Lot's of Firsts Last Night Apparently

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Voters in Washington and Colorado legalize recreational marijuana

By Eric Pfeiffer, Yahoo! News | The Ticket – 7 hours ago

It's been quite the night for marijuana in several ballot measures across the country.
Voters in Washington state and Colorado appear to have voted "yes" on measures that would legalize the sale of pot to adults, without the need for a doctor's prescription. Massachusetts voters have overwhelmingly approved a medical marijuana ballot measure. (AP)(The final votes are still being counted.) And earlier Tuesday evening, voters in Massachusetts overwhelmingly approved the measure to allow the use of medical marijuana.
Oregon voters have to decide on a similar measure to those passed in Washington and Colorado, which would allow marijuana use for any individual over the age of 21, but it appears to have been defeated.
Arkansas's medical marijuana initiative also appears to have been defeated.
Montana, which already has a medical marijuana law, is voting on whether or not to restrict patient access in the state.
So far, states that have approved medical marijuana have walked a fine line with federal laws that still prohibit the sale of marijuana under any circumstances. The full legalization of marijuana in these two states is expected to increase that tension between local and federal laws.
In total, six states are considering marijuana initiatives.
"Now that this law has been passed [in Massachusetts], it will finally be legal and safe for myself and many others in the state to procure the medicine," Eric McCoy, 59, told the Boston Globe.
NBC News reports that 17 states and the District of Columbia already have laws allowing for the medical use of marijuana, according to the National Council of Legislatures.

Voters in Washington and Colorado legalize recreational marijuana | The Ticket - Yahoo! News Canada

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I had heard in several news reports that if Washington did indeed vote in favor of legalization it would give impetus to a similar campaign in BC. If I were Ms Clark, I would be seriously considering jumping on the band wagon. Never can tell what it might do for your chances come election time. ;-)

It also appears that recognizing the right of gay persons to marry took a big leap forward in many states last night.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
Think about this, an openly gay Senator, the change to pot laws, and the real beginning of the
change in the definition of marriage. On all of those issues the Republicans were on the wrong
side of history.
Republicans are not merely a fiscal conservative group that wants a fiscal conservative America
The GOP has been hijacked by the rabble, the Tea Party extremists, the Born Again right wing
of no compromise and attack dog politics.
Last night the people of America decided enough already, its time to embrace change and to
decide that people are entitled to individual rights to guide their lives unencumbered by church
doctrines and a small group that decides who can do what. Oh there are social boundaries and
there should be, its called the law, but in the social arena the new generation is taking charge
with their vote.
If the Republicans want to be mainstream they must decide pot is like booze, marriage is about
who people want to love and the Democrats might have learned the financial world must change
to some degree to accommodate the reality they are facing. I also believe the rich must pay their
share and the tax advantage they have must die on the order paper. Put people back to work
is the order of the day and People felt more comfortable with Obama and the beginning of change.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It appears that all 4 ballot initiatives supporting same sex 'marriage' passed (although the outcome is still in doubt in Washington State). It seems to show a critical loss of moral faculties in a large part of the electorate.. sapped in by the sentimental nonsense and sophistry put out by the homosexual lobby. You cannot reduce legal marriage.. the keystone of any civilized society.. into a grotesque absurdity celebrating prurient gratification and narcissism without the most profound long term effects on society.

Although not nearly as caustic.. the legalization of Marijuana is the thin edge of a wedge of drug legalization. Again part of the post structural culture.. of surrender to self delusion.. and inebriation.. driven by a deep pessimism and social lethargy. Nothing good will come of this.

Last edited:

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
It appears that all 4 ballot initiatives supporting same sex 'marriage' passed (although the outcome is still in doubt in Washington State). It seems to show a critical loss of moral faculties in a large part of the electorate.. sapped in by the sentimental nonsense and sophistry put out by the homosexual lobby. You cannot reduce legal marriage.. the keystone of any civilized society.. into a grotesque absurdity celebrating prurient gratification and narcissism without the most profound long term effects on society.

Although not nearly as caustic.. the legalization of Marijuana is the thin edge of a wedge of drug legalization. Again part of the post structural culture.. of surrender to self delusion.. and inebriation.. driven by a deep pessimism and social lethargy. Nothing good will come of this.

Blah blah blah blah blah.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The change to marriage laws has nothing to do with moral ground or evil. It has to do
with, is America going to recognize family arrangements and lifestyles and that all have
the right to live the American dream?
Who someone loves is none of my business and certainly not the business of the State.
I also have full confidence in the institution of marriage, I don't see how it has any effect
of my relationship with my wife, children or twenty two grand kids. If someone wants to
be included in a marriage arrangement common law, homosexual or what ever if they
want to be married so be it.
All these people who are resisting change and claiming Gods wrath upon us all are merely
the shrill voices of discontent and insecurity.