Hopey Changey vs The Farmer

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
"We don't want to quit, we were forced out of the business. We can't spend enough money to comply," he said. "We've been farming for 117 years. I'm the third generation and we're being put out of business by the government. We can't comply with all of the safety laws. We haven't poisoned anybody with an ear of corn for 117 years and we've shipped it all over," he said.

"I can fight the bugs, I can fight the lack of rain, but when the guy comes with a clipboard what are you going to do?" Bessemer said.

Bessemer Farms calls it quits, says new farm rules too cumbersome - Top Stories - Ohio

Related:

Mission Accomplished : More Welfare Recipients Than Workers In The US

h/t sda

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
sad, sad, sad sad, force out the little guy in with the big boys

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
Nothing new. I'm surprised they held out this long. Corporations have been putting them out of business and buying up all the family farms since the 60s (at least). Corporate dictatorship and Capitalism at its finest.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
I don't see the problem here. Food safety SHOULD be of utmost importance, and considering the number of recalls for fresh vegetables over the last few years, this is all a good idea. I see that only one farmer has decided, not to quit, but to change his crop. So, him stating that he is "quitting" is bullshyte. He has decided that he can make more money growing a single crop then what he was doing before having to have his food audited and inspected. Plenty of other "small farms" in the area taking up the slack and are willing to implement the new safety protocols.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
I don't see the problem here. Food safety SHOULD be of utmost importance, and considering the number of recalls for fresh vegetables over the last few years, this is all a good idea. I see that only one farmer has decided, not to quit, but to change his crop. So, him stating that he is "quitting" is bullshyte. He has decided that he can make more money growing a single crop then what he was doing before having to have his food audited and inspected. Plenty of other "small farms" in the area taking up the slack and are willing to implement the new safety protocols.

Doesn't matter, Obama's fault. Didn't you see the thread title?

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
First of all this is not confined to the United States. In Canada we have had these
rules for a few years now. In fact in some cases our rules are or will be tougher
than theirs. The reason is many of our farmers are involved with selling to Europe
and Europe Gap is much tougher.
I have a book of things that must be done and done to the letter if I want to sell my
apples theses are the rules. Some people can't adapt to the new ways and they drop
out.
The problem is most of this is useless in the long run as they have little to do with food
safety we as farmers are paying for one upmanship our food safety is better than their
food safety and that is a problem. Food safety is payment for past sins in a different
climate the consumer is demanding more and they are not ready to pay more.
This guy doesn't like change and he won't change so he will go out of business we live
in a different social climate now and we have to adapt.
I think food safety is good because if I do what I have said I am doing and I have it
documented I won't be sued and today that is important.

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
From the comments:

You figured it out. Yep, after 117 years of farming his family was waiting for the perfect time to make a political decision. About a half million people die from smoking in this country a year...the Obama administration decides it's better to tackle the 3K who die from foodborne diseases. Let's make food more expensive with more governmental controls...that's a great idea. Let's put so many controls on the handling of vegetables from farms that no one can afford vegetables. People have been eating vegetables for 1,000s of years without having to have the government monitor how seeds are being handled. FORWARD!

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Big Govt. works hand in hand with Big Business against Workers and Small Business. Only Big Business is capable of dealing with the regulatory demands of Big Govt.

No, what we have here is an old fart that doesn't want to change with the times..... I'd also like to point out, that this big mouthed shyte could very easily fall outside the regs and not have to be inspected. All he needs to do is not sell to Acme and only sell from his own farm stand..... which he already owns....and employed about 30 people that he laid off when HE closed it down.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What corporate farms are producing is a facsimile of food. Organic food: what our grandparents call food. If people want good healthy food, they need to grow it themselves because the bottom line is the only motivation of corporations. And they don't give a shyte if you get sick or die. Government regulations are designed by corporations, who own the politicians, and is not so much about safety as maximizing profits while eliminating the competition. People need to take back control of their food supply. Buy locally grown produce and meat if you can't grow it yourself. Support your community. Screw Jimmy Pattison and the corporate food chains.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
What corporate farms are producing is a facsimile of food. Organic food: what our grandparents call food. If people want good healthy food, they need to grow it themselves because the bottom line is the only motivation of corporations. And they don't give a shyte if you get sick or die. Government regulations are designed by corporations, who own the politicians, and is not so much about safety as maximizing profits while eliminating the competition. People need to take back control of their food supply. Buy locally grown produce and meat if you can't grow it yourself. Support your community. Screw Jimmy Pattison and the corporate food chains.

This isn't about corporate farms, but nice deflection.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What is a Corporate farm Cliffy?

Do you want to know?

It is ANYBODY who turns a nickel from their crops or livestock.

My great and grandparents were corporate farmers starting 125 years ago in Canada.
corporate pioneers, Sodbusters Inc.

The Jew part of the family got into corporate mercantile and grain trading and bean counting.

Why haven't you set up Cliffy LLC yet?

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
But then; there is this rebuttal someone wrote in the comments section:

""July 9, 2013 at 9:45 am
Shame on you Steve. A cherry picking article with guesses and estimates. How many of those “worthless” people are kids or seniors who worked their whole lives and now need a little help in retirement? Why only private sector employment? Why not all employed people? Last I saw that was 160 million +. At least they pointed out there could be many people in multiple programs. When you link to pathetic articles like this you are no better than those cherry picking warmists we all despise so much.Reply ""

Why not all employed people........?............Because it would show the article to be tainted, poorly written and thought out..........A political piece if you will..............or even if you won't.

We on CC might call the author a troll...............or not.

whatever.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
What is a Corporate farm Cliffy?

Do you want to know?

It is ANYBODY who turns a nickel from their crops or livestock.

My great and grandparents were corporate farmers starting 125 years ago in Canada.
corporate pioneers, Sodbusters Inc.

The Jew part of the family got into corporate mercantile and grain trading and bean counting.

Why haven't you set up Cliffy LLC yet?
No, I'm talking about the hundreds of family farms that could not compete against big corporate run farms (publicly traded) that bought out all those family farms and turned them into one crop mega farms. The same types of corporations that "stole" millions of acres of family farms in third world countries like Guatemala that grew a variety of crops on small self sufficient family farms that now only grow one. Corporations like the United Fruit Company that used US back dictators to steal farms from peasant Mayan farmers to grow bananas or pineapples. That was happening in Quebec before I left where one of these maga farms took up one whole county.

Last edited:

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
I, for one, are outraged!

:lol::lol:

Good one, Zip: Pogo strikes again.!

No, what we have here is an old fart that doesn't want to change with the times..... I'd also like to point out, that this big mouthed shyte could very easily fall outside the regs and not have to be inspected. All he needs to do is not sell to Acme and only sell from his own farm stand..... which he already owns....and employed about 30 people that he laid off when HE closed it down.

voila, eh !! A good reason to give to your employees...............so they won't burn your goddam barns and house.

At 70, perhaps he should be looking to retire, and sell his business............................woops!!............could be the reason.

or not.

Regardless; sounds like a bullshyte artice. something which the CBC might print on a slow day.