U.S. conservatives change their minds on immigration

Icarus27k

Council Member
Apr 4, 2010
...after President Obama won Latinos by so much. That would be a good bipartisan compromise. Making illegal immigrants legal.

When Democrats tried to get the DREAM Act and a path to citizenship for young undocumented immigrants through Congress in 2010, Republicans blocked the immigration reform measure in the Senate. But after a campaign in which GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney staked out harsh anti-immigration positions, and with President Obama winning 75 percent of Latino voters, several key leaders in the Republican party are coming out in favor of immigration reform:
  • House Speaker John Boehner (OH): Saying the issue has been around for far too long, Boehner said in an ABC interview that “I’m confident that the president, myself, others can find the common ground to take care of this issue once and for all.”
  • Former Gov. Haley Barbour (MS): Haley argued on the “Today” show that Republicans need to be in favor of good policy. “And good policy on immigration in the United States is, we are in a global battle for capital and labor, and we need to have what is good economic policy for America on immigration because we do need labor,” he said. “We not only need Ph.Ds in science and technology, we need skilled workers and we need unskilled workers. And we need to have an immigration policy that is good economic policy, and then — and then the politics will take care of itself.”
  • Radio host Sean Hannity: On his radio show Thursday, Hannity told his listeners that he has “evolved” on immigration policy and now supports a “pathway to citizenship.” The problem can’t go on, he added. “It’s simple to me to fix it,” Hannity said. “I think you control the border first. You create a pathway for those people that are here — you don’t say you’ve got to go home. And that is a position that I’ve evolved on. Because, you know what, it’s got to be resolved. The majority of people here, if some people have criminal records you can send them home, but if people are here, law-abiding, participating for years, their kids are born here, you know, first secure the border, pathway to citizenship, done.”
Sen. Jerry Moran (R-KS), who is running for the chairmanship of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, told Politico that Republicans will have to change how they reach out to Latino voters. “In some fashion, the way we have dealt with immigration gives us a black eye. And we need to figure out how to talk about issues and pursue policies that matter to Latino, Hispanic voters,” he said. And that’s clear from the exit poll results.

Top Republicans Suddenly Back Immigration Reform After Latinos Overwhelmingly Back Obama | ThinkProgress

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Both sides hatred and pure old playing BS had to stop. 300 K votes could have elected Romney. Obama this time realizes he does not have a large endorsement. Same with the Repubs - I understand a number of baggers went down the crap shoot.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
I live with illegal aliens and their ignorant gangbanging children. They have nothing to offer except ignorance and impoverishment. Their primary objective in life is to improve their condition by getting free stuff paid for by someone else.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
The election results on Tuesday must really have shaken Republicans to the core, because they are saying things I never thought possible. If you thought Sean Hannity's sudden love of immigration reform was a jaw-dropper, wait till you get a load of what Bill Kristol said this morning on Fox News Sunday:

Kristol may be opening a door for the GOP to say, "Okay, we'll allow tax hikes if it's just on people making $1 million a year or more instead of the $250,000 or more that Obama wants." You know, to make them look "reasonable."

And in typical Kristol fashion, he tries to make it palpable for the GOP by saying, "Hey guys, here's your chance to stick it to all those Hollywood liberals!"

Bill Kristol on Raising Millionaires' Taxes - YouTube

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
I live with illegal aliens and their ignorant gangbanging children. They have nothing to offer except ignorance and impoverishment. Their primary objective in life is to improve their condition by getting free stuff paid for by someone else.

Really, where do you live again.. and you know these folks are illegal how??

...or are you just saying they look brown, speak with an accent, they must be wetbacks..

Your above statement is ridiculous, ignorant and outright racist.. just painting a class of people with the same brush. The Hispanics that I have met are hard working, send their money back to family in their home country, and very family oriented..

Sound to me, you are associating with Chicana, that are Legally here and don't give a crap if they have to deal with police or get tossed in jail.

I've lived in California and drove taxi all over Los Angeles.. so don't give me any guff ..