Employers will be allowed to ask for Facebook Passwords

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Legislation Preventing Employers From Asking for Facebook Passwords Defeated

A last-minute proposed amendment to the Cyber Information Sharing and Protection Act that would have made it illegal for employers or the federal government to ask for employees' or prospective employees' Facebook passwords was defeated in the House of Representatives 224-188 along party lines, with Republicans knocking it down.

Legislation Preventing Employers From Asking for Facebook Passwords Defeated - US News and World Report

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
That's funny, especially since the Whitehouse said...

"The administration still seeks additional improvements and if the bill, as currently crafted, were presented to the president, his senior advisers would recommend that he veto the bill," the White House said in a statement released to reporters.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC

"The administration still seeks additional improvements and if the bill, as currently crafted, were presented to the president, his senior advisers would recommend that he veto the bill," the White House said in a statement released to reporters.
Hmmm. Chicken Little is at it again, eh!

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Legislation Preventing Employers From Asking for Facebook Passwords Defeated

A last-minute proposed amendment to the Cyber Information Sharing and Protection Act that would have made it illegal for employers or the federal government to ask for employees' or prospective employees' Facebook passwords was defeated in the House of Representatives 224-188 along party lines, with Republicans knocking it down.

Legislation Preventing Employers From Asking for Facebook Passwords Defeated - US News and World Report

That's ridiculous, next thing we know there will be discrimination against employees who don't use Facebook.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
A couple of people in Texas (from the explosion) have said they can not yet access their dead children's account to turn it off. Can we not reach some kind of compromise?

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

It's still Harper's fault

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
If I gave it to them and changed it immediately? This just sounds all wrong. I can see them asking for your facebook and twitter handles but why on earth would they want or need your password?
But Facebook knows your password. They can access your account at will.

As for employers, it would depend upon what kind of employment you were engaged in I guess.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
If I gave it to them and changed it immediately? This just sounds all wrong. I can see them asking for your facebook and twitter handles but why on earth would they want or need your password?

I know bugger all about it, but maybe it is justified for jobs involving high security, but for the janitor at Timmy's it is ridiculous!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I know bugger all about it, but maybe it is justified for jobs involving high security, but for the janitor at Timmy's it is ridiculous!
and a super waste of time in reality... they go on and on about employers checking those sites...yes I used to do so too at first, but really I was hiring people that were just there to sell, so what if they partied and publicly puked mentally physically or emotionally, I wasn't hiring a rocket scientist... However, IF you attempting to hire for important team building, it would give you a clue...but actually I think they would be more inclined not to hire someone who had few to no friends not someone who partied and carried on.

You can tell about emotional stability by reading their wall and how they interact and who they hang with. That's just reality.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
and a super waste of time in reality... they go on and on about employers checking those sites...yes I used to do so too at first, but really I was hiring people that were just there to sell, so what if they partied and publicly puked mentally physically or emotionally, I wasn't hiring a rocket scientist... However, IF you attempting to hire for important team building, it would give you a clue...but actually I think they would be more inclined not to hire someone who had few to no friends not someone who partied and carried on.

You can tell about emotional stability by reading their wall and how they interact and who they hang with. That's just reality.

There are some jobs where it's mandatory one can keep his/her mouth shut, and I suppose Facebook is one place where the blabbers can be ferreted out. -:)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
There are some jobs where it's mandatory one can keep his/her mouth shut, and I suppose Facebook is one place where the blabbers can be ferreted out. -:)
that's a good point, because frankly some people post EVERY aspect of their life, or at least they appear to...if they are NOT posting every aspect of their drama, they are even more messed than they appear because that means there is even MORE crap happening in their world.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
that's a good point, because frankly some people post EVERY aspect of their life, or at least they appear to...if they are NOT posting every aspect of their drama, they are even more messed than they appear because that means there is even MORE crap happening in their world.

You got that right, kiddo! Is it possible to go on Facebook with a nom de plume? (you have to excuse my ignorance about Facebook)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
You got that right, kiddo! Is it possible to go on Facebook with a nom de plume? (you have to excuse my ignorance about Facebook)
yes it is....I did with my first account when I was just checking the place out. It serves little to no purpose though if you are on there to use it as a social medium because if you aren't who you are, you can't hook up with anyone who knows you.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yes it is....I did with my first account when I was just checking the place out. It serves little to no purpose though if you are on there to use it as a social medium because if you aren't who you are, you can't hook up with anyone who knows you.

So you start two accounts one for chit chat with friends and one (with nom de plume) for when you want to be an A$$hole. -:)

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
So you start two accounts one for chit chat with friends and one (with nom de plume) for when you want to be an A$$hole. -:)
yeah I guess you could do that, but it isn't like a debate forum, people do post political stuff and gun support but for the most part it's just games and family/friend sharing. I have connected with people now that were from kindergarten, it's great for that and I have met people from all over the world through the games, and when you no longer play the games you keep the friends and stay in touch with them...just had one die a few weeks back and you miss seeing them posting etc...It allows one to touch base quickly with how people are doing.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
yeah I guess you could do that, but it isn't like a debate forum, people do post political stuff and gun support but for the most part it's just games and family/friend sharing. I have connected with people now that were from kindergarten, it's great for that and I have met people from all over the world through the games, and when you no longer play the games you keep the friends and stay in touch with them...just had one die a few weeks back and you miss seeing them posting etc...It allows one to touch base quickly with how people are doing.

I'm old fashioned (well not strictly speaking)-:) I prefer email for chat, gossip etc.