California's Republicans are becoming a third party.

The Old Medic

Council Member
May 16, 2010
The World
The Times is an Ultra Liberal supporter of the Democrats. Do you think that this just MIGHT have an impact on this type of story?

And, the politician they cite is in one of the most liberal counties in the State (home of University of California-Santa Cruz, which is even more left wing that Cal Berkeley). Running as a Republican is political suicide in that country.

WLDB

Senate Member
Jun 24, 2011
Ottawa
It'd be interesting to see any type of third party rise in any state just to see what happens.

Vancouverite

Electoral Member
Dec 23, 2011
The LA Times is a liberal party, but it's probably true that the Democrats aren't doing that well either.

coldstream

on dbl secret probation
Oct 19, 2005
Chillliwack, BC
It's not just the Republicans. The Democrats radical promotion of homosexual marriage and abortion.. have left large segments of economically progressive, socially conservative voters.. who abhor the dogmatic libertarian and regressive policies of the New Right.. without a home. Both parties are locked into rigid ideological maxims.. on which no debate is allowed.

If you assume that a normal distribution of voters exist on two axes.. economic libertarian/dirigist.. and social conservatives/liberals.. then atleast half of the population is left without representation. The time is ripe for perhaps 2 new parties.. filling the two unrepresented quadrants.. 1. economic dirigist/social conservative.. 2. economic libertarian/social liberal.. Likely true of Canada as well.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
I'm a California resident and what I see is a GOP who is now involved in a class game involving US citizens. It is now trying to become the party of the wealthy here. I'll never support many of their candidates due to the class warfare image they are developing. Many of their incumbents in this state are snobs. If I can't share my concerns and views with them I'll never give them my vote!
Normbc9

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
The Times is an Ultra Liberal supporter of the Democrats. Do you think that this just MIGHT have an impact on this type of story?

And, the politician they cite is in one of the most liberal counties in the State (home of University of California-Santa Cruz, which is even more left wing that Cal Berkeley). Running as a Republican is political suicide in that country.

Yeah, that's why Cali elected Republican Ahnode Shortzpecker as guvner.

BaalsTears

Senate Member
Jan 25, 2011
Santa Cruz, California
I live in Santa Cruz, California. I know Bruce MacPherson. Nice guy, but he's like Arnold...a collaborator with extremist Democrats.

Santa Cruz is made up of older white rich people and dirt poor illegal aliens for the most part. The aliens service the rich whites sort of like Venezuela or some other Latin American country. This is the most beautiful place in the world, but it has no economy. The middle class here is dying...same thing is true statewide.

Republicans have no future in California because the Mexican demographic is sweeping the state. The problem is that the Mexicans here are impoverished and ignorant because there are no jobs and the public schools are worthless for the most part. California doesn't have much of a future itself...sort of like Republicans. The Democrats here will rule in Hell.

If one gets away from the Bay Area much of California is now at the Third World level. The poverty would shock Canadians.