A Free House for Every Child

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
via sda

Or, in the case of Detroit 2 free houses for every child.

small dead animals: A Free House for Every Child

Detroit Math

So, I was listening to Garage Logic which is a show all of you should listen to and Joe Soucheray (the host) kept on citing that St. Paul public schools spend $17,000 per pupil per year. This translates into $221,000 per pupil over the course of their k-12 career, and that does not include baby-sitting school...er...I mean "pre-school."

This got me thinking.

"What if we just gave the kids the $221,000 instead of educated them? Wouldn't they be better off? I mean, I never had $221,000 in my name in my LIFE. But by the age of 18, you could buy a house FOR CASH and never have to pay rent again."

So I looked up the median price of a home in St. Paul. $197,607 (though this may change of course).

It's actually CHEAPER to BUY A HOUSE in St. Paul than educate one of their precious chllllllldrnnnnnnn. You could buy 1.1 houses per pupil instead of sending them to school.

And I think that's a great ratio to see how much we're pissing away...err..."investing" in the chllllldrnnnnnn. "Houses Afforded Per Pupil."

Seeing this isn't terribly difficult to look up, I decided to calculate a couple other cities' "Houses Afforded Per Pupil" and see if just giving these chlllllldrnnnn their education-cash equivalent instead, wouldn't be a better investment.

more

Captain Capitalism: Detroit Math

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
lol Trade a kid's education for a house? Genius. A nation full of kids with houses and pretty much intellectually bereft. Dictators & such despots just love a dumbed down public.
And good luck getting enough of a wage to pay the property taxes, insurance, etc. that goes along with the house.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
lol Trade a kid's education for a house? Genius. A nation full of kids with houses and pretty much intellectually bereft. Dictators & such despots just love a dumbed down public.
And good luck getting enough of a wage to pay the property taxes, insurance, etc. that goes along with the house.

They wouldn't know about those costs. Heat, power,water....