Why are so many US government documents classified?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Article asks:"Why are so many US government documents classified?" Short answer: ██. Long answer: █████████████████████████████

Senators Mark Udall and Ron Wyden are upset about something, they just can't say what. In a letter sent to the National Security Agency this week about a fact sheet on its surveillance programs, the senators complained about what they refer to only as "the inaccuracy". The inaccuracy is "significant". The inaccuracy could "decrease public confidence in the NSA's openness and its commitment to protecting Americans' constitutional rights". But, because the information underlying it is classified, the inaccuracy can't be described.

This is either a frustrating illustration of the absurdities of America's secrecy regime, or the start of a pretty solid vaudeville act.

more

The real concern: why are so many US government documents classified? | Ronan Farrow | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

h/t Fark

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Because it's what you wanted.

The Gov. would like to thank you for your Muzzie hatred which has empowered them to attack you.

As a Libertarian, what do you plan on doing about it?

They've Gott you where they want you. ;)

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Why are so many U.S. government documents classified?

Shot in the dark here....because they don't want you to know stuff????

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Let "them" follow me around, watch my every move, intercept every text message, email or phone conversation. You know what'll happen?

They'll be very, very bored.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Plain ans simple to me. When you are up to no good why snitch on yourself? Look at the US history. Did Bill tell us he was getting regular BJ's from Monica when Hillary the ice cold Mackeral would play wife? How about Kennedy when he made his Hollywood trips to see Marilyn. What is the difference? Now we have slaughters of US personnel in nefarious ways and no one knows a thing. Funny, isn't it! All relate to being Felony Stupid and we have no law to address that issue.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
I know why but if I told you I'd have to kill you............

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
So good to see right wingers finally seeing the light and agreeing that there is too much power in Washington DC. Funny thing is that when patriots condemned the FBI, NSA, and IRS for doing any of that they were branded as traitors and worse.

But watch - if a Republican goes into the White House and engages in the same activity these delusional right wingers will come up with an endless array of excuses as to why it's all a good idea.

Guaranteed!

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Article asks:"Why are so many US government documents classified?" Short answer: ██. Long answer: █████████████████████████████

Senators Mark Udall and Ron Wyden are upset about something, they just can't say what. In a letter sent to the National Security Agency this week about a fact sheet on its surveillance programs, the senators complained about what they refer to only as "the inaccuracy". The inaccuracy is "significant". The inaccuracy could "decrease public confidence in the NSA's openness and its commitment to protecting Americans' constitutional rights". But, because the information underlying it is classified, the inaccuracy can't be described.

This is either a frustrating illustration of the absurdities of America's secrecy regime, or the start of a pretty solid vaudeville act.

more

The real concern: why are so many US government documents classified? | Ronan Farrow | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

h/t Fark
Used to be a pretty funny sitcom on the BBC called "Yes, Minister." and then when the "Minister" became "Prime Minister", the title changed to "Yes, Prime Minister". Couple of the episodes had security as the theme. Frackin hilarious and the phobic American machine reminds me a lot of those sitcoms (so does Canuckville's machine, for that matter).

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So good to see right wingers finally seeing the light and agreeing that there is too much power in Washington DC. Funny thing is that when patriots condemned the FBI, NSA, and IRS for doing any of that they were branded as traitors and worse.

But watch - if a Republican goes into the White House and engages in the same activity these delusional right wingers will come up with an endless array of excuses as to why it's all a good idea.

Guaranteed!

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Your responses are a broken record. I bet you still support the patriot act.

His responses are just that - highly emotional rants filled with hate but totally lacking in substance. He has been defeated in every debate here but doesn't have enough character or honesty to admit to his losses.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
its also racist. blackout. ;) speaking of blackout, if the alien phenomenon was not real, then why blackout the alien government documents? :confused: