Senate Republicans kill veterans jobs bill

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
In their short work week before heading out of town, Senate Republicans decided to give the finger to veterans, using a procedural vote to kill the Veterans Jobs Corp Act, 58-40.

The Veterans Jobs Corp Act would have created new job-training programs to help veterans find work in targeted fields such as national park conservation, historic preservation projects, police work and firefighting, among others.

The unemployment rate for Iraq, Afghanistan and Gulf War II-era Veterans—those who would have most benefitted from the bill—is now at 10.9 percent, but Republicans blocked this bill because they don't want anything that could remotely help anyone to happen under President Obama's watch.

That, and they don't really give a **** about veterans, much like Mitt Romney, who called the men and women fighting in Afghanistan items on a laundry list.

That's just how Republicans are.

http://thehill.com/b...ith-budget-vote

The White House responds:

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary

Statement by the Press Secretary on the Veterans Jobs Corps

No veteran who fought for our nation should have to fight for a job at home, but Republicans in Washington are blocking a common sense plan to create the Veterans Jobs Corps and put tens of thousands of veterans back to work.

Working with Democrats and Republicans in Congress, the Obama Administration has already made real progress to help veterans find jobs. We passed tax credits to encourage employers to hire veterans and released new tools to connect veterans with employers. And thanks to the First Lady and Dr. Biden’s Joining Forces Initiative, more than 2,000 businesses have hired or trained more than 125,000 veterans and military spouses in the past year. But we can do more and Senate Republicans should not block legislation that includes many of their ideas and stand between veterans and good jobs protecting and preserving America.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Ummm... is anyone aware how broke the United States is?

What I know about Mitt Romney and veterans is that before Mitt Romney was the Governor of Massachusetts, all veterans in Massachusetts were not considered veterans from 1975 onwards. That meant if you served after the Vietnam War you weren't a veteran unless you got an Expeditionary Medal for some sort of operation.

Mitt Romney replaced that discriminatory practice that was put in place by the Democrats in my liberal state. Before that, hundreds of thousands of veterans from Massachusetts were unable to collect veterans benefits because Democrats did not consider them really veterans.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

So is it better to pay welfare, or to pay for someone to learn a skill that lands them a job? Which one of those paths over the long haul uses less government spending, and creates revenue to pay down your debt?

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
USA broke? The Senate recently approved a $100 billion highway funding bill. I forget all the actual data behind it but I do believe a number of self proclaimed fiscally conservative states stand to improve by it.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
So is it better to pay welfare, or to pay for someone to learn a skill that lands them a job? Which one of those paths over the long haul uses less government spending, and creates revenue to pay down your debt?

Oh... this money come from where? Penalties and more taxes.

All these veterans are all headed for welfare unless the government steps in? The jobless rate among returning vets is now about 10% under Obama.

USA broke? The Senate recently approved a $100 billion highway funding bill. I forget all the actual data behind it but I do believe a number of self proclaimed fiscally conservative states stand to improve by it.

I forgot... how can we be broke if we have printing presses.

Last edited:

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012

What I know about Mitt Romney and veterans is that before Mitt Romney was the Governor of Massachusetts, all veterans in Massachusetts were not considered veterans from 1975 onwards. That meant if you served after the Vietnam War you weren't a veteran unless you got an Expeditionary Medal for some sort of operation.

Mitt Romney replaced that discriminatory practice that was put in place by the Democrats in my liberal state. Before that, hundreds of thousands of veterans from Massachusetts were unable to collect veterans benefits because Democrats did not consider them really veterans.

The following may help us understand how broke the USA is (I'll assume you mean financially and not morally).

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/us-american-politics/108996-thread-dedicated-lies-spin-bs-3.html

And you best put up a link on the Mittens claim for verification because he needs all the help he can get...........

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
Please, note that ALL of those jobs are Government jobs. The government wants to increase the number of Federal employees, but they would have to borrow the money to do so.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The following may help us understand how broke the USA is (I'll assume you mean financially and not morally).

http://forums.canadiancontent.net/us-american-politics/108996-thread-dedicated-lies-spin-bs-3.html

And you best put up a link on the Mittens claim for verification because he needs all the help he can get...........

WTF is this?

Oh yeah... the trillions in debt means nothing. I guess we can keep printing and borrowing from China to keep our gluttony going.

Keep kicking that can ya'll!

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Oh... this money come from where? Penalties and more taxes.
The same place all government money comes from...yes. But you're skirting the issue. Is it favourable for your economy, and the fiscal health of your government to have more or less people employed? Loaning someone money for skills development that lands them a job is a good thing. Your fiscal cliff is made worse by having large numbers of unemployed and underemployed Americans.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
They're still borrowing to distribute to corporate welfare bums.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Thanks for the article. Maybe Congress is tired of borrowing money from third parties.

Disgruntled veterans are thought most likely to form the backbone of the rising new continental army. They know they're getting screwed even before they come home. The 10 per cent unemployment figure is horse**** it's over twenty worse than the last depression.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Thanks for the article. Maybe Congress is tired of borrowing money from third parties.

Yeah right. Politicians tired of spending your money. :lol:

I see you're as eager as ES to side step the issue.

Funny how the GOP rants about jobs jobs jobs, and every chance they get kill bills to address the unemployment problem with procedural votes.

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
The same place all government money comes from...yes. But you're skirting the issue. Is it favourable for your economy, and the fiscal health of your government to have more or less people employed? Loaning someone money for skills development that lands them a job is a good thing. Your fiscal cliff is made worse by having large numbers of unemployed and underemployed Americans.

I didn't step aside the issue. I just haven't had my eyes glued to the thread. Cool your jets.

Of course it is favorable but where is the data that says this billion dollar program is going to make long term employment for veterans only? I have seen these programs raided and fall flat in the past. Billions upon billions squandered in training programs that basically get gobbled up in salaries for those running the programs. Government oversight is nonexistent in these programs. The Dems tacked the word Veterans onto it because it is an election year.

Nobody needs to remind me how hard it was after getting out of the military.

Want to do them a favor? Add additional benefits to the GI Bill. That puts a lot of money into the hands of veterans and less in government.

Yeah right. Politicians tired of spending your money. :lol:

I see you're as eager as ES to side step the issue.

Funny how the GOP rants about jobs jobs jobs, and every chance they get kill bills to address the unemployment problem with procedural votes.

Yes an economy that produces jobs. I love how it is apparent to some that only the government can produce jobs. Funny how we didn't see this jobs bill in Obama's first two years. Suddenly Veterans are important to the Democrats. LMAO. We aren't buying it... I'm a Veteran and I'm not buying it.

How many more trillions can we go into debt Tonnington?

They're still borrowing to distribute to corporate welfare bums.

Yeah that hasn't stopped yet either.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Of course it is favorable

Thanks for answering the question.

The Dems tacked the word Veterans onto it because it is an election year.

So what? Your Democrats have introduced many jobs bills, and they have been repeatedly blocked in the same procedural manner that this one was. Election year or not, that's just a red herring.

You've harped before about the jobs situation, as have all the GOP loud mouths who won't put their vote where their mouth is.

I love how it is apparent to some that only the government can produce jobs.

I love how people bitch and moan about jobs, and then demagogue against attempts to improve the employment issue in your country. Right now it is the liberals doing it in my country, and conservatives doing it in yours. It's damned foolish.

How many more trillions can we go into debt Tonnington?

How much would this bill add to the debt ES? Did you bother to check before making excuses for another blocked jobs bill?

EagleSmack

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 16, 2005
USA
Thanks for answering the question.

It wasn't hard. I was surprised you even had to ask it.

So what? Your Democrats have introduced many jobs bills, and they have been repeatedly blocked in the same procedural manner that this one was.
Because we're trillions in debt.

Election year or not, that's just a red herring.
BS... he spent the first two years on his Health Care Bill and did nothing about unemployment.

How much would this bill add to the debt ES? Did you bother to check before making excuses for another blocked jobs bill?
Oh right... more taxes and penalties on businesses. Oh and I am so sure these taxed and penalized companies will absorb these hits on their own and not pass it on to the customers. A bill that is already paid for the Dems say which is a load of dung. These taxes haven't been collected nor penalties been levied. And if they money doesn't come in? MORE DEBT. The bill must be paid Ton. And how do they know how many Vets will get jobs when the program has not even begun?

A good economy is what is needed so that private companies can start hiring and not Vets having to go groveling to some new government agency for a handout.

Just another potential bloated Government Agency that has been, for the time being, stopped.