Where are the gun permits in your neighborhood?

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
New York Newspaper Publishes Name And Address Of Every Handgun Owner In Westchester And Rockland Counties…

via Zip:

Blatant intimidation. Below is a screenshot of their map, if you hover over each red dot it displays the name and address of the person licensed to own a handgun.

Via the Gannett-owned Journal News:
The map indicates the addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester and Rockland counties. Each dot represents an individual permit holder licensed to own a handgun — a pistol or revolver. The data does not include owners of long guns — rifles or shotguns — which can be purchased without a permit. Being included in this map does not mean the individual at a specific location owns a weapon, just that they are licensed to do so.

Data for all permit categories, unrestricted carry, premises, business, employment, target and hunting, is included, but permit information is not available on an individual basis.

To create the map, The Journal News submitted Freedom of Information requests for the names and addresses of all pistol permit holders in Westchester, Rockland and Putnam. By state law, the information is public record.
Keep reading…

New York Newspaper Publishes Name And Address Of Every Handgun Owner In Westchester And Rockland Counties… | Weasel Zippers

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
too bad for the criminals, er, the other criminals at least, that it's not a map to all the unregistered guns. That is, if they use it in the more likely scenario of showing which addresses not to rob!

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Something about this does not sit right with me. I understand the intent behind the exposure but it appears to be yet one more intrusion on the rights of a citizen legally abiding by all laws in his/her country. These people have become targets. Bad move, not well though out at all.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Right, because they'd be stealing from the other nutbars and criminals.
If it's that easy to register and own a handgun, what's the point in not owning and registering one unless you have criminal intent?

I'm not sure if I get the intent of your post. In any case, the Donald has a CCW permit and his address may show up in one of those screen shots, we all may consider him a nutbar, but I don't think he has criminal intent. In NYC it is very hard to get a pistol permit, let alone a CCW permit so I doubt anyone with criminal intent would even apply for one, they don't need one because by definition criminals don't obey the law. My point would be that if one in five dwellings have armed occupants, that would be quite a deterrent, unless you know which one in five have armed occupants.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I'd be considering a class action suit.

This is the very reason I had a problem with the registry.

This is the very same kind of breach that hard copy paperwork left behind counters in Canadian Tire stores created. Placing legitimate gun owners at risk.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
I'd be considering a class action suit.

This is the very reason I had a problem with the registry.

This is the very same kind of breach that hard copy paperwork left behind counters in Canadian Tire stores created. Placing legitimate gun owners at risk.
Have you also considered that it might act as a deterrent for young hoodlums that know that a certain resident has a handgun at the ready?
I have this gun collector friend that has dozens upon dozens of old military rifles and pistols in his house. I wouldn't dare walk into his house unanounced.....I even call ahead when I go and visit.......:lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Have you also considered that it might act as a deterrent for young hoodlums that know that a certain resident has a handgun at the ready?
Yes, but being a young hoodlum doesn't denote intelligence, commonsense or reason.

I have this gun collector friend that has dozens upon dozens of old military rifles and pistols in his house. I wouldn't dare walk into his house unanounced.....I even call ahead when I go and visit.......:lol:
I'd put money on the fact that my Daisey is a greater deterrent than my weapons.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
When I first read that, the picture that came to my mind, of you answering the door with a daisy bb gun in your hand made me choke on my coffee:lol:
LOL!

No, but the furry face is usually at my side when I answer the door.

The nose prints on the window let me know she's greeting visitors during the day when we're not home too.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Ah, let's see:

Going down a block close to us:

no gun

gun

gun

gun

unknown

nope

cross the street and go back up

gun

gun

no gun

farmland.

Yep, we got the guns.

Probably no pistols, but lots of shotguns and rifles.

One guy has a sign on his door: "residence protected by shotgun three nights a week. You guess."

We used to get a lot of "walk throughs" where the druggies and downers would actually case the places. We started to watch them and made sure they saw us watching. Kind of a loosely knit Neighbourhood Watch. No poker clubs or anything; just watching each others backs.

The walkers quit

Not an upscale hood but a nice blue collar one. Flower gardens, guys who work, all that stuff.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I'm not sure if I get the intent of your post. In any case, the Donald has a CCW permit and his address may show up in one of those screen shots, we all may consider him a nutbar, but I don't think he has criminal intent. In NYC it is very hard to get a pistol permit, let alone a CCW permit so I doubt anyone with criminal intent would even apply for one, they don't need one because by definition criminals don't obey the law. My point would be that if one in five dwellings have armed occupants, that would be quite a deterrent, unless you know which one in five have armed occupants.
Speaking as a Canadian, I bet it's a lot easier to even a handgun license, let alone carry a handgun in NY than it is in Canada.

NY license app.:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/HandGunLicenseApplicationFormsComplete.pdf

NY carrying:
http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/newyork.pdf

Canada license app,:
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5592-eng.pdf
and Canadian Firearms Safety Course - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Carrying:
Authorizations to Carry Restricted Firearms and Certain Handguns Regulations

For Joe Average, it looks easier in NY than Canada. Dimes to donuts, in Canada if you manage to get a carry permit, the cops watch you like a vulture; at least until they the take it for granted you're harmless. In NY, it appears as if they couldn't give a hoot as long as you stick to the "t"s and "dotted 'i's", if you get stopped by a cop. Most people are pretty honest, even if a little careless sometimes.

Speaking as a Canadian, I bet it's a lot easier to get even a handgun license, let alone carry a handgun in NY than it is in Canada.

NY license app.:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloads/pdf/permits/HandGunLicenseApplicationFormsComplete.pdf

NY carrying:

Canada license app,:

Carrying:

For Joe Average, it looks easier in NY than Canada. Dimes to donuts, in Canada if you manage to get a carry permit, the cops watch you like a vulture; at least until they the take it for granted you're harmless. In NY, it appears as if they couldn't give a hoot as long as you stick to the "t"s and "dotted 'i's", if you get stopped by a cop. Most people are pretty honest, even if a little careless sometimes. So like I was asking Mercury55, what's the point in not following the rules if you have no criminal intent to use a handgun for something nefarious? If all you want is some sort of protection in NY, I'm sure a shotgun would be pretty effective, even if it is a bit bulkier.

NYS Gun Laws | NY Firearms - New York Firearm & Gun Ownership, Laws, Politics, Weapons | NY Firearms

Transporting Firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Anyway, what that newspaper (and that blogger) did was pretty freaking stupid.

bobnoorduyn

Council Member
Nov 26, 2008
Mountain Veiw County
Speaking as a Canadian, I bet it's a lot easier to even a handgun license, let alone carry a handgun in NY than it is in Canada.

NY license app.:

NY carrying:

Canada license app,:

Carrying:

For Joe Average, it looks easier in NY than Canada. Dimes to donuts, in Canada if you manage to get a carry permit, the cops watch you like a vulture; at least until they the take it for granted you're harmless. In NY, it appears as if they couldn't give a hoot as long as you stick to the "t"s and "dotted 'i's", if you get stopped by a cop. Most people are pretty honest, even if a little careless sometimes.

Speaking as a Canadian, I bet it's a lot easier to get even a handgun license, let alone carry a handgun in NY than it is in Canada.

NY license app.:

NY carrying:

Canada license app,:

Carrying:

For Joe Average, it looks easier in NY than Canada. Dimes to donuts, in Canada if you manage to get a carry permit, the cops watch you like a vulture; at least until they the take it for granted you're harmless. In NY, it appears as if they couldn't give a hoot as long as you stick to the "t"s and "dotted 'i's", if you get stopped by a cop. Most people are pretty honest, even if a little careless sometimes. So like I was asking Mercury55, what's the point in not following the rules if you have no criminal intent to use a handgun for something nefarious? If all you want is some sort of protection in NY, I'm sure a shotgun would be pretty effective, even if it is a bit bulkier.

NYS Gun Laws | NY Firearms - New York Firearm & Gun Ownership, Laws, Politics, Weapons | NY Firearms

Wow, you have a lot of hoops to jump through in NYC. Plus you have to pay $400 which is non refundable, I assume that includes if you are denied.

It is possible to get a CCW permit in Canada but unfortuately you can no longer do it through the local police dept, another level of bureaucracy has been added and some far away pencil pusher ultimately decides whether he or she will qualify you based on your need. In any case, the cost of the license is $80 for 5 years, the cost of an Authorization to transport $0. The last time I applied for one in person I put 10 minutes on the meter expecting to just drop off the paperwork, but I had my ATT in hand and got back to my car with 4 minutes to spare.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,

NY license app.:

NY carrying:

Canada license app,:

Carrying:

And I might add, that in Ontario at least, One must go through a fairly extensive course and testing, promoted by the Ontario Handgun Association.
Myzer.com: Wilderness Handgun Safety Course

In my case the course and testing was done by the Timmins chief of police, an accredited firearms instructor.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Wow, you have a lot of hoops to jump through in NYC. Plus you have to pay $400 which is non refundable, I assume that includes if you are denied.

It is possible to get a CCW permit in Canada but unfortuately you can no longer do it through the local police dept, another level of bureaucracy has been added and some far away pencil pusher ultimately decides whether he or she will qualify you based on your need. In any case, the cost of the license is $80 for 5 years, the cost of an Authorization to transport $0. The last time I applied for one in person I put 10 minutes on the meter expecting to just drop off the paperwork, but I had my ATT in hand and got back to my car with 4 minutes to spare.
More hoops in Canada, cheaper maybe. I'm not going to go looking to see how much it costs to take all the required courses, FACs, etc.

And I might add, that in Ontario at least, One must go through a fairly extensive course and testing, promoted by the Ontario Handgun Association.
Myzer.com: Wilderness Handgun Safety Course
It's Canada-wide; being an RCMP jurisdiction.

In my case the course and testing was done by the Timmins chief of police, an accredited firearms instructor.
Yeah, mine was a cop, too. RCMP type.

Spade

Ace Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Aether Island
Do Moslem and Jewish firearm-owners circumcise their guns?
Sign me
Curious

PS
Tried looking it up in "The Goy of Gun Ownership" but the answer wasn't there.