My Job is Threatened!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Iowa Supreme Court stands by ruling on firing of attractive assistant

Read more: Iowa Supreme Court stands by ruling on firing of attractive assistant | Fox News

The Iowa Supreme Court on Friday stood by its ruling that a dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant because he found her too attractive and worried he would try to start an affair.
Coming to the same conclusion as it did in December, the all-male court found that bosses can fire employees they see as threats to their marriages, even if the subordinates have not engaged in flirtatious or other inappropriate behavior. The court said such firings do not count as illegal sex discrimination because they are motivated by feelings, not gender.
The ruling upholds a judge's decision to dismiss a discrimination lawsuit filed against Fort Dodge dentist James Knight, who fired assistant Melissa Nelson, even while acknowledging she had been a stellar employee for 10 years. Knight and his wife believed that his attraction to Nelson -- two decades younger than the dentist -- had become a threat to their marriage. Nelson, now 33, was replaced by another woman; Knight had an all-female staff.
The all-male court issued its revised opinion Friday in the case after taking the unusual step last month of withdrawing its December opinion, which had received nationwide publicity, debate and criticism.
Nelson's attorney, Paige Fiedler, had asked the court in January to reconsider, calling the decision a blow for gender and racial equity in the workplace. She had warned the opinion could allow bosses to legally fire dark-skinned blacks and replace them with light-skinned blacks or small-breasted workers in favor of big-breasted workers.
The court had only granted reconsiderations five times in the last decade.

Read more: Iowa Supreme Court stands by ruling on firing of attractive assistant | Fox News

I just want y'all to know, us turbo-hot gods and goddesses are under constant threat from you petty, jealous, ugly people.

I ain't just a pretty face, y'know.

I'm also a totally ripped bod.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
So what..........it took ten years for this guy to realize he was attracted to her - then in spite of having done a 'stellar' job she has to go because he's 'afraid' he will start an affair with her? Doesn't it take two to have an affair?

Hope she appeals the case to a higher court - this is way beyond ridiculous.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

The Iowa Supreme Court on Friday stood by its ruling that a dentist acted legally when he fired an assistant because he found her too attractive and worried he would try to start an affair.
Coming to the same conclusion as it did in December, the all-male court found that bosses can fire employees they see as threats to their marriages, even if the subordinates have not engaged in flirtatious or other inappropriate behavior. The court said such firings do not count as illegal sex discrimination because they are motivated by feelings, not gender.
The ruling upholds a judge's decision to dismiss a discrimination lawsuit filed against Fort Dodge dentist James Knight, who fired assistant Melissa Nelson, even while acknowledging she had been a stellar employee for 10 years. Knight and his wife believed that his attraction to Nelson -- two decades younger than the dentist -- had become a threat to their marriage. Nelson, now 33, was replaced by another woman; Knight had an all-female staff.
The all-male court issued its revised opinion Friday in the case after taking the unusual step last month of withdrawing its December opinion, which had received nationwide publicity, debate and criticism.
Nelson's attorney, Paige Fiedler, had asked the court in January to reconsider, calling the decision a blow for gender and racial equity in the workplace. She had warned the opinion could allow bosses to legally fire dark-skinned blacks and replace them with light-skinned blacks or small-breasted workers in favor of big-breasted workers.

Really? Sounds to me like the threat to the marriage is him, not his dental assistant. And the threat to justice is the law. Weeeeeelllll, sometimes anyways.

I just want y'all to know, us turbo-hot gods and goddesses are under constant threat from you petty, jealous, ugly people.

Natch. And in spite of what wifey says sometimes, my face is not in a permanent scowl. :D She does also mention I am "cute". :/ I was thinking more along the lines of "devastatingly handsome".

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
So what..........it took ten years for this guy to realize he was attracted to her - then in spite of having done a 'stellar' job she has to go because he's 'afraid' he will start an affair with her? Doesn't it take two to have an affair?

In this case, there is no higher court.

Oddly, I agree with the Iowa Supremes. Dentist-boy's action, while profoundly stupid, is not illegal. Discrimination is only forbidden on certain, specified bases: race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, Vietnam veteran status, and age (for people over 40). And employment is at-will except when otherwise agreed in the employment contract, terminable by either party for "a good reason, a bad reason, or no reason at all."

Hotness discrimination, however cruel to us hotties, is not illegal.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Silly to base discrimination upon looks either way. Usually people choose more pleasing features over less pleasing ones. Kinda hoping the guy ends up with something that looks alienish and right out of Predator. :D

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
Really? Sounds to me like the threat to the marriage is him, not his dental assistant.

Yep, but she'd have been equally fired if he left for the sake of his marriage. And people are allowed to do that. They're allowed to make business decisions for the sake of their marriages. Hubby's done it lots. Thankfully, he's a manager, not an employer, so no one has lost their jobs due to his decisions to switch is life up. But, when you work directly for an employer, you have to understand that their life decisions may effect your employment, not like working for a faceless corporation.

Silly to base discrimination upon looks either way. Usually people choose more pleasing features over less pleasing ones. Kinda hoping the guy ends up with something that looks alienish and right out of Predator. :D

If it took him 10 years for his feelings to become a problem, I doubt they were as based in her appearance as the article implies.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yep, but she'd have been equally fired if he left for the sake of his marriage. And people are allowed to do that. They're allowed to make business decisions for the sake of their marriages. Hubby's done it lots. Thankfully, he's a manager, not an employer, so no one has lost their jobs due to his decisions to switch is life up. But, when you work directly for an employer, you have to understand that their life decisions may effect your employment, not like working for a faceless corporation.
Yeah, I got that, it just seemed odd to me.

If it took him 10 years for his feelings to become a problem, I doubt they were as based in her appearance as the article implies.
My first thought. And it prompted me to say that it sounded like he was more of a threat to the marriage than the assistant was. I'm betting he thinks he might have been falling in love or something. Or at least falling in lust.

hehe I'm working through my impression of "oddity". :)

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007

I also hope that he loses his client base due to his idiotic behaviour.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Does she fight for the rights of ugly women who get looked over for jobs in favor of her? She should shut her pie hole and thank her lucky stars that she has plenty of opportunities in the world. More than her less than goodlooking counterparts.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Does she fight for the rights of ugly women who get looked over for jobs in favor of her? She should shut her pie hole and thank her lucky stars that she has plenty of opportunities in the world. More than her less than goodlooking counterparts.

Why should she shut her pie hole? I know that I would be as pissed off as she was if that happened to me.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Ever walk through downtown Vancouver and see an unattractive woman get into a high rise corporate elevator? It doesn't happen. Attractive people have far more opportunities so she should take advantage of her advantage and stop whining.

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Ever walk through downtown Vancouver and see an unattractive woman get into a high rise corporate elevator? It doesn't happen. Attractive people have far more opportunities so she should take advantage of her advantage and stop whining.

I'm sorry, but I don't think it's whining. Losing your job because of a BS excuse is a valid gripe! It doesn't matter if the person that loses their job is good looking or not.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I'm sorry, but I don't think it's whining. Losing your job because of a BS excuse is a valid gripe! It doesn't matter if the person that loses their job is good looking or not.
The courts don't appear to see it as a BS excuse.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
During the Zimmerman case I said the legal system in America was going to
hell and in a handbasket. This case demonstrates the legal system can no
longer be trusted to be fair.The American Empire sinks on more inch into the
abyss.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Does she fight for the rights of ugly women who get looked over for jobs in favor of her?
What if she does? How would news readers know?
She should shut her pie hole and thank her lucky stars that she has plenty of opportunities in the world. More than her less than goodlooking counterparts.
Really? You are saying only good-looking women ever get to be doctors, scientists, heads of companies, prime ministers, etc.? This one is a dental assistant, probably with plans for becoming a dentist. You don't get to be a dentist on good looks. Jeezez H.

Ever walk through downtown Vancouver and see an unattractive woman get into a high rise corporate elevator? It doesn't happen.
Baf'nloney. I'd make a bet you have just been gapin at the good-looking ones and the not-so-good-looking ones didn't get your attention. Ever seen a pic of eBay's CEO?
Attractive people have far more opportunities so she should take advantage of her advantage and stop whining.
Be interesting if you'd show evidence for that claim. In my experience as well as wifey's, education institutions don't hand out diplomas and degrees for looking good.

I agree with you there, however odd it seemed to me.

I'm sure you and I will both agree (obviously not in this particular case, LOL!) that the Courts don't always get it right.;)
Actually, I agree with the courts. They are bound by laws and if it isn't illegal to discriminate on the basis of looks, the courts are stuck with it.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
In point of fact, the court didn't rule on the excuse. It merely said that appearance or attractiveness was not a prohibited basis for employment discrimination.

Sorry, you may return to your hate now.

During the Zimmerman case I said the legal system in America was going to
hell and in a handbasket. This case demonstrates the legal system can no
longer be trusted to be fair.The American Empire sinks on more inch into the
abyss.
Fair? I don't think the American legal system (or the English one before that) was intended to be fair. It's intended to interpret and apply the law, which does not prohibit employment discrimination based on appearance.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON

I burst out laughing at the part about replacing her. Would this not be a slap in the face of the new member? What does it imply about her looks?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I burst out laughing at the part about replacing her. Would this not be a slap in the face of the new member? What does it imply about her looks?
Wanted: Dental assistant. Associate's degree or equivalent certificate a must, fat and ugly preferred. Competitive wages & benefits. If you're ugly enough to make a freight train take a dirt road, an exciting, well-paid future awaits! Send resume and hideous photo to:

Dr. Clem Asswit, DDS
Professional Building
33 Poor Impulse Control Way
Infidelity, IA 62755

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

Did you see the woman's photo, Kres? Though not unattractive, I would hardly call her a knock-out. The woman did a 'stellar' job for 10 years and gets rewarded for her hard work by being fired by someone who obviously needs serious psychiatric help and probably a marriage counselor.