CA to Provide Free Cell Phones for Homeless

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
In California, the unemployment rate may be above 10.2%, and the state debt may be above $16 billion, the state’s GDP may be in serious trouble and businesses may be leaving in droves due to ever-increasing tax rates, but that isn’t going to stop the gravy train for the state’s poor and dispossessed. The California Public Utilities Commission is all set to greenlight a new program that would give homeless and low-income people free cell phones – call them Obamaphones – with free service. The idea is to help them reach out to possible job opportunities and stay connected with family.

more

Paradise Lost: CA to Provide Free Cell Phones for Homeless

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I had to check & see if this was coming from "The Onion"....& it isn't.

From the LINK above:

The state has funded phones for the poor for years, but they were
always hardline phones, not cell phones. The new program will give
beneficiaries some 250 minutes of time and 250 free text messages
every month.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012

From the LINK above:

every month.

- RiR ... Ironically, many if not most of the left wingers get their "news" from such sources as The Onion and The Daily Show with Jon Stewart but no, this story is legit and explains what happens when the Democrats and the monopoly public sector unions get to run a major jurisdiction.

- Up here in the frozen north, Ontario has gone from the economic and fiscal penthouse to the outhouse and its deficit under the departing premier McGuinty who wrestled all collective agreements with Ontario public servants right t the ceiling and got public sector personnel costs up to 55% of the provincial budget and rising is now in the $16 billion area which is the same as California's but with an economy just 1/3 California's size.

- But I hear that your provincial stomping ground has now gone the opposite way and is Canada's most economically dynamic and fiscally sound province with such strengths as a great base of natural resources that everybody else wants and a fiscally disciplined, common sense government that is there for all the people not just for the government unions of Saskatchewan. Is this actually true?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON

From the LINK above:

every month.

What happens when they exceed their limit? 250 texts is not that much.

Will these be iPhone5s or Samsung Galaxy S3s? Certainly we would want the best for our poor and downtrodden.

Wonder how much cash a government issued cell phone will get you at a pawn shop? Wonder if the government will replace?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I's important for the economy. Every homless crack dealer needs a cell phone besides it's a great way to track them.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com
So then it's unanimous....Give Cell phones to low Income/Homeless Californians so they can find Jobs, Be Traced and followed by Big Brother while dealing drugs..Well done guys; you figured it all out.

Now what's that got to do with Canada?....Last time I checked this was CanadianContent.net .. It's getting harder and harder to find a Canadian Thread on this site all the time...I have no problem being North American ..My pop's from Nashville..Got family spread across the globe...But I have noticed that a lot of the spew on this site lately has been a lot of U.S drivel..Nothing productive or substantive at all.. Just a bunch of Gossip and Gabberin'...

Seems the Only thing Canadian on this thread so far is the : CA. in the thread title.

Peace...

Here's your half..
No.1

Oh ...Sorry ...Wrong..Emoticon..
I mean..

;)

Last edited:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So then it's unanimous....Give Cell phones to low Income/Homeless Californians so they can find Jobs, Be Traced and followed by Big Brother while dealing drugs..Well done guys; you figured it all out.

Now what's that got to do with Canada?....Last time I checked this was CanadianContent.net .. It's getting harder and harder to find a Canadian Thread on this site all the time...I have no problem being North American ..My pop's from Nashville..Got family spread across the globe...But I have noticed that a lot of the spew on this site lately has been a lot of U.S drivel..Nothing production or substantive at all.. Just a bunch of Gossip and Gabberin'...

Seems the Only thing Canadian on this thread so far is the : CA. in the thread title.

Peace...

Here's your half..
No.1

I mean..

;)
Canadian news is boring. They lead with freakin' car crashes.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
Now what's that got to do with Canada?....Last time I checked this was CanadianContent.net .. It's getting harder and harder to find a Canadian Thread on this site all the time...
I mean..

- GF ... Perhaps a course in remedial reading and/or in rational thinking is in order for you. Since the name of this particular forum is US-American Politics what else would you expect to see on it other than matters American? Look up above this forum and you will see forums for, respectively, International Politics and (at the very top!) Canadian Politics. If reading about and posting about our closest neighbour, trading partner, friend and ally offends you so much, I suggest you don't read this forum and that you confine yourself to reading and to posting on the Canadian Politics forum.

GreenFish66

House Member
Apr 16, 2008
www.myspace.com

Now what's that got to do with Canada?....Last time I checked this was CanadianContent.net .. It's getting harder and harder to find a Canadian Thread on this site all the time...I have no problem being North American ..My pop's from Nashville..Got family spread across the globe...But I have noticed that a lot of the spew on this site lately has been a lot of U.S drivel..Nothing productive or substantive at all.. Just a bunch of Gossip and Gabberin'...

Peace...

Here's your half..
No.1

I mean..

;)

Seems my thread is right on Target/Topic then..

At the Very Top of the page it says..."CanadianContent"..In Huge Letters..Above that, at the Very..Very Top of the page, says..Canadiancontent.net..

1 thing your right about though TBG ...I should probably go to another thread..;)