IRS: Fine. If you won't let us target conservative groups and the Tea Party

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
...we'll just target small businesses instead. Happy now?

^ from Fark

Small business owners across the country are receiving letters from the IRS questioning if they are reporting all of their cash income, in a new push by the agency some are saying could unnecessarily create fear in the small business community.

The Wall Street Journal reports the initiative
is an attempt to respond to what the agency feels is a widespread failure by small businesses to report all their cash sales.

The agency says the letters are not the same as an audit, and it is simply seeking more tax information from the businesses. However, some lawmakers and business owners who received the letters say the initiative is alarming.

"There's an emotional thing when you get a pretty ominous-looking letter from the IRS, [saying] you might have done some bad things," small business owner Tom Reese tells the Wall Street Journal. "I really work hard with my accountant to make sure that I not only follow the law, but follow the letter of the law."

One letter the IRS sent is headlined, "Notification of Possible Income Underreporting." It notifies the business owner "your gross receipts may be underreported" and says they must complete a form "to explain why the portion of your gross receipts from non-card payments appears unusually low."

One lawmaker says the letter’s tone implies wrongdoing from the start.

more

Critics question IRS initiative targeting small businesses | Fox News

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
If they are not reporting the cash sales, they should be prosecuted
if all transactions are reported there is a record of the sale and if
reported there is no problem and no reason for panic. The fact is
many have not been reporting income and they deserve to be fined
or prosecuted for not paying their taxes on income.
To fail to report is stealing why do I have no sympathy for these
proposed deadbeats?

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If they are not reporting the cash sales, they should be prosecuted
if all transactions are reported there is a record of the sale and if
reported there is no problem and no reason for panic. The fact is
many have not been reporting income and they deserve to be fined
or prosecuted for not paying their taxes on income.
To fail to report is stealing why do I have no sympathy for these
proposed deadbeats?
Any yet the rich and corporations can hide their money in offshore accounts while the little guy gets it up the rear. The system is rigged against you. If you can't afford an expensive accounting firm, you are screwed, blued and tattooed. If the system was applied equally to all, I might agree with you, but it ain't.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Jeeez. IRS sounds like our CIS; go after the fairly honest little guy cuz he's easier to catch. Sensible.
Is this reasonable suspicion? Do they have probable cause? Or are they just being neighborly?
Do the little guys get gov't bailouts and nice stuff like that? Nope. They have to scrounge for loans and other scraps.