- 88 percent of White students
- 81 percent of Hispanic students
- 74 percent of Black students

For math at or above the grade level, the goals are as follows:

- 92 percent of Asian students
- 86 percent of White students
- 80 percent of Hispanic students

Proponents bearing the soft prejudice of low expectations have won. Game over.

story: Florida Passes Plan For Racially-Based Academic Goals « CBS Tampa

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via Zip:

CNN a-n-a-l-yst Defends Florida’s New Race-Based Academic Goals…

Try and follow this guy’s logic, I tried, it gave me a migraine. Update to this story.
Via CNN:
[T]alking about this and other topics related to race doesn’t make one a racist. But denying its relevance in everyday life has the potential to hurt everyone. For example, the Florida State Board of Education has recently come under fire because the academic achievement goals it set for minority students appear to be lower than the ones set for white students. By the 2017-18 school year, the board wants to have 88% of white students at or above the grade level benchmark for reading but only 81% of Latinos and 74% of blacks.

The reason: the disparity in the current reading level. While 69% of whites reach that mark now, only 53% of Latinos and just 38% of blacks do. That’s a problem, not only in terms of students’ ability to get into college, but just having a workforce in the state that is literate. So though the percentages of the 2017-18 goals seem biased in favor of whites, the percentage increase seeks to aggressively address a major reading problem plaguing minorities.

This isn’t racist. This is recognizing that if this racial disparity goes unchecked, it could have debilitating long-term effects on Florida’s economy.

Some think the word diversity is a euphemism for “anything but white,” but I don’t. I believe in the diversity of thought, which sometimes can play out racially, but not always. Having people from different geographic locations can introduce different insight and talent to a college campus or workforce, and variations of socioeconomic status bring in diversity as well.

Keep reading…

http://weaselzippers.us/2012/10/13/cnn-****yst-defends-floridas-new-race-based-academic-goals/

What's wrong with affirmative action -- and why we need it - CNN.com

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Is Shrubs brother still Governor?

Yes mushrooms can keep one blissful........

I have personal experience with the Floriduh educational system. When I was in grade 5 we moved to Florida (father transferred/promoted) in 1969. After 3 weeks in grade 5 there I was given a test which after the result they installed me in their version of grade 7. My parents simply said that the florida system was different than the canadian system and I never thought much about it.

Who is Rick Scott

Rick Scott has said he would have immediately stopped his former hospital company from committing Medicare fraud — if only "somebody told me something was wrong."

Yet Scott was scheduled to be interviewed by investigators, according to media reports at the time. During a July 27, 2000, deposition in a civil lawsuit involving an unrelated contract dispute, Scott refused to answer questions by invoking his right to Fifth Amendment protection from self-incrimination 75 times — a maneuver that can be legally applied only when the witness suspects he is the target of criminal investigation.

Columbia/HCA reports warned Rick Scott of potential legal problems - Tampa Bay Times

and

Rick Scott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida Governor Rick Scott trying to push private vouchers through a back door by creating more F schools so the state can then step in and hand them off.

Florida Schools Chief Says New Grade Proposals Under Review | StateImpact Florida

How Governor Rick Scott is Sabotaging Florida's Universities

How Governor Rick Scott is Sabotaging Florida's Universities - Forbes

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
via smalldeadanimals:

Your Modern Educators, Hard at Work

The Florida State Board of Education has passed a new strategic plan:

For reading at or above the grade level, the goals are as follows:

- 90 percent of Asian students
- 88 percent of White students
- 81 percent of Hispanic students

For math at or above the grade level, the goals are as follows:

- 92 percent of Asian students
- 86 percent of White students
- 80 percent of Hispanic students

Proponents bearing the soft prejudice of low expectations have won. Game over.

story: Florida Passes Plan For Racially-Based Academic Goals « CBS Tampa

This seriously risks backfiring. Even a non-racist employer will now have to question competence based on race. If the problem is that blacks tend to be discriminated against in the workplace, or that their grades tend to be low owing to being born into poor or broken families, etc. then deal with the problem directly through job training for the unemployed, etc. not this way.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Yep. Mach is right.
This does nothing to prepare non-white students for higher education and perpetuates the higher education levels to be populated by whites. Flatout stupidity. Attack the problem at its roots, don't attack it with a bandaid that has no adhesive.