Suicides Surpasses fatalities from Car Accidents in America

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Suicide rates among middle-aged Americans have risen sharply in the past decade, prompting concern that a generation of baby boomers who have faced years of economic worry.

More people now die of suicide than in car accidents, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which published the findings in Friday’s issue of its Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. In 2010 there were 33,687 deaths from motor vehicle crashes and 38,364 suicides.

Suicide has typically been viewed as a problem of teenagers and the elderly, and the surge in suicide rates among middle-aged Americans is surprising.

The rise in suicides may also stem from the economic downturn over the past decade. Historically, suicide rates rise during times of financial stress and economic setbacks. “The increase does coincide with a decrease in financial standing for a lot of families over the same time period,” Dr. Arias said.

more

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/health/suicide-rate-rises-sharply-in-us.html?_r=1&

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Not surprising at all. How many lost their pensions and their homes in the crash of 2008? But its OK because CEOs got 6 figure bonuses for pulling off that stunt.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Air bags, crackdown on drunk driving, and safe driving. Nice.

Not surprising at all. How many lost their pensions and their homes in the crash of 2008? But its OK because CEOs got 6 figure bonuses for pulling off that stunt.

And good driving habits!

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
This is excellent news about the sharp reduction in traffic deaths over the past couple of decades.
You are not calculating in the suicides via crashing their cars. (or the two gunshots to the back of the head that is often used)
I suspect the suicide rates will skyrocket once the 'rich' start losing their wealth. I wonder if bridges or tall buildings will be the most popular way the rich will use to bite the dust?

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is excellent news about the sharp reduction in traffic deaths over the past couple of decades.

That is the positive way to look at it. I am wondering if suicides have gone up, traffic deaths gone down or a bit of both.

Statistically suicide is pretty unusual in middle aged people. Sure, it happens but its usually the young or very old who go that route.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
You are not calculating in the suicides via crashing their cars.

Thats another thing I wondered about. I knew a fellow who tried to do it that way. He survived but barely. Considering the shape he is in now he would have been better off not surviving.

That is a fact. Unfortunately we have somehow come to believe that everyone has to live forever despite the cost.

Indeed. My grandmother died last week from complications with dementia. For the last two years she has been more or less an empty shell. She would have been better off dying years ago, and she wanted to. When she was healthy she told me dying in an old age home and not knowing who she was or who anyone around her was her worst fear. Unfortunately thats the way it went. Her life ended long ago, this was just the end of her existence.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Thats another thing I wondered about. I knew a fellow who tried to do it that way. He survived but barely. Considering the shape he is in now he would have been better off not surviving.

Indeed. My grandmother died last week from complications with dementia. For the last two years she has been more or less an empty shell. She would have been better off dying years ago, and she wanted to. When she was healthy she told me dying in an old age home and not knowing who she was or who anyone around her was her worst fear. Unfortunately thats the way it went. Her life ended long ago, this was just the end of her existence.

I had my will set up to prevent that from happening to me.

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Indeed. My grandmother died last week from complications with dementia. For the last two years she has been more or less an empty shell. She would have been better off dying years ago, and she wanted to. When she was healthy she told me dying in an old age home and not knowing who she was or who anyone around her was her worst fear. Unfortunately thats the way it went.

My condolences on your grandmother. It's sad she had to endure her worst fears in her final years of life, although she was in all likelihood unaware that she was in fact living them out.

But you knew, so that had to make it difficult to watch.

Her life ended long ago, this was just the end of her existence.
It also prolongs the grieving process for those who knew and loved her. Just don't kid yourself though, you may acknowledge this was merely the end of her existence in a rational way, but give yourself the time and space to grieve her actual passing too. Because it'll happen.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I am not going to wander off anytime soon and my pensions bloody well better be there.
Should they not be the young folks is gonna see a long grey haired revolution and it
won't be purdy. Why when we find our way out to the nursing home we's gonna de send
upon the masses demanding our money and we don't know who yet but the bastar*s is
gonna pay. Cullin the herd nothing we could of culled the herd years ago before these
damn kids got their bonuses.