Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
<H2>Amendment bars abortion in Va federal exchange
Tuesday - 3/26/2013, 11:39am ET

BOB LEWIS
AP Political Writer

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- Gov. Bob McDonnell wants to prohibit abortion coverage through insurance plans purchased through the federally run health care exchange that will serve Virginia.
The Republican governor added the amendment to health reform legislation that passed the General Assembly earlier this year, outraging abortion rights advocates.
Unless opponents can muster at least 51 votes in the 100-member, Republican-ruled House of Delegates and 21 votes in the state Senate, the sweeping abortion restriction will become law.
Under the amendment, not only will insurers who are part of the federal exchange be unable to offer plans that cover abortion, they can't write separate, optional riders covering it.
The only coverage exceptions would be for rape, incest or protect the life of a pregnant woman.
</H2>Amendment bars abortion in Va federal exchange - WTOP.com

I've never understood the exceptions.

It appears to me that IF one believes that foeti have human and Constitutional rights and abortion is therefore murder, does it not then follow that permitting abortion in the case of rape and/or incest is legally the exact same thing as permitting me to walk up to a 27-year-old who was conceived in rape and/or incest and blowing his brains out?

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
</H2>Amendment bars abortion in Va federal exchange - WTOP.com

I've never understood the exceptions.

It appears to me that IF one believes that foeti have human and Constitutional rights and abortion is therefore murder, does it not then follow that permitting abortion in the case of rape and/or incest is legally the exact same thing as permitting me to walk up to a 27-year-old who was conceived in rape and/or incest and blowing his brains out?

While I don't support rape abortion, and would prefer to see effective rape counseling, etc., rape puts a woman's life in danger a way a normal unwanted pregnancy doesn't. THAT is the reason. It's not about punishing the baby, it's about the mother's suicide risk.