Teacher Suspended for Allowing Pro-Gay Song

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
How dare a teacher try to educate the students toward actual issues in life. Playing a song promoting tolerance and against bullying & gay bashing is sooooo unacceptable.

It would seem a complaint by a homophobic student led a homophobic principle and a homophobic administrator to jump head first into a big pool of controversy.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I can't see the video because its blocked at work but was this music class? If not, why was the student playing a song in the first place?

Not sure why teacher would be suspended for the content of the song however.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
It does not have to be a music class it could have been a demonstration of talent within a
classroom setting. Its funny though school is supposed to be about learning and the whole
concept of learning how to learn. Seems education only wants people to learn certain things.
This is another tempest in a teapot. That is except for the fact that even the schools are
now heavily engaged in stifling free speech.
When I was a kid it was not that much different though, I once did an essay comparing Hitler
to Roosevelt and it caused quite a stir. When finished I submitted it and the teacher at first
was upset until he read it in full, I got somewhere near ninety percent but the principal was
outraged. My opinion should be tempered with the current view of society that was a remark
made by an educator. I laughed and asked if he was interested in his own opinion or the
opinions of others if so why have essays written at all.
In this case the education system is the one who should be under question they are reacting
to their own belief system and not in accordance with the principles of education.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
I'm waiting to hear a request for a GLBT National Anthem. They are already asking for a Bill of Rights.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I think it would be difficult for them to write a national anthem cause the name is too long
and they can't make it rhyme

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I can't see the video because its blocked at work but was this music class? If not, why was the student playing a song in the first place?

Not sure why teacher would be suspended for the content of the song however.

Shes the performing arts teacher