Why Big Business Bosses Balk At Barack

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
- Business columnist Gwyn Morgan provides a cautionary tale as to what business and the majority of Americans who still rely on the wealth that business creates can expect during four more years of "The Amateur" Barack Obama as president.

- Basically, Obama's distaste for the private sector is echoed back at him by the private sector's business leaders.

- Combine Obama's ignorance about and demonizing of business with his regulatory witch hunt, his counterproductive union payoffs, his public sector expansion and his spending, tax and borrowing binges and it would be counter-intuitive to expect a resurgence of American business between now and 2016..

- Even if Obama had the right policy mix to re-energize and to help unleash the potential of the US business sector at this time when significant economic growth is the most essential factor in dealing with the US costs and debt burden, the lack of confidence, negativity and in many cases contempt that business leaders rightly have for this president and his administration will also tend to drag down the economy at the time it most needs to perform well.

- Those who are not privileged enough to be safely enscounced in or pensioned off by the public sector can expect a rough four years ahead with the suffering falling disporportionately on those who voted most heavily for Obama, the poor and the visible minorities. And other countries - starting with Canada - will not escape the impact of the poor US economic and fiscal performances of the next four years.

OPINION

Four more years of demonizing American big business

GWYN MORGAN

Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Sunday, Nov. 18 2012, 7:00 PM EST

Last updated Sunday, Nov. 18 2012, 4:04 PM EST

That great whooshing sound heard when markets opened after U.S. President Barack Obama’s re-election was air gushing out of the balloon investors hoped would lift the U.S. private sector out of four years in presidential purgatory.

While Mr. Obama had rightly denounced greedy investment bankers for igniting the 2008 financial crisis, he failed to differentiate between Wall Street’s culprits and the great majority of American businesses that became victims of the ensuing recession. As if this demonization of American business wasn’t demoralizing enough, the Obama administration unleashed a regulatory witch hunt, forcing corporations to focus on costly, unproductive legal defences rather than create jobs.

While railing against companies that were forced to move manufacturing offshore to survive, he introduced legislation making domestic manufacturing even more costly by removing the secret ballot rights of workers facing unionization. Predictably, private sector job growth remained anemic, leaving the White House to rely on deficit spending for economic recovery. But the economic doldrums continue, even after Washington drove up the national debt by 60 per cent to a staggering $16-trillion (U.S.) over the past four years.

Meanwhile, the damage wrought by this fiscal folly is hitting home with a vengeance. Mr. Obama begins his second term with the so called “fiscal cliff” looming on Dec. 31. And what is the likely outcome of efforts to avoid that fiscal cliff? Continuing to borrow and spend at a reckless pace, setting the nation on course to add yet at another $1-trillion of federal debt in 2013.

There is much to admire about Mr. Obama’s personal traits. He is a good husband and father, he genuinely cares about people, and he really wants to do the right thing. The same can be said of Mitt Romney. What separates the two is how to achieve the best result for the American people. And that has largely been shaped by their contrasting life experiences.

Mr. Obama, a former civil rights lawyer and university professor, has never worked in the private sector. Perhaps that’s at the root of his skepticism and mistrust of what he derisively calls “big business” and why he believes that only government spending can fuel economic growth.

Mr. Romney, on the other hand, spent his prepolitical career figuring out how to turn around beleaguered private sector businesses. He understands that no country can consume wealth without first creating it. And he knows that unleashing the potential the world’s most innovative and capable private sector is the only way the United States has or ever will rise from the depths of the Great Recession.

Today in the United States, almost one in six survives on government food stamps and, as Mr. Romney infamously stated during the Republican primaries, 47 per cent of Americans don’t earn enough to pay income tax. Mr. Romney’s statement came across as blaming these people, when he should have blamed Mr. Obama’s failure to unleash job creation. The cruellest thing a government can do is make people dependent on public programs that can’t be sustained. Their suffering, when America hits that inevitable debt wall, will be profound. And, like an earthquake, the impact will reverberate most severely in its closest neighbours.

The fiscal cliff will be temporarily avoided through band-aid political compromises, or it will be simply punted down the road by a few months. And the national debt limit will be raised again and again because, with one out of every three dollars of public expenditures financed by borrowing and half of U.S. spending tied to social security entitlements, stopping the growth of the national debt would require cutting more than half of all other spending. The only way to keep from going over that fiscal cliff is private sector job and wealth creation – in other words, growth.

A Romney win would have encouraged that to happen, but it’s hard to be optimistic that Mr. Obama will unleash the potential of American business in the next four years any better than he did in his first term.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Why Big Bosses Balk at Barak....Easy...Big bosses want an a$$ kisser like Romney....

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
Get any tears in your beer?

- LW ... Nah, I'm more of a rye whiskey guy and besides I am retired and in reasonable financial shape albeit not as good as I would have been had I stayed in the public sector in the 1970s instead of resigning out of sheer boredom coupled with a feeling that what I was doing was a collosal waste of time and the people's taxes.

- The folks who'll need tears in their beer are the thousands of relatively young, junior level Canadian employees of companies that count on American export sales to be able to make a profit and continue to employ people.

Why Big Bosses Balk at Barak....Easy...Big bosses want an a$$ kisser like Romney....

- juan ... Well said!

- What America needs to really prosper is some ******* who is ignorant and contemptuous of business who will make things as difficult as possible for business leaders to be able to establish, operate and grow their businesses and to employ people in them!

- The last thing America needs to re-energize the business sector which finances the rest of the economy is someone who has a brilliant, proven track record in rescuing, turning around and growing businesses in a cross section of industries and circumstances.

- Have I ever told you how, err, deep I think you are, juan.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
I read this as a supposed document that would be educational. Instead I got more of the
same excuses why people should not cooperate with the duly elected government of the
United States of America. Many forget, Obama is a millionaire who likely has significant
investments in the companies he supposedly hates. Being an amateur is not correct
either he is a lawyer if i am not mistaken.
Business has ruled America for many years, but the fact is it is supposed to be a constitutional
democracy where the collective will of the people through an election that are supposed to set
the agenda. This time the business interests won just as much as anyone else. Many business
leaders supported Obama, in addition notable people like Christie the former governor of Florida
supported Obama, Colin Powell supported Obama. There were others as well.
Obama has to reign in some of these business interests they drove this country to near collapse
with their out of control antics. They behave like economic vultures with the advent of deregulation,
they looked after personal interests by dismantling the factories and sending them to China a total
dictatorship that is foreign to our values. The fact is business in many cases no longer has any
real values or ethics both ways. First they build their factories in countries with no human rights
and secondly they are prepared to sell you shoddy goods devoid of quality. It is time someone said
enough and Obama is the one who finally decided to take some action.
In short Obama is not an amateur and he has financial experts advising him anyway.
He is reigning in the out of control business people who could care less about their employees or
their country for that matter.
Obama is not the problem, he wouldn't have to take action if they behaved themselves
During the Steel crisis in the sixties President Kennedy said American Businessmen are SOB"s
and I guess that still applies.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
That great whooshing sound heard when markets opened after U.S. President Barack Obama’s re-election was air gushing out of the balloon investors hoped would lift the U.S. private sector out of four years in presidential purgatory.

Right...anyone remember what the DJIA was when Obama took office? It was at 8077 the week Obama took office. 46 months later, and it's at 12,795, after a gain of over 200 points today. A gain of 58.4% over the last nearly four years. Purgatory? Reality doesn't bare that out at all. Anyone with an ounce of critical thought in their head should be able to spot the difference.

Investors have done just fine.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
Right...anyone remember what the DJIA was when Obama took office? It was at 8077 the week Obama took office. 46 months later, and it's at 12,795, after a gain of over 200 points today. A gain of 58.4% over the last nearly four years. Purgatory? Reality doesn't bare that out at all. Anyone with an ounce of critical thought in their head should be able to spot the difference.

Investors have done just fine.

- It is certainly reassuring to hear from an authoritative business expert like yourself regarding how wonderfully well the US economy has done and how splendidly well controlled the US government debt has been in the four years of the Obama administation.

- Clearly, the Globe and Mail business writer who penned the column I cited in starting this thead is way off base and business confidence and investment and growth and profitabhility is just fantastic under Obama despite what all the polls of business confidence and all the economic indicators say.

- Clearly, too, the majority of business leaders would favour "The Amateur" (to use the title of Klein's recent best seller which was the label bestowed on Obama in private by Bill Clinton) who has never run a business or anything else other than his mouth in his life over a seasoned business professional with a sterling career in rescuing and revitalizing businesses like Romney.

- Getting serious, if you'll allow me, the stock market is not the sum total of the American economy and most people - particularly the poor and minority groups who supported Obama disproportionately - are only marginally connected to the stock market and its ups and downs. What matters to the masses of people on Main Street as opposed to the few on Wall Street are things like employment opportunities and security, rising after tax incomes, the value of their hard assets starting with their homes, interest and inflation rates, and the projections for the economy going forward.

- The stock market has done reasonably well as usual despite Obama and in part because there is no money to be made in the bond market but almost all of the rest of the economy has done miserably in this the slowest recovery of the nine since WWII and the government debt has grown faster than ever before and reached alarming proportions meaing that trillions were blown by the Obama administration to no lasting positive effect.

- Anybody with an ounce of common sense and objectivity and the ability to focus on the big picture knows that.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
- Anybody with an ounce of common sense and objectivity and the ability to focus on the big picture knows that.

Objectivity wouldn't lead someone to say the stock market has been in purgatory. The facts clearly show otherwise.

Also, do you not have enough faith in your own understanding of quantity to be able to determine for yourself that the Globe and Mail piece was utter rubbish? Most 3 year old children know principles of quantity. What you are doing is an appeal to authority, and doesn't speak well of your faculties.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
I read this as a supposed document that would be educational. Instead I got more of the
same excuses why people should not cooperate with the duly elected government of the
United States of America. Many forget, Obama is a millionaire who likely has significant
investments in the companies he supposedly hates. Being an amateur is not correct
either he is a lawyer if i am not mistaken.
Business has ruled America for many years, but the fact is it is supposed to be a constitutional
democracy where the collective will of the people through an election that are supposed to set
the agenda. This time the business interests won just as much as anyone else. Many business
leaders supported Obama, in addition notable people like Christie the former governor of Florida
supported Obama, Colin Powell supported Obama. There were others as well.
Obama has to reign in some of these business interests they drove this country to near collapse
with their out of control antics. They behave like economic vultures with the advent of deregulation,
they looked after personal interests by dismantling the factories and sending them to China a total
dictatorship that is foreign to our values. The fact is business in many cases no longer has any
real values or ethics both ways. First they build their factories in countries with no human rights
and secondly they are prepared to sell you shoddy goods devoid of quality. It is time someone said
enough and Obama is the one who finally decided to take some action.
In short Obama is not an amateur and he has financial experts advising him anyway.
He is reigning in the out of control business people who could care less about their employees or
their country for that matter.
Obama is not the problem, he wouldn't have to take action if they behaved themselves
During the Steel crisis in the sixties President Kennedy said American Businessmen are SOB"s
and I guess that still applies.
There are no good guys vs. bad guys in the us. Everyone is a bad guy.

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Of course Gwyn Morgan supports Romney: he was the same type of tycoon when he ran Alberta Energy Company. For him to side with Obama would indict his personal philosophy.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
I wonder if Gwyn would say the same thing about Canadian investors being in purgatory because of Harper...I really doubt that.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
- LW ... Nah, I'm more of a rye whiskey guy and besides I am retired and in reasonable financial shape albeit not as good as I would have been had I stayed in the public sector in the 1970s instead of resigning out of sheer boredom coupled with a feeling that what I was doing was a collosal waste of time and the people's taxes.

- The folks who'll need tears in their beer are the thousands of relatively young, junior level Canadian employees of companies that count on American export sales to be able to make a profit and continue to employ people.

- juan ... Well said!

- What America needs to really prosper is some ******* who is ignorant and contemptuous of business who will make things as difficult as possible for business leaders to be able to establish, operate and grow their businesses and to employ people in them!

- The last thing America needs to re-energize the business sector which finances the rest of the economy is someone who has a brilliant, proven track record in rescuing, turning around and growing businesses in a cross section of industries and circumstances.

- Have I ever told you how, err, deep I think you are, juan.
Instead you are still pushing for a guy whose main claim to fame is closing down American factories and shipping the jobs off to China. Yep that man is sooo good for the economy. IN CHINA.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
I wonder if Gwyn would say the same thing about Canadian investors being in purgatory because of Harper...I really doubt that.

- Try taking a remedial reading course. Gwyn did not say that American INVESTORS were in purgatory but rather that the PRIVATE SECTOR was in PRESIDENTIAL purgatory. To everyone but you this is an obvious reference to Obama's constant criticisms and put downs of business and business leaders and the private sector and the highest income earners of American society.

- Harper has not played the cheap and divisive politics of envy and class warfare and so no, neither Gwyn nor anyone else of sound mind would claim that the Canadian private sector was in prime ministerial purgatory.

- Furthermore, Harper's economic, fiscal and monetary policies have not been anti- business but rather have been sound and pro-business and conducive to economic growth which is hardly a surprise coming from a trained economist and a conservative and which stand out in stark contrast to the failed, anti-business, pro-government policies of an untrained tax, borrow and spend liberal whose faith is in the public sector with some chrony capitalism sprinkled in.

- And finally, the performance of the Canadian economy - in part due to Harper's wise stewardship - stands in marked contrast to the US economy so there is no objective reason for anyone of sound mind to complain about Harper putting the private sector in purgatory.

- In summary, your argument and your comparison are both misleading, specious and simplistic.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Basically, Obama's distaste for the private sector is echoed back at him by the private sector's business leaders.

America's Corporations Made A Record $824 Billion Last Year, As Conservatives Claim Obama Is Anti-Business | ThinkProgress

America’s Corporations Made A Record $824 Billion Last Year, As Conservatives Claim Obama Is Anti-Business

By Pat Garofalo on May 7, 2012 at 10:50 am
A favorite conservative attack on President Obama is that his policiesand even his personality — amount to an assault on American businesses. “President Obama himself is the most anti-business president in my lifetime. With rhetoric not befitting a president he has attacked oil companies, banks, airplane users, Wall Street and anyone who makes money,” wrote Gary Shapiro, president and CEO of the Consumer Electronics Association.
However, according to the latest data, President Obama has been very good for America’s biggest businesses. Last year, in fact, the Fortune 500 made a record $824 billion, topping the previous record set before the Great Recession:
The Fortune 500 generated a total of $824.5 billion in earnings last year, up 16.4% over 2010. That beats the previous record of $785 billion, set in 2006 during a roaring economy. The 2011 profits are outsized based on two key historical metrics. They represent 7% of total sales, vs. an average of 5.14% over the 58-year history of the Fortune 500. Companies are also garnering exceptional returns on their capital. The 500 achieved a return-on-equity of 14.3%, far above the historical norm of 12%.
Of course, that return to pre-recession level earnings hasn’t translated into job or wage growth for America’s workers. In fact, inflation-adjusted wages fell last year. Big companies are also squeezing more productivity out of their workers, with annual revenue generated per worker increasing by more than $40,000 over the last five years. CEO pay, meanwhile, increased 15 percent last year.
This data also puts the lie to the Republican claim that corporate tax cuts will spur businesses to hire. If all it took were extra cash, businesses would be hiring like crazy. However, they are clearly not doing so — and the effective corporate tax rate is already at a forty year low.

I thought we would not need to revisit this again but Teddy still hasn't gotten the memo.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister

A better example would be to analyze Stelmach's actions while the Premier of Alberta... He made the threat to increase royalty rates in the province... Industry responded (almost immediately) by allocating the E&P dollars in other locations (BC and Sask in particular).

Bear in mind that Stelmach didn't actually change the rates, he just threatened to... What Gwyn Morgan is (likely) saying about Obama is similar to the dynamic the AB gvt recently experienced

Instead you are still pushing for a guy whose main claim to fame is closing down American factories and shipping the jobs off to China. Yep that man is sooo good for the economy. IN CHINA.

Dig a little deeper and ask yourself why these business' moved in the first place?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
- Business columnist Gwyn Morgan provides a cautionary tale as to what business and the majority of Americans who still rely on the wealth that business creates can expect during four more years of "The Amateur" Barack Obama as president.

- Basically, Obama's distaste for the private sector is echoed back at him by the private sector's business leaders.

- Combine Obama's ignorance about and demonizing of business with his regulatory witch hunt, his counterproductive union payoffs, his public sector expansion and his spending, tax and borrowing binges and it would be counter-intuitive to expect a resurgence of American business between now and 2016..

- Even if Obama had the right policy mix to re-energize and to help unleash the potential of the US business sector at this time when significant economic growth is the most essential factor in dealing with the US costs and debt burden, the lack of confidence, negativity and in many cases contempt that business leaders rightly have for this president and his administration will also tend to drag down the economy at the time it most needs to perform well.

- Those who are not privileged enough to be safely enscounced in or pensioned off by the public sector can expect a rough four years ahead with the suffering falling disporportionately on those who voted most heavily for Obama, the poor and the visible minorities. And other countries - starting with Canada - will not escape the impact of the poor US economic and fiscal performances of the next four years.

OPINION

Four more years of demonizing American big business

GWYN MORGAN

Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Sunday, Nov. 18 2012, 7:00 PM EST

Last updated Sunday, Nov. 18 2012, 4:04 PM EST

While Mr. Obama had rightly denounced greedy investment bankers for igniting the 2008 financial crisis, he failed to differentiate between Wall Street’s culprits and the great majority of American businesses that became victims of the ensuing recession. As if this demonization of American business wasn’t demoralizing enough, the Obama administration unleashed a regulatory witch hunt, forcing corporations to focus on costly, unproductive legal defences rather than create jobs.

While railing against companies that were forced to move manufacturing offshore to survive, he introduced legislation making domestic manufacturing even more costly by removing the secret ballot rights of workers facing unionization. Predictably, private sector job growth remained anemic, leaving the White House to rely on deficit spending for economic recovery. But the economic doldrums continue, even after Washington drove up the national debt by 60 per cent to a staggering $16-trillion (U.S.) over the past four years.

Meanwhile, the damage wrought by this fiscal folly is hitting home with a vengeance. Mr. Obama begins his second term with the so called “fiscal cliff” looming on Dec. 31. And what is the likely outcome of efforts to avoid that fiscal cliff? Continuing to borrow and spend at a reckless pace, setting the nation on course to add yet at another $1-trillion of federal debt in 2013.

There is much to admire about Mr. Obama’s personal traits. He is a good husband and father, he genuinely cares about people, and he really wants to do the right thing. The same can be said of Mitt Romney. What separates the two is how to achieve the best result for the American people. And that has largely been shaped by their contrasting life experiences.

Mr. Obama, a former civil rights lawyer and university professor, has never worked in the private sector. Perhaps that’s at the root of his skepticism and mistrust of what he derisively calls “big business” and why he believes that only government spending can fuel economic growth.

Mr. Romney, on the other hand, spent his prepolitical career figuring out how to turn around beleaguered private sector businesses. He understands that no country can consume wealth without first creating it. And he knows that unleashing the potential the world’s most innovative and capable private sector is the only way the United States has or ever will rise from the depths of the Great Recession.

Today in the United States, almost one in six survives on government food stamps and, as Mr. Romney infamously stated during the Republican primaries, 47 per cent of Americans don’t earn enough to pay income tax. Mr. Romney’s statement came across as blaming these people, when he should have blamed Mr. Obama’s failure to unleash job creation. The cruellest thing a government can do is make people dependent on public programs that can’t be sustained. Their suffering, when America hits that inevitable debt wall, will be profound. And, like an earthquake, the impact will reverberate most severely in its closest neighbours.

The fiscal cliff will be temporarily avoided through band-aid political compromises, or it will be simply punted down the road by a few months. And the national debt limit will be raised again and again because, with one out of every three dollars of public expenditures financed by borrowing and half of U.S. spending tied to social security entitlements, stopping the growth of the national debt would require cutting more than half of all other spending. The only way to keep from going over that fiscal cliff is private sector job and wealth creation – in other words, growth.

A Romney win would have encouraged that to happen, but it’s hard to be optimistic that Mr. Obama will unleash the potential of American business in the next four years any better than he did in his first term.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The worst possible thing that could have happened would have been a Romney win.
That would have brought uncertainty as Romney was one thing one day and a Tea
Party influenced the candidate the next. It all depended on the last person he talked
to.
The fact is the markets now know what they are dealing with and they adapt, in addition
the people won the election not the big money boys who buy the favour of government.
Oh they tried they spent hundreds of millions of dollars and they lost. The reason they
lost is because the people wanted to go in a different direction. Its Called Democracy
and the people have spoken.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
The right is losing credibility on these economic arguments. They've had 3 decades to deliver with their tax breaks, trickle-down and "globalization", and all that has occured is the rich got richer and the poorer got screwed. Time for the right-side idealogues to acknowledge that there is more to economics than just their pockets getting padded.

TeddyBallgame

Time Out
Mar 30, 2012
Why Big Business Bosses Balk At Barack

I have sent a report to the head of the CC moderation tribunal suggesting you be arrested and fined for alliteration.

- DB ... But alliteration is my life! Give me alliteration or give me death. A day without alliteration is like a day without a Fat Bastard (the Fat Bastard shiraz is the finest dry red wine under $20).

- Further to the general discussion in this thread as to whether or not the private sector has been condemned to presidential purgatory during Obama's first term comes the following report which reveals that US small business optimism is at its lowest point in modern history, worse even than during the Carter nightmare, following the defeat of Romney and the GOP on November 6th.

News | Obama Quickly Crushing the Hopes of Small Business | FreedomWorks | FreedomConnector