Why We Should Stop Subsidizing CEO Pay

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Almost everyone knows CEO pay is out of control. It surged 16 percent at big companies last year, and the typical CEO raked in $15.1 million, according to the New York Times.

Meanwhile, the median wage continued to drop, adjusted for inflation.

What's less well-known is that you and I and other taxpayers are subsidizing this sky-high executive compensation. That's because corporations deduct it from their income taxes, causing the rest of us to pay more in taxes to make up the difference.

This tax subsidy to corporate executives from the rest of us ought to be one of the first tax expenditures to go, when and if congress turns to reforming the tax code.

We almost got there 20 years ago. When he was campaigning for the presidency, Bill Clinton promised that if elected he'd end the deductibility of executive pay in excess of $1 million.

Once in office, though, his economic advisers urged him to modify his pledge to allow corporations to deduct executive pay in excess of $1 million if the pay was linked to corporate performance -- that is, to the value of the company's shares. (I hate to sound like a told-you-so, but I was the one adviser who wanted the new president to stick to his campaign promise without creating the pay-for-performance loophole.)

Clinton agreed with the majority of his advisers, and a new provision was added to the Internal Revenue Code, Section 162(m), allowing corporations to deduct from their tax bills executive compensation in excess of $1 million, if the compensation is tied to company performance.

How has it worked out? Even Senator Charles Grassley, the ranking Republican on the Senate Finance Committee, agrees it's been a sham:

162(m) is broken. ... It was well-intentioned. But it really hasn't worked at all. Companies have found it easy to get around the law. It has more holes than Swiss cheese. And it seems to have encouraged the options industry. These sophisticated folks are working with Swiss-watch-like devices to game this Swiss-cheese-like rule.

One such game has been to hand out performance awards on the basis of nothing more than an upward drift in the value of the stock market as a whole, over which the executives played no role other than watch as their company's stock price rose along with that of almost every other company.

Another game has been to back-date executive stock options to match past dips in the companies' share price, thereby exaggerating the subsequent upswing and creating fatter "performance" bonuses.

A third game has been to set the performance bar artificially low -- even lower than what the companies tell Wall Street analysts to expect -- so the executives are almost guaranteed to beat the threshold.

Last year 107 CEOs of Standard & Poor 500 companies got performance-based awards totaling $1.4 billion even though their companies showed negative returns relative to an index of all stocks, according to an analysis by Bloomberg Business.

Not only are shareholders taken to the cleaners by these maneuvers. So are you and I and other taxpayers.

The Economic Policy Institute estimates that between 2007 and 2010, a total of $121.5 billion in executive compensation was deducted from corporate earnings, and roughly 55 percent of this total was for performance-based compensation. Given all the games, it's likely much of this "performance" was baloney.

So what's the answer? As I argued 20 years ago, keep the cap at $1 million and get rid of the performance-pay loophole. Executive pay in excess of $1 million shouldn't be deductible from corporate taxes, period.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-reich/ceo-pay-tax-deduction_b_3612811.html

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
What's less well-known is that you and I and other taxpayers are subsidizing this sky-high executive compensation. That's because corporations deduct it from their income taxes, causing the rest of us to pay more in taxes to make up the difference.

This tax subsidy to corporate executives from the rest of us ought to be one of the first tax expenditures to go, when and if congress turns to reforming the tax code.

We almost got there 20 years ago. When he was campaigning for the presidency, Bill Clinton promised that if elected he'd end the deductibility of executive pay in excess of $1 million.

Here's the 411 for ya tay, the reason that Clinton backed off his 'promise' was because his advisers informed him that the corps would up the ante by virtue of offering stock options rather than cash bonuses for performance... Those options are taxed on a capital-gains basis rather income (capital gains taxes being lower).

Even if the Corp gets a deduction on the salary/bonus (that they only see about a 50 cents on the dollar benefit from), the IRS taxes the CEO at the highest rate on the back end.

Believe me - society isn't 'subsidizing' a thing in terms of CEO compensation, especially in light that around of 50% of US taxpayers don't pay one thin dime in Fed taxes... You might want to rethink the issue of exactly who is subsidizing who here

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Tay: Do you have any knowledge about finance or economics at all? or do you cut & Paste from equally ignorant left wing rags? You do realize that the CEO's must pay income tax on their earnings just like regular people don't you? Often at a higher rate than corporations would pay on that money.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Ok, so I'm in business and its incorporated. I hire employees, including a CFO or COO to assist me with my finances and, hopefully, look to future for either expansion and/or creating additional products to sell to consumers. I have decided to pay my CFO/COO $200,000/yr and, based on performance of the company, perhaps a bonus of some type if the business does well. All salaries and benefits of my employees, including the CFO/COO are expenses that I've incurred in order to maintain and better my business. I pay taxes on my profit after all expenses; my employees pay taxes on their income; my Corporation also pay business taxes (municiple) (over and above corp. income tax), and state/provincial income tax. I also pay a payroll tax for each and every employee (employers portion of CPP & EI). And there are people who say businesses don't pay enough?? Seriously??

The fact of the matter is that businesses are limited in their write-offs, despite what a lot of people believe. Many bankrupt individuals who have had businesses are bankrupt because they couldn't be bothered to find out what was a legitamate tax write-off. When audited by CRA found out that - oops - can't write off 100% everything. This is such a widespread myth that businesses can write-off "everything." The fact of the matter is that running a business involves paper work - lots and lots of paperwork and if you can't handle the paperwork, you shouldn't be in business.

The same holds true for businesses who are Sole Proprietors as well - write-offs are limited to business expenses only. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that!!

JMHO

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Ok, so I'm in business and its incorporated. I hire employees, including a CFO or COO to assist me with my finances and, hopefully, look to future for either expansion and/or creating additional products to sell to consumers. I have decided to pay my CFO/COO $200,000/yr and, based on performance of the company, perhaps a bonus of some type if the business does well. All salaries and benefits of my employees, including the CFO/COO are expenses that I've incurred in order to maintain and better my business. I pay taxes on my profit after all expenses; my employees pay taxes on their income; my Corporation also pay business taxes (municiple) (over and above corp. income tax), and state/provincial income tax. I also pay a payroll tax for each and every employee (employers portion of CPP & EI). And there are people who say businesses don't pay enough?? Seriously??

The fact of the matter is that businesses are limited in their write-offs, despite what a lot of people believe. Many bankrupt individuals who have had businesses are bankrupt because they couldn't be bothered to find out what was a legitamate tax write-off. When audited by CRA found out that - oops - can't write off 100% everything. This is such a widespread myth that businesses can write-off "everything." The fact of the matter is that running a business involves paper work - lots and lots of paperwork and if you can't handle the paperwork, you shouldn't be in business.

The same holds true for businesses who are Sole Proprietors as well - write-offs are limited to business expenses only. You'd be surprised how many people don't know that!!

JMHO
Yeah, businesses are so limited in their write-offs that in the United States, it is entirely possible to turn a billion-dollar profit and pay zero in income tax (or even negative taxes, i.e. get money from the government).

That's what I have a problem with.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Yeah, businesses are so limited in their write-offs that in the United States, it is entirely possible to turn a billion-dollar profit and pay zero in income tax (or even negative taxes, i.e. get money from the government).

That's what I have a problem with.

Corporate taxation is often sited as the reason for economic downturn but recent revelation indicates that the bigger the corporation the less it pays in tax if it pays anything at all. It has been demonstrated conclusively that the power of taxation rest almost exclusively with those same multinationals. The governments are the collectors but

Believe me - society isn't 'subsidizing' a thing in terms of CEO compensation, especially in light that around of 50% of US taxpayers don't pay one thin dime in Fed taxes... You might want to rethink the issue of exactly who is subsidizing who here

That's because they can't afford offshore tax havens.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
All of this silly talk would cease if we scrapped all current taxes, save consumption taxes. You only pay tax on what you use.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
That's because they can't afford offshore tax havens.

Ever wonder why people/corps gravitate to tax havens?.... You seeing the relationship here?

All of this silly talk would cease if we scrapped all current taxes save consumption taxes. You only pay tax on what you use.

With such a high percentage of voters not paying any Fed taxes to begin with, you can't possibly think that the spineless politicians would ever consider instituting a policy that translates to everyone contributing to the tax base

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Also there is the false idea that somehow if I pay more taxes it will actually go to help the poor... Duffy come to mind?

Lower my taxes and I can actually give to whom I want. Make more of my taxes 100% charity-deductible at a 1:1 ratio and I'm happy. Or even if not 1:1 then at least at a high ratio. That way I'm still doing my bit while making sure the guy in the street and not Duffy is getting it.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Ever wonder why people/corps gravitate to tax havens?.... You seeing the relationship here?

The same old excuse of relationship that heralded the introduction of free trade, trickle down economics, deregulation and a hand up your dress instead of a hand out. The elect avoid work and the responsibility of paying their taxes. One would have to be willfully blind and deaf not to understand the hereditary privilege of the elite. Make the call, your optomitrist awaits.

The Capt,s believes that squeezing the poor will fill the state coffers. Exploitation 101; published 1500 BC

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
I don't think people mind paying taxes per se. It's part of civic duty. It's how it's spent that irks us. Again, more charitable tax deductons and we can actually direct the money to where it counts.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
Fury as BBC pensions bill soars to £2bn: Licence fee payers foot bill as boss gets £200,000 deal - and a £750,000 new job

Licence fee payers face a shocking £2?billion bill to meet the spiralling cost of the BBC pension scheme, which includes six-figure payouts to top executives.
An analysis of some of the staggering deals enjoyed by staff at the corporation reveals that one 55-year-old executive who took early retirement is receiving an annual pension of £200,000 - in addition to a £750,000-a-year salary from his new job.
The growing burden of these generous deals has contributed to a £600?million increase in the BBC's pension fund deficit over the past year to more than £1.7?billion, amounting to nearly half its yearly revenue from the licence fee.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Tay: Do you have any knowledge about finance or economics at all? or do you cut & Paste from equally ignorant left wing rags? You do realize that the CEO's must pay income tax on their earnings just like regular people don't you? Often at a higher rate than corporations would pay on that money.

Geeezz........ I never got back to this.

Well yes as a matter of fact I do have knowledge of economics AND finance.

But even if you don't surely you weren't unconscious when the debate over whether Romney paid tax was going on. Even one who wasn't aware of such issues would have been brushed with some awareness of this contentious legality.

Maybe you should read stuff that is not from the Koch bros, Fox and the Sun to get a better perspective on the world.

Now read the original article which talks about subsidizing executive wages then read the following from the left leaning Bloomberg people..................

How to Pay No Taxes: 10 Strategies Used by the Rich

How to Pay No Taxes: 10 Strategies Used by the Rich - Businessweek

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So it's an under education problem if there are ways you don't have to pay if you simply learn about them?

Who is subsidizing this knowledge?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009

The article should read: How to Pay No INCOME Taxes.

The article specifically states that taxes are paid in the form of capital gains and dividends.

This same sad argument was made with regards to Buffet; that he paid less income tax than his secretary... The important part that was missing was that Buffet paid billions in taxes related to capital gains and dividend income.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The article should read: How to Pay No INCOME Taxes.

The article specifically states that taxes are paid in the form of capital gains and dividends.

This same sad argument was made with regards to Buffet; that he paid less income tax than his secretary... The important part that was missing was that Buffet paid billions in taxes related to capital gains and dividend income.

At least in the U.S., capital gains and dividends are reported on income taxes.