Is This Ad Campaign Racist?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
Left coast Dem all up in arms and stuff. Even wrote a letter to the FBI expressing his um, 'deep concern' about this. :lol:

Our boy:

U.S. Rep. Derp McDermott, D-Seattle,

What a moron.

Anyway, let's see why this dude is whining:

In a letter to the FBI requesting they pull the campaign from Seattle buses, McDermott sounds off on what he says is “offensive to Muslims and ethnic minorities” and “encourages racial and religious profiling.”

The ad shows sixteen faces of wanted terrorists, all of whom appear to be from predominantly Muslim regions. McDermott calls foul, writing that the FBI’s Most Wanted Terrorists list includes people of other races and “associations with other religions and causes.”

“But their faces are missing from this campaign,” he writes.

“The...ad will likely only serve to exacerbate the disturbing trend against Middle Eastern, South Asian and Muslim Americans.”

The ad is the work of the Puget Sound Joint Terrorism Task Force, and are part of the U.S. Department of State’s Rewards for Justice Program.

As downtown news blog Fifth Avenue Seattle reported on June 4, the program is offering $25 million in rewards for information leading to the terror suspects' arrests. (A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that the ad campaign itself cost $25 million.)

We are trying to reach someone with the FBI to get comment on their purported dastardly-ness, but the news release announcing the program put it like this:

“Members of Seattle’s community have time and time again shown themselves to be concerned about protecting their families, their neighbors, and their freedom. Many despicable plots from illicit drug trafficking to violent acts of terrorism have come to the FBI’s attention because vigilant Seattleites came forward with a tip.”

Seattle News and Events | Is This Ad Campaign Racist?

FBI — Most Wanted Terrorists

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It's an invitation to some myopic gun-nut to kill the corner grocer. Not cool.

Thank you for your "contribution" to the discussion.

Please cite a SINGLE instance where a gun owner has killed any innocent person, thinking he was on the FBI's Most Wanted List, pictures of whom are displayed in public, and have been for decades.

In future, please think before you post.

*falls on the floor laughing*

I wish I could say the same, but I've reached and passed my MSTL. (maximum stupidity tolerance level).

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
What is wrong with this ad? many have sometimes accused me of being a lefty and
in some cases its justified, At other times I am more conservative. Are these not the
actual faces of some terrorists? If so the shoe fits. Are we saying the general public
can't tell the difference between the picture of a terrorist and a grocery store owner?
Either the person viewing the picture is stupid and that is profiling in itself, they are
quietly saying one group all looks the same, ouch.
Then there is the problem of how many terrorists who have acted out are there? How
many are minorities and how many are not? I don't see a lot of Pentecostal terrorists.
I don't see too many church of England Terrorists or Catholic terrorists. Or raging
Buddhists.
I see the loads of Muslim Terrorists though not all Muslims are terrorists. Its just the
majority of Muslims remain silent on the issue so its not the people profiling them in
a category its the peaceful folks themselves not saying enough is enough so all we
see is the radical element.
Of course there are others Tim McVEigh was a terrorist, yes a white guy (lets have the
courage to say it, white guy) And the Westboro Baptist Church crowd, no not officially
terrorists but they are crazies and they are very offensive people in their own right.
I don't think it incites people to violence, and it is an editorial opinion. I personally
think is a little over the top, but not racist cause it is factual and though uncomfortable
to some it is not really all that offensive either I have seen worse.
The best way to rid ourselves of this kind of ad is to have the great silent majority to
speak up and condemn the radicals. When that happens we won't see theses kinds
of ads. This ad too shall pass

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Racist?

What do these numpties expect to see on a poster about Islamist terrorists? White little old ladies?

I've got common sense so I know that on a poster about Islamist terrorists most of the faces are going to be of Muslims.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If any white people were to appear on such a poster the chances are they would be Muslim converts.
yeah check out Colpy's piece on what happened to that poor convert, makes my blood boil

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
If any white people were to appear on such a poster the chances are they would be Muslim converts.

Until we see buses with forking bankers plastered on them we can be certain the plasterers are not serious about controlling terrorism, in fact they are playing in the B- Leagues.

They would most assuredly be BOE employees. Do you read Englands papers? Until bankers are chained to stone walls there will be no reduction of terrorism.

Palindrome

Nominee Member
May 14, 2013
Okay, what is the poster really for? What are American citizens expected to do? How are they expected to stop a terrorist? Are those guys in the very poor quality pictures walking around the streets of Seattle?

There is no shortage of stupid people, anywhere in the world, including Seattle. There is certainly no shortage of people who could use some money. It doesn't give a table of rewards, but presumably the full $25M is for the actual bodies, with many lesser prizes for information about somebody you think might be doing something suspicious.

Which is more likely to happen: 1. somebody actually brings in a famous terrorist or 2. lots of people tattle on their innocent neighbours?