Obama to mark 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King's 'I have a dream' speech

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via zip

Last year, during the campaign, Obama put out campaign buttons with MLK’s face and his face together, indicating that he, Obama, was the fulfillment of the dream. His narcissism continues apace…

The event, to be held on August 28 in the US capital, will take place on the exact spot where King delivered his famous address on the same day in 1963.

Mr Obama, the first black US president, will speak about the half century that has passed since the "March on Washington for Jobs and Freedom," which culminated with remarks by the Atlanta pastor and civil rights icon.

In 1963 King spoke in front of 250,000 people, explaining his wish for better relations between black and white Americans.

His words were engraved on the steps of the monument where he spoke.

President Lyndon B. Johnson, who took over when president John F. Kennedy was assassinated just four months after King spoke in Washington, signed landmark civil rights laws in 1964 and 1965.

Barack Obama to mark 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King's 'I have a dream' speech - Telegraph

I can only hope that barry follows in MLK's footsteps, sooner than later.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Fifty years after that terrible day what is still true is MLK, a Republican, murdered by James Earl Ray, a Democrat.

OpposingDigit

Electoral Member
Aug 27, 2017
They Ruling Class are not "Celebrating" Martin Luther King ...... They are perpetuating/encouraging/propagandizing the myth of "Non-Violence".

It took 50 years (2011) for the Ruling Class to allow/erect a monument of the man near the National Mall in Washington.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
It took 43 years (2011) for the Ruling Class to allow/erect a monument of the man near the National Mall in Washington.
Took 59 years (2004) for the WWII memorial to get built.
Took 57 years for the Lincoln memorial to get built.
Took 117 years for the Jefferson memorial to be built.
Took 89 years for the Washington memorial to be built.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
They Ruling Class are not "Celebrating" Martin Luther King ...... They are perpetuating/encouraging/propagandizing the myth of "Non-Violence".

It took 50 years (2011) for the Ruling Class to allow/erect a monument of the man near the National Mall in Washington.

And then this happened...

Took 59 years (2004) for the WWII memorial to get built.
Took 57 years for the Lincoln memorial to get built.
Took 117 years for the Jefferson memorial to be built.
Took 89 years for the Washington memorial to be built.

Hey Digit...Walter just gave you an internet pile drive.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
And, almost 100 years later, there is still no WW1 Memorial in Washington DC.

OpposingDigit

Electoral Member
Aug 27, 2017
The earliest date I can see regarding any statue honouring MLK is around 1980.

No doubt statues and memorials per WWI and WWII are situated within thousands of communities in America. WWI and II has a zillion statues. I would bet that one was already on the drawing boards in 1918 and 1945.

And, I did not suggest that Martin Luther King was more important to American history than WWI and II, or Lincoln, Jefferson and Washington.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Actually there is... it is really small. Not nearly as extravagant as the other War Memorials.
Where? Pershing Park is just a park right now where a national memorial is proposed to be built.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
The widow of Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. says she feels vindicated by a jury's finding in December 1999 that her husband was the victim of a conspiracy, not a lone assassin, and says it is the duty of the Justice Department to look at the information presented in the Memphis case.

The jury also heard a great deal of evidence which exonerated James Earl Ray," Pepper said Thursday. "That should be made clear because there are spins coming out indicating that James was part of this conspiracy. That's not what the jury found or heard. They heard strong evidence that James was an unknowing patsy
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mlks-family-feels-vindicated/

Poor ol Martin Luther King - Murdered and then martyred by the murderers.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
District of Columbia WWI Memorial located right of Independence Ave. It looks like a mini Jefferson Memorial.

Decapoda

Council Member
Mar 4, 2016

And I wonder how long it will take before it's torn down by Orwellian leftist SJW's?

“Is there a difference between honoring McKinley and Robert E. Lee?” the mayor, Sofia Pereira, who was part of the majority, said during a recent interview. “They both represent historical pain.”

Apparently the metric now for statue removal is any statue that represents historical pain.

McKinley Statue Scheduled for Removal