated!” “Good Day New York” host Rosanna Scotto, Michael’s cousin and Anthony’s daughter, told me.​

Rep. Grimm couldn’t intimidate Scotto | Page Six

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
You would think that if politicians didn't want to answer the tough questions about their behaviour they would not put themselves in that position in the first place.

Hubris. Many politicians, if not damned near all of them, are lousy with it.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The journalist is related to Anthony Scotto, former head of the Brooklyn longshoremen’s union and a former boss in the Gambino crime family.
“Michael is a tough reporter, and in true Scotto fashion, he’s not easily intimidated!” “Good Day New York” host Rosanna Scotto, Michael’s cousin and Anthony’s daughter, told me.
"True Scotto fashion" being what, exactly? Organised crime and murder?

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.), who told a reporter he'd "break" him "in half," seemed to miss the irony when he encouraged his colleagues to support a bill aimed at curbing bullying.

The Safe Schools Improvement Act, of which Grimm is a cosponsor, would require public schools to create policies that prevent bullying and harassment.

"It's time that we all say enough is enough," Grimm said on the House floor Wednesday. "We must demand accountability from those charged with addressing bullying in our schools ... we owe it to all of our young adults."

Grimm had threatened to throw a reporter off a Capitol balcony after President Barack Obama's State of the Union address in January, though he admitted he "screwed up" after the incident.

He is facing an ethics complaint over the threat, although that investigation is on hold at the request of the Department of Justice.

In April, Grimm was indicted on 20 counts of fraud for allegedly evading taxes while running a Manhattan restaurant.

Grimm will face former New York City Councilman Domenic Recchia (D) in his Staten Island and Brooklyn district this November.

Michael Grimm, Who Threatened To Throw Reporter Over Balcony, Rallies Against Bullying

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
U.S. Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.) announced late Monday that he will resign from Congress effective next week.

Grimm pleaded guilty in federal court last week to felony tax fraud. He privately told House Republican leaders Monday that he will resign, following calls from Democrats for him to step down.

“After much thought and prayer, I have made the very difficult decision to step down from Congress effective January 5th, 2015,” Grimm said in a statement. “This decision is made with a heavy heart, as I have enjoyed a very special relationship and closeness with my constituents, whom I care about deeply.

Grimm could face up to three years in prison. He is scheduled to be sentenced June 8.

The congressman was indicted this year on 20 counts of misconduct in connection with a Manhattan health food restaurant he co-owned before he became a member of Congress. As a part of his plea, the other charges will be dismissed without prejudice, his attorney, Stuart N. Kaplan, said in an e-mail last week.

Rep. Michael Grimm announces his resignation from Congress, effective Monday - The Washington Post