GOP'er didn't notice which team son was playing for............

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Republican U.S. Sen. Rob Portman on Thursday announced he has reversed his longtime opposition to same-sex marriage after reconsidering the issue because his 21-year-old son, Will, is gay.

Portman said he decided to announce his change of heart on Thursday because he anticipates getting questions on the issue in view of the upcoming U.S. Supreme Court arguments over gay marriage. He said he does not plan to sign onto any legal briefs on the case.

Sen. Rob Portman comes out in favor of gay marriage after son comes out as gay | cleveland.com

Christianna

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2012
I love how republicans can be counted on to approve some social measure when they personally are affected. Like Mrs Reagan decided stem cell research might help her Ronnie, and her Ronnie worked to see the Brady Bill passed after he and Brady were shot.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Good for him.

Sometimes people just won't get it, until it hits home and they realize, homosexuals are just people, just like themselves.

I love how republicans can be counted on to approve some social measure when they personally are affected.
Republicans? Try humans can be counted on to approve some social measure when they personally are affected.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
For years and years the Mayor of Boston would not do anything about the homeless problem in the Boston Commons. Then he got sick and had to get a room at the Parker House so he could be closer to City Hall instead of commuting from his place across the city. When he had to be in daily contact with them he had them cleared right out of the Commons.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
Here it is called the P, B and J Society. Pack Butt and Jamb. The GOP has other members too. There here, there queer and they are here to stay!

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
lol A politician being confronted face-to-face by a fact of humanity and switching opinions because of it. Shocking. lol

Well, maybe there are SOME politicians that have some sort of integrity.
Most politicians are like weather vanes, they go with the wind wherever it blows......;-)

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
I've always thought the GOP chose to represent 'social conservatism' as a tool to lock up a voter demographic.. in the (so called) religious right.

Their real agenda is economic libertarianism.. and social libertarianism.. they are radically against any economic or moral government intrusion into the 'private sector'. Which if you take to its logical end, means they are against the government stipulating controls on such things as marriage, abortion, euthenasia.. and so on.

So this is no surprise... it is only surprising that the GOP allowed its duplicity to be broadcast in this way. But i guess after the last election they might have deemed the religious voters as of insufficient clout to support anymore.. and are looking for more reliable 'partners'. :roll:

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I give the guy respect for supporting his son, not all would, or do. Essentially he put his son before his career. Funny thing is, it will just boost him, sometimes karma is a wonderful thing.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I give the guy respect for supporting his son, not all would, or do. Essentially he put his son before his career. Funny thing is, it will just boost him, sometimes karma is a wonderful thing.

VP Cheney did.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I've always thought the GOP chose to represent 'social conservatism' as a tool to lock up a voter demographic.. in the (so called) religious right.

Their real agenda is economic libertarianism.. and social libertarianism.. they are radically against any economic or moral government intrusion into the 'private sector'. Which if you take to its logical end, means they are against the government stipulating controls on such things as marriage, abortion, euthenasia.. and so on.

So this is no surprise... it is only surprising that the GOP allowed its duplicity to be broadcast in this way. But i guess after the last election they might have deemed the religious voters as of insufficient clout to support anymore.. and are looking for more reliable 'partners'. :roll:
lol Aren'tcha kinda painting the entire party with the same color as the impression you got from ONE member of the GOP? "The real agenda"? lmao You crack me up sometimes.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Personally.. i don't think you are doing your kid any favours by validating a lifestyle choice that will produce nothing but misery, disease and corruption in his life.

It is a choice, as all behaviours are. There is nothing inevitable about it. It is NOT a genetically or naturally mandated 'condition'. It is a function of the will.

It's like validating drug addiction or some criminal behaviour... just saying 'give up' and let your most superficial gratifications rule your life and your fate.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Personally.. i don't think you are doing your kid any favours by validating a lifestyle choice that will produce nothing but misery, disease and corruption in his life.

It is a choice, as all behaviours are. There is nothing inevitable about it. It is NOT a genetically or naturally mandated 'condition'. It is a function of the will.

It's like validating drug addiction or some criminal behaviour... just saying 'give up' and let your most superficial gratifications rule your life and your fate.
Science disagrees with you.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
lol Aren'tcha kinda painting the entire party with the same color as the impression you got from ONE member of the GOP? "The real agenda"? lmao You crack me up sometimes.

Well you look at the nitwits that have led that party.. Nixon, Reagan, Bush (sr. and jr.).. for the last 40 years and its hard to much redeeming character in the party. I left out John McCain because i have some grudging respect for him as charting some independent policy proposals.. but he'd have been a disaster in the economic situation following the 2008 financial collapse. Not that the Democrats have been any better.. or any different for that matter.. both parties are in the back pocket of the Global investment organism.

Last edited:

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

.........in your opinion. So far, nature and science disagrees with your opinion.

just saying 'give up' and let your most superficial gratifications rule your life and your fate.
... and the harm in that is ...?

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Tay- Since when has Team been assigned to a persons sexual orientation- Is it to slam the Republicans and the father.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island

You must have got that batch of BS from some homophobe fundie. Not a single word is true.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
Science disagrees with you.

right... i guess that would come from the same laboratory that gave us superstrings.. 11 dimensions, no substance.. certainly no utility.. a cosmological fantasy world... there's simply no limits to the absurdity that is credible.. in a collapsing civilization. Oswald Spengler predicted it all 90 years ago in Decline of the West.

Last edited: