US Fiscal Cliff-

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
US Fiscal Cliff-

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/15/us/politics/obama-holds-first-news-conference-since-june.html?hp
The president used his first official news conference since June to urge haste in budget negotiations meant to avert abrupt shifts in taxes and spending at the end of the year, and he called on Congress to extend middle-class tax cuts immediately, before lawmakers begin working on a complete deficit agreement.

He insisted that he would not agree to a similar extension of Bush-era tax rates on the highest levels of income.

“We should not hold the middle class hostage while we debate tax cuts on the wealthy,” the president declared in an opening statement. Appearing before reporters in the East Room of the White House, he said that “right now, our economy is still recovering from a very deep and damaging crisis, so our top priority has to be jobs and job creation.”

Speaker Boehner says Republicans want to avoid January tax increases without boosting rates - The Washington Post

WASHINGTON — House Speaker John Boehner says Republicans want to cooperate with President Barack Obama on reducing federal deficits, but not by raising income tax rates.

Boehner spoke soon after Obama told reporters the GOP-run House should let taxes rise on the richest Americans. Boehner, an Ohio Republican, said that would hurt job creation.

The speaker said there has been a spirit of cooperation between congressional Republicans and the White House. He said he is optimistic about talks beginning Friday between the White House and congressional leaders about averting the fiscal cliff — tax increases and spending cuts occurring automatically in January unless lawmakers reach a compromise to avert them.

Obama presses GOP on fiscal cliff: Rich must pay more taxes | Economy | News | Financial Post

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama said Wednesday he was not going to “slam the door” in the face of Republican ideas for avoiding the so-called fiscal cliff, but he insisted the wealthy must pay more and that he was determined to keep taxes from rising on the middle class in the face of a year-end deadline to avoid big tax increases for all Americans and deep cuts in government spending.

“We could go back into recession. It would be a bad thing,” Obama said, describing a scenario where lawmakers fail to agree on the tax and spending issues associated with the “fiscal cliff” by year-end deadlines.

The president, newly elected to a second four-year term, campaigned on raising the tax rate for U.S. households making more than US$250,000 a year, citing the robust economic growth that accompanied higher rates for upper-income Americans during Bill Clinton’s presidency in the 1990s. Congressional Republicans have hinted at a willingness to allow taxes to rise but insist, in line with party ideology, that rates cannot increase. They envision higher tax revenue through changes to the tax codes.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
I do not see how the US can avoid raising taxes and cut spending on all social programs.
I listened to a program today. 1/10th of 1 percent of the population hold approx 8 % of the wealth. At one time not long ago it was 1 % controlled 10 % of the wealth.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
No compromise. It's better to go over the cliff in the hope that our enemies don't survive the fall.

That is a valid point as well. Listened to Obama tonight and carbon. Appears he is listening to everyone except business.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
That is a valid point as well. Listened to Obama tonight and carbon. Appears he is listening to everyone except business.
During the course of the next four years America will experience domestic and foreign tragedies of tremendous magnitude. Obama and the leftists will be totally alone in dealing with those crises. He who lives by the partisan sword dies by the partisan sword. And yes that includes me.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
During the course of the next four years America will experience domestic and foreign tragedies of tremendous magnitude. Obama and the leftists will be totally alone in dealing with those crises. He who lives by the partisan sword dies by the partisan sword. And yes that includes me.
Hairy Kary! Romney would not have changed anything. America's downhill slide started long before Obama and there was never any way to stop it. Hold on to your testicles. The bottom of that precipice is coming up fast.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
Hairy Kary! Romney would not have changed anything. America's downhill slide started long before Obama and there was never any way to stop it. Hold on to your testicles. The bottom of that precipice is coming up fast.

I think you meant harakiri not Hairy Kary.

America is clearly past the tipping point. The difference between Romeny and Obama is twofold for my purposes. Romney would have slowed the pace of dissipation. Moreover, Romney didn't want to take my stuff and give it to the indolent.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
I think you meant harakiri not Hairy Kary.

America is clearly past the tipping point. The difference between Romeny and Obama is twofold for my purposes. Romney would have slowed the pace of dissipation. Moreover, Romney didn't want to take my stuff and give it to the indolent.
The miss spelling was intentional. It made as much sense as railing against the inevitable. I think, what is happening to the US is Karma. They have meddled in the affairs of other countries for their own short term gain and are now paying the prices for their interference.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
The miss spelling was intentional. It made as much sense as railing against the inevitable. I think, what is happening to the US is Karma. They have meddled in the affairs of other countries for their own short term gain and are now paying the prices for their interference.
Well, that's as plausible an analysis as I've heard from anyone else.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I disagree, he would have redecorated the white house and ordered new dinnerware. When uncle sham hits the pit bottom Canada will be three or four mm behind.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
If this situation is so threatening why hasn't the White House prosecuted its staff members who are delinquent in their personal Income Taxes yet? Sources indicate it is now a large sum of money. It may not alleviate the problems but if it is this serious every penny ****s.

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
If this situation is so threatening why hasn't the White House prosecuted its staff members who are delinquent in their personal Income Taxes yet? Sources indicate it is now a large sum of money. It may not alleviate the problems but if it is this serious every penny ****s.
I see you forgot the "o" in counts. The budget could be balanced if they could tax all that CEO money hidden in off shore accounts.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
No compromise. It's better to go over the cliff in the hope that our enemies don't survive the fall.

The enemies within have pushed you off the cliff precisely so they don't share the fate of the common man. They rarely do maybe this time Americans will prevail, but the sand seems all but run out methinks.